Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-13, 5:23pm

I will be going out in just a few minutes. I will make sure to heat my rods in the kiln first.
Old 2011-06-13, 5:25pm

Have fun and post some pictures when you get them out of the kiln!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-06-13, 5:37pm

Hey, I am such an eager beaver I may take pictures as I am putting them IN the kiln. LOL
Old 2011-06-13, 5:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Snail View Post
Hey, I am such an eager beaver I may take pictures as I am putting them IN the kiln. LOL

Old 2011-06-13, 6:47pm
And silence is golden

I have been using the Devardi glass for a while now. Yes, a lot of the rods are not uniform in shape. However, I do love most of the colors. There are some that I have not been able to master yet. For the past few months, I have been making donut beads with all of my glass rods from different manufacturers. They all have several that are challenging just as Devardi does. I have found that a majority of the different rods from the various manufacturers prefer to be preheated as well. I like to preheat my rods in a stoneware mug of water that was placed in the microwave for about 2 minutes before putting the rods in the water. You can also place your rods on a non-flammable platform behind the flame, or a rod pre-heating rack, until you can add the rod preheater to your tool inventory.

One of the nice things about Devardi glass, is that it anneals well and for the most part, very little cracking afterwards. Once you get the hang of using this glass, I think you will enjoy it. There is such a wide pallet of colors to choose from.
Old 2011-06-13, 8:50pm

Edited because I was informed it isn't a good idea to complain about this glass online. Again, I am a newbie.

Last edited by Mountain Snail; 2011-06-13 at 9:55pm.
Old 2011-06-13, 10:12pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Who informed you of that? I want to hear it all - the good, bad and ugly!

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2011-06-13, 10:55pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I know that some people do not like you to say negative about... well anything. However, I think this is why this thread is here, we want to hear it all, I would be really upset if I invested ton of money to buy this glass, cause I know I would go over board, and find out it is not workable at all, and not one soul had the guts to tell it. Bashing somebody or going way beyond good taste is totally different, but saying what you said is just fine.
I try to not say my opinion very often here, just cause somebody always ends up snorting some peas up into their nostrils (I know, doesnt translate well for English) and what is the techical input and experiences for than just it???
Ok, Ill shut up for another year now, and will most likely lose it next summer again.
Carry on...

ETA: Ok, I didnt really lose it, just wanted to say that we need to be able to say our opinion on things... right?

Last edited by Pia Kaven; 2011-06-14 at 10:24am.
Old 2011-06-14, 3:31am
StudioMarcy

hi Mountain Snail, I read your original post and am sorry you had a hard time again. But for me, I think if we go through an analysis, we might be able to figure out how to make it work better. Some of the things that would be helpful is to know what kind of torch do you use? are you on oxy or concentrator (and if concentrator, is it a 5, 10 or what?) What is your holding temp in your kiln? and how long did you preheat them approx.?

Devardi seems to do better with cooler torches and you go slow, to go fast. Some of the people who have the least problems use hot head torches, which are cooler and fluffier flames than some of the oxy/propane mixes. I use a minor and don't always pre-heat and that does cause explosions with some of the glass.

So here is another trick that seems to work for me... on a surface mix torch, turn on just your propane and put your rod in it. Yes it will turn it black, but it is cooler and the black will go away. Keep it in there for a minute and then VERY slowly start adding in your oxy. Once you have your oxy up to speed, you'll see the black will go away, but you've slowly heated it. also, I found if I go too fast with partially preheated rods, the rest of the rod doesn't heat up fast enough to keep up. (I don't use a fluffy flame to heat it as I go) So I can get explosions there too. So when I'm working, I will periodically dip farther down the rod into the flame- kind of like preheating it as I am working.

I'm sorry about your burn. Hope you have a good cream. And let us know the details of your set up. Perhaps we can figure out what will work better for you.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-06-14, 7:57am

Mountain Snail, I use glass from a number of different makers and have found that Devardi has colors not found in other lines of 104. One very nice surprise was that their intense black really is intense black all the way down to hair thin stringers. At $6 a pound that makes it worth putting up with quirkiness. I think the quality of some of the colors is due to the fact that all their glass must be hand pulled. As others have said there is a learning curve for all the glass, it's a little more involved than learning to use crayons would be. This company is a good source for glass with which to practice and learn. If nothing else the price lets you not think so much about the cost of the learning curve. There is a little more patience required, but that can lead to learning more quickly and maybe alleviate some of the newbie stress we all have in the beginning.
Old 2011-06-14, 8:37am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I sure agree with you all - and telling about any problem or struggle with this Devardi glass and getting help here (as well as posting good work) is what this Thread is all about.

Hopefully we can be done with the bashing and we can share in support for problems or difficulties that people have, as well as posting successes. If we end up back in another cycle of bashing I think I will feel like my little cross-eyed Devardi Kitty here...

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-06-14 at 8:43am.
Old 2011-06-14, 8:42am

Mountain snail-I hope you do not give up on the Devardi glass! We have all been through the learning curve and are glad to help if we can! I have found several colors that I make sure are at least 960 degrees before I use them-but then have no trouble...unless there is an air bubble in them!! Their colors are so yummy!
Old 2011-06-14, 10:37am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I agree whole heartedly, their colors are extremely yummy... but I am worried that working on a minor, and not being the most patient lampworker (slowly heating... especially in a middle of the bead) I might now be able to ever see all the potential this glass has. I had once some really shocky glass from a silver glass manufacturer, and that glass is way pricier, and I was ready to give up half way through the first rod. It just kept exploding even after I already had the tip totally molten. It is just too much of a frustration for me.
I would love to try this glass, but is there colors that arent as shocky, and are they getting any better? I agree on a fact that it is new glass, and we need to give them little time to better their product, but I am afraid if it is as shocky as Ive heard, it just has to be improved more to accomodate the majority that works on dual fuel torches. But I have heard nothing but good about Natashas stellar customer service. And I am keeping my fingers crossed that once I get my hands on this glass I would have at least decent experience.
Old 2011-06-14, 10:44am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Favorite Devardi Glass Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Kaven View Post
I would love to try this glass, but is there colors that arent as shocky, and are they getting any better? I agree on a fact that it is new glass, and we need to give them little time to better their product, but I am afraid if it is as shocky as Ive heard, it just has to be improved more to accomodate the majority that works on dual fuel torches. But I have heard nothing but good about Natashas stellar customer service. And I am keeping my fingers crossed that once I get my hands on this glass I would have at least decent experience.
I have been trying the Devardi colors for workability and really like these... I use a Rod Warmer, so shock isn't an issue for me. Devardi is intensely color saturated and hand-pulled so there is a lot of tension in the rods. A Rod Warmer takes care of that by preheating the rod tip up to 900 degrees.

You put the rod(s) in about 1-1/2" to 2" for 5 minutes or more before using them, and put the rod back in the Rod Warmer if you are going to keep using it. Be sure to roll the molten rod tip on graphite or a cooling surface before putting the rod back in the Rod Warmer or it can stick to the Rod Warmer or to other rods.

Here is a short list of colors that I personally like a lot. Do any of you have favorites you can tell about?

SEMI OPAQUE DEVARDI GLASS
Semi Opaque White
NCN Misty, Midnight Misty and Lt. Green Misty
D83 Semi Opaque Moonstone White
D87 Semi Opaque Light Peach
D38 Semi Opaque Dark Baby Blue
D109 Semi Opaque Light Baby Blue
D113 Semi Opaque Tropical Green
D113a Semi-Opaque Dark Tropical Green

OPAQUE DEVARDI GLASS
Opaque Indian Marbled Butterscotch
NCN Opaque Dark and Medium Brown (and other Browns)
D108 Opaque Lemon Yellow
D120 Opaque Army Green
D123 Opaque Frog Green
D125 Opaque Dark Marine Green
D128 Opaque Light Lilac
D130 Opaque Lilac
D141 Opaque Light Blue
D146 Opaque Violet Blue
D147 Opaque Deep Lapis
D149 Opaque Teal
D159 Opaque Burgundy
D162 Opaque Light Gray
Opaque High Density or Copper Black (Copper is a softer black when used simply as Black)

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-06-14 at 12:53pm.
Old 2011-06-14, 11:04am

My experience is completely different. I used my kiln to preheat, which is what I do with my Opaline and Alabaster rods and it works great. Kiln is literally right next to me, I have a magnetic door so I can use it as a rod warmer. That wasn't the problem, rods came out of the kiln nice and toasty and not broken or cracked. It was trying to introduce it to the flame. The amount of air pulled into these rods was visible. Long strings of air along the sides of the rods. I lost so much glass to shattering that it really isn't worth the lower cost. I also can't wrap my mind around why their hand pulled rods are so uneven but other hand pulled rods aren't. Who is pulling this stuff? So for me the lovely colors aren't worth the extra work involved in picking through the rods looking for safe parts, and pulling out inclusions. The first color I used was the ink blue trans and it was lovely but so many little air bubbles! Ugh.
Old 2011-06-14, 11:05am

If I could return the glass, I would!
Old 2011-06-14, 11:11am

What colors did you try?
Old 2011-06-14, 11:20am

The ink blue trans, lapis blue opaque, honeydew sop, a shade of lavender that I can't remember the name of, and a bright green opaque. Again, the colors are gorgeous and the price is lovely but for ME it is simply not worth it. I can get glass without all these quirks on sale several times a year and not have to reduce my flame, pre heat it, pick through for rock like substances, etc. The mandrels, frit and tools I purchased are lovely! I wish the Devardi company success and I will check them out for tools.
Old 2011-06-14, 11:24am

On a positive note, after playing with this stuff for a while, I finally pulled out an opaline yellow that I had shocking problems with and it was now easy to work with. LOL
Old 2011-06-14, 11:34am

hmm I am sorry your are having so many problems. I did find that once I bought the rod warmer (I was heating them in my kiln too and still having some difficulties) things started to go much more smoothly although I do occasionally still have a rod or two that will give me fits. I was having the worst time with the transparent browns/topaz's but the rod warmer definitely helped with those.

