LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2006-05-12, 9:46am
tweetysweetie

Default Making Vine Stringer - Part One

I haven't a clue as to how to get all the pics of this tutorial loaded in one thread, so I will do it in Part one, part two and if the mods could combine them? Sheesh...I can't figure this "easy????" part out, lol

After reading this thread, I thought I'd post the instructions that are included in my "student" booklet when I teach at GlassCraft Expo each year. The color numbers are for Bullseye glass, but you could substitue your own colors with Moretti instead. It is basically a lt-dk thing going on with the greens. Experiment, come up with your own color schemes.

Preperation: pull down black rod of glass to a 2-3mm stringer (this will be used to paint down your med. green stripe on barrel base)

1. Start with a base of #0126 spring green opalescent, build into a barrel, approximately 1/4" wide & 1/2" long. If you start small, it will be easier to handle the mass of glass. You will end up with a stringer at least a foot long, just depends on how fast you pull. (Picture 1)

2.Stripe 2 (two) stripes of #141 (or #145) opposite of each other on the base you just built, the stripes are one rod width in size (Picture 2) Do not melt these in, just yet.

3. Take thin black stringer and stripe down each side of the two stripes that you just placed opposite one another on the base barrel. Melt all this in smooth and re-shape into your barrel shape. (Picture 3 & 3a, 4)

4. Case with #1426 spring green transparent (Picture 5 & 5a) Melt in smoothly (Picture 6) Heat thoroughly and pull into your stringer.

Picture (7) Finished vine stringer

Tip: after the thorough heat, let outside of barrel start to "skin" (glass is slightly cooled on outside, change of color begins), then begin your pull. Pulling fast produces thin vines, slower = thicker.

Learning to pull stringer is easy, but takes practice and it is a "timing" thing of when to pull, how fast etc....with practice it will become easier & easier.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-05-12, 9:48am
tweetysweetie

Default Making Vine Stringer - Part two

sorry for the split thread.......
Attached Images

Old 2006-05-12, 3:41pm
Superkitty

That looks very nice! Do you have any pictures of it on a bead?

Thanks,
Deb
Old 2006-05-12, 3:44pm

Location: Im in Lawrenceburg TN .. about 1 1/2 south of Nashville

Thank you so much for your time and trouble to show me this

"If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."*John Irving*

Old 2006-05-19, 11:17am

now can you show us who to make flowers using that stuff.. LOL I know that's a vine, but it's got to be close to what people are using to make those flowers with too yes? no?? It's a great tutorial. Can I copy it to word and mess around with the set up of the pictures for my own use?

Facebook

Blogger
Old 2006-05-20, 9:33am
tweetysweetie

Arlene....your more than welcome to copy and re-arrange the tutorial. I wanted a nicer format for it but time was not in abundance. Yes, that is one of the stringers that makes the pretty vines on florals...I do not have any pictures to show (those beads are stored down south,boohoo).......ah, maybe next week, lol. Appreciate your taking the time to respond in the thread...lots of people looking, but few showing results of their efforts...I would like to see that! How folks have modified and used different color combos and post pics

Catharine

P.S. Thanks mods for combining this thread and killing the blank messed up one!!! teehee

Last edited by FiredDesires; 2006-05-20 at 9:37am.
Old 2006-05-22, 7:49pm

Very cool. Thanks. I hope to try it sometime. I usually remember I want to add a vine as I'm reaching for the stringer I didn't make.
Old 2006-05-25, 9:23am
IMAHO

I'll try it and see if I can get some decent pics of the results. Thanks for the Tut- it is always interesting to me how differently each person makes their cane.

"Free your mind and your glass will follow"
Old 2006-05-26, 11:34am
IMAHO

I hope someone is looking...
Does anyone know what color "141 or 145" are? Havin' a heck of a time figuring that out- is it another shade of green? substitutions?

"Free your mind and your glass will follow"
Old 2006-05-27, 7:01am
tweetysweetie

Julz, those are Bullseye numbers (see first post) but you can do these in Moretti glass, just use a light and dark green, for contrast.. I look forward to seeing your results..
Catharine

Old 2006-06-09, 9:02am
tweetysweetie

Hummmmm...guess I'm going to have to take time and make some florals to show with this vine cane stringer, nobody wants to share??????? This has about cured me from doing anymore tutorials....

Old 2006-06-09, 2:56pm
Me Ke Aloha Pumehana

Default Re: Stringer

This looks great. I am still very new to all this, yet. But I will try it and see what I come up with.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together!!

CA gift numbers: