Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2010-06-21, 7:33am
Tweedle Dumb

You don't have to sand mandrels, just a good soap (degreaser) and water wash and really dry before you dip them. Might just be the release, too. If it is anything like what I got in my starter kit... Uggg. When I ran out of that junk and had to buy a new bottle, I was so SHOCKED to see that it didn't flake off when I looked at it the wrong way. Ahhh.... my Fireworks days.... I soooo hated that torch. What a piece of shit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-06-21, 7:38am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperrein View Post
Thank you for the complement...and no, it is inside, right behind where I work. It has an over pressure alarm that's supposed to let people know if the line is kinked or blocked, so I cant just leave it on all the time. I get the propane going then I switch the oxycon on. Thank you guys so much for suggesting it! It's freaking easy to use and I have a never ending supply of oxy....LOVE it! Really really really glad I didn't get tanked (tho it's bar night tonight so I will be tanked later... hardee-har-har)

I have had one f*ck-up...I didn't sand my mandrels so the bead release keeps flaking off when I'm trying to do larger beads.
The best way to manage your oxycon is to turn it on and let it warm up and run for a few minutes before you are ready to torch - I turn mine own at the same time I turn on the kiln to warm up. Turn the oxy knob on the torch ON and let it run. When the time comes to light the torch, briefly turn the oxy off, turn propane on, light and then turn oxy back on and adjust your flame.

When the oxycon is running with the torch oxy wide open, the ball on the oxycon should be at about 4.5. Leave it like this always and then adjust the oxy flow on the torch.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.