Oh, and I am on a cricket with 5lpm oxycon, if you ever decide to give it another go, turn your propane up and your oxygen down. I tend to work with a pretty small flame all around also so that may have something to do with it also.

And don't worry, we won't hate you if you end up not liking it, everyone has to make up their own minds. Although we might continue to try and convince you to keep trying lol.

Old 2011-06-14, 11:34am
StudioMarcy

I sure understand your point of view. There are some days it is worth the extra effort for me, and others that it isn't. I do love to keep it as an option to use. One of the things I tend to do, is at the end of using a rod, while it's still warm, I'll pull some fat stringers out of it, so I have some that I can use immediately if needed.

If you put it up in the garage sale area, please post onto this thread to let us know it's there. And especially, if you have the frog green, I'd buy all that you have. (as would others too-

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-06-14, 11:39am
And silence is golden

I just thought that I would share a project that I have been working on for the past few months. I made a bead with almost every glass rod color that I have. I still have the silver glasses to do, as well as my Bullseye glass rods.

As you can see, Devardi beads don't look any different than the rest of the manufactureres. I started with the Devardi glass when I first began making the beads for this project. I was a bit rusty from not making donut beads for quite some time, so one would expect some pretty wonky beads. On the contraire, I think they came out pretty good!

Old 2011-06-14, 11:43am

Shrimp what a great idea! Hmmm looks like I might have another project to do for myself lol.

Old 2011-06-14, 11:46am
And silence is golden

I can remember when I got my first order of Devardi. I started right in with the colors that drew my immediated attention. AND OF COURSE, they were the shockiest ones! The pinks, ivories, salmon and transparent green. I didn't try any of the others until months later. Got brave and had very few problems with the other colors.
Old 2011-06-14, 11:50am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
Shrimp what a great idea! Hmmm looks like I might have another project to do for myself lol.
WARNING! This project is time consuming.
Old 2011-06-14, 11:57am

That is a really neat project. Beautiful rainbows!

As a newbie I just need to focus on my style and basic shapes. I can't be worrying about glass problems. I am too impatient for that. LOL Plus, I really like nice straight tidy rods to work with. I do love my 2 inch marble marver. I plan on using that to blow some hollow ornaments this fall. That was a definite score.
Old 2011-06-14, 12:18pm

Shrimp-those are incredible! I have too much ADD to try a project like that! WOW! But maybe someday.......
Old 2011-06-14, 12:27pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
I have been trying the Devardi colors for workability and really like these... I use a Rod Warmer, so shock isn't an issue for me. Devardi is intensely color saturated and hand-pulled so there is a lot of tension in the rods. A Rod Warmer takes care of that by preheating the rod tip up to 900 degrees. You put the rod(s) in about 1-1/2" to 2" for 5 minutes or more before using them, and put the rod back in the Rod Warmer if you are going to keep using the it. Be sure to roll the molten rod tip on graphite or a cooling surface before putting the rod back in the Rod Warmer or it can stick to the Rod Warmer or to other rods.

Here is a short list of colors that I personally like a lot. Do any of you have favorites you can tell about?

SEMI OPAQUE DEVARDI GLASS
Semi Opaque White
NCN Misty, Midnight Misty and Lt. Green Misty
D83 Semi Opaque Moonstone White
D87 Semi Opaque Light Peach
D38 Semi Opaque Dark Baby Blue
D109 Semi Opaque Light Baby Blue
D113 Semi Opaque Tropical Green
D113a Semi-Opaque Dark Tropical Green

OPAQUE DEVARDI GLASS
Opaque Indian Marbled Butterscotch
NCN Opaque Dark and Medium Brown (and other Browns)
D108 Opaque Lemon Yellow
D120 Opaque Army Green
D123 Opaque Frog Green
D125 Opaque Dark Marine Green
D128 Opaque Light Lilac
D130 Opaque Lilac
D141 Opaque Light Blue
D146 Opaque Violet Blue
D147 Opaque Deep Lapis
D149 Opaque Teal
D159 Opaque Burgundy
D162 Opaque Light Gray
Opaque High Density or Copper Black (Copper is a softer black when used simply as Black)
Thank you Kristina, are these your favorite colors because of the good workability, or just cause they are really pretty colors?
Old 2011-06-14, 12:27pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimp View Post
I just thought that I would share a project that I have been working on for the past few months.

Shrimp you are amazing! They are a LOVELY collection as a sample reference. Just wow! AND you have shown me how to rack my samples with tags hanging behind. So far I have just kept them in bowls which is a sorry way to do it, because they aren't easy to see and refer to. THANKS!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-06-14 at 12:32pm.
Old 2011-06-14, 12:31pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Kaven View Post
Thank you Kristina, are these your favorite colors because of the good workability, or just cause they are really pretty colors?
They are for good workability. These are all colors I worked with that did not give me shock or devit problems while using a Rod Warmer. I do work cool though and I generally use tools to shape right off the bat like the Japanese method of working soft glass.
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi