Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-09-05, 5:06am

damn!
Old 2012-09-06, 6:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lewis View Post
Those are for cheaters lol. I tear my mouth pieces it can be tricky but i always feel good when they turn out well lol practice practice its always better to take the hard road you learn to do more with less and you get this since of pride for your work cause you did it with less then the other guy did it with. Also i work on a midrange/minor i have to say i use that minor for everything. I just use the midrange for large vessels and making tubing mainly alittle to much umph for me sometimes lol
Once you can consistently open a mouth piece then you should give advice no offense. I would tell my opinion but I am not good at all of the 3 methods I know how to use and use for different situations
Old 2012-09-08, 4:01pm

Default My First Pipes

A spoon and a sherlock...Made these last night. Turned out pretty good. The Sherlock wound up with a slight kink about 2/3 of the way down the stem but still functional...pretty happy with my first ones

side view sherlock
side view ...managed to make it so it stands on its own
Old 2012-09-08, 5:20pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Very, very pretty! I love the black and white. Angelique

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2012-09-08, 6:59pm
Progression in progress

Location: please ask for where i live to send items thank you

Try bridging the mouth piece to the bowl so you can get a smoother weld helps out a ton. Good lookin work though keep at it!!
Old 2012-09-15, 4:04pm

Its more a video of me making a pipe than a tutorial but if it helps here you go. Either way thanks for checking it out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL6S...eature=mh_lolz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Carlisle on Tanks/Scorpion on Oxy-con

Last edited by Troyd; 2012-09-15 at 8:02pm. Reason: I can't spell
Old 2012-09-16, 2:23am

cool vid! it doesn't show how you open your mouthpieces though...i assume from watching that you get a small gather on a rod and mash that against the small point you pulled on mouthpiece, let cool and snap off?
this has proven the most consistent for my newbie skills.
Old 2012-09-16, 5:59am

OK I need help with a request I got from a friend - She would like a pipe with the carb on the end. Tried a couple of different ways and can't seem to find something "comfortable". Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 2012-09-16, 8:18am

i've got one pipe like you mention...with the carb on the end (steam roller style) and about the only way i got it to "fit" in my hand was to have the carb hole and the immediate glass around it raised a bit.
like after you pop your hole, don't melt in the "mound" that gets puffed out. i'd post a pic but it's too late for that piece.
Old 2012-09-16, 8:33am
Evil Glass Enabler

I guess you're just going to have to make another one and post a picture of it. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
i've got one pipe like you mention...with the carb on the end (steam roller style) and about the only way i got it to "fit" in my hand was to have the carb hole and the immediate glass around it raised a bit.
like after you pop your hole, don't melt in the "mound" that gets puffed out. i'd post a pic but it's too late for that piece.

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2012-09-16, 8:45am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadz Gone Wild View Post
OK I need help with a request I got from a friend - She would like a pipe with the carb on the end. Tried a couple of different ways and can't seem to find something "comfortable". Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Shape the piece and before you make the push for the pack heat a small section on the front of the ball. Give a slight puff to blow out the glass to make it nice and thin. Make the pack and then go back to the carb. The blow you did will allow you to make a carb that is raised and more comfortable. Plus it will be easier to control the size of the hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7
cool vid! it doesn't show how you open your mouthpieces though...i assume from watching that you get a small gather on a rod and mash that against the small point you pulled on mouthpiece, let cool and snap off?
this has proven the most consistent for my newbie skills.
That's how I do it. I'll usually even blow on it for luck, haha. If you're to impatient like me this doesn't always work and the rod brakes off and the twisted gather is left attached. Which can still be knocked off sometimes but then it usually doesn't make a clean brake.

I omitted that part because this was originally posted on my facebook page. If one of my fans actually gets a chance to try pipe making I want them to have to figure something out for themselves, haha. I think its kinda obvious what I'm about to do though.

Old 2012-09-16, 12:45pm

Thanks for the help. Guess I need a lot more practice before I get this right. Did one today (in kiln) that at least was centered.......hahahaha.

Old 2012-09-16, 1:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelique_redhead View Post
I guess you're just going to have to make another one and post a picture of it. Angelique
maybe i'll just do that! i'm done for the day though. burned the f#ck out of my forfinger. i've got aloe on it and i'm relaxin with a smile on my face. i made a really nice wrap and rake today (well, nice for my work) that i can't wait to get out of the kiln.
Old 2012-09-16, 1:09pm
Evil Glass Enabler

*HUGS* I'm sorry you burned yourself. Angelique

Quote:
maybe i'll just do that! i'm done for the day though. burned the f#ck out of my forfinger. i've got aloe on it and i'm relaxin with a smile on my face. i made a really nice wrap and rake today (well, nice for my work) that i can't wait to get out of the kiln.

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Old 2012-09-16, 1:12pm

a lil aloe and some swamp cabbage and i don't even notice
Old 2012-09-16, 5:08pm
Evil Glass Enabler

I'm not familiar with swamp cabbage. It must not grow inland in Texas. Angelique

Quote:
a lil aloe and some swamp cabbage and i don't even notice

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Old 2012-09-17, 3:52am

oh it grows everywhere.
Old 2012-09-17, 4:37am
Evil Glass Enabler

Well, I'm still confused. I found 4 different plants on Google they were calling swamp cabbage and we don't have any of them here. Angelique

Quote:
oh it grows everywhere.

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Old 2012-09-17, 4:53am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
once i snip and crack off with the shears and flame polish you really can't tell the difference. i still try to tear open every 3rd piece but i almost always fudge it, then the piece needs to be saved, which sucks. this is my income right now
The crack-off method is useful for beads, but I'm not a fan of it in functional pieces. It can leave lovely glass dust for your customers to inhale. There are ways to minimize the problem, and at least its not DRILLED like cheap Asian (india/china) pieces... Just think we should strive to be better than that. Glad that you're still practicing. You'll get it eventually. It's not one of my better skills either.

In the meantime, check this out: http://theblastshield.com/sophieta.html

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-09-17, 5:04am

thanks for that link!!
i agree, snapping off glass in a piece that will be smoked out of is sketchy, but i do wash all my pipes in warm soapy water before putting them in the case.
i still can't get the tearing tech down pat, it's so hit or miss with me, and the times i do it sucessfully i can't tell what i'm doing right.

lately i've just been pulling a thin point on the mouthpiece and the mashing a hot gather against it, letting it cool then snapping that off. it's way cleaner and seems to leave almost no dust.
i'm still working on tearing it open though.
Old 2012-09-17, 6:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
The crack-off method is useful for beads, but I'm not a fan of it in functional pieces. It can leave lovely glass dust for your customers to inhale. There are ways to minimize the problem, and at least its not DRILLED like cheap Asian (india/china) pieces... Just think we should strive to be better than that. Glad that you're still practicing. You'll get it eventually. It's not one of my better skills either.

In the meantime, check this out: http://theblastshield.com/sophieta.html
Very cool tools yo! I want one of these for sure. As far as the tare off method, I assume you mean pulling off the blow tube and opening the mouth piece with a punty rod? I've never been able to do this. Half the mouth piece is gone before I can finally get the glass to pop. As I understand it you need pressure in side the piece for this to work well. Moisture in the trapped air is heated and expands. I understand the concern about the dust and I have even seen, not had but seen, glass chips in pieces. Not my pieces. Are these tools the way most do it or do I just need to work on the punty technique more? I swear that's how the dude I worked and apprenticed through did it. I'm just terrible at it.

Old 2012-09-17, 7:15am
Pyromaniac

I wish I could give you more info, I'm not much of a pipemaker...basically you hold the bowl, cover the carb and put the tool in the bowl, or vice versa, then blow out the mouthpiece.

Yes, tearing open is using a cold punty to tag the hot glass of the closed mouthpiece until it opens up. You don't need residual moisture though I can see how that would be helpful. I use the tear method for the few pipes I make, and yes it's frustrating and yes sometimes I end up cracking more than tearing off if I'm not careful. Once it's open the slightest bit though you can work it the rest of the way in the flame.

and most old-school pipers tear open, I believe though the sophieta method is gaining some ground as furnace tools are being adapted to flameworking. At least among the tool whores of the trade.

Old 2012-09-17, 7:35am

i did order a brass 1/2" sophatia/bowl push from Kulture Glass (a guy over on TMP/talkglass) that comes with a blowtube attachment so i'll be able to blow mouthpieces out even after i i pop my bowl and carb.
Old 2012-09-17, 2:35pm

Am I the only one on the planet that blows out the mouthpiece 1st,cold seals blowtube, then does the rest? Hmm
Old 2012-09-18, 10:18am
Pyromaniac

I'm flat-out too chicken to be working the whole piece on a cold seal. and clumsy too...not to mention the extra step which drives the little OCD efficiency gnome within crazy

Old 2012-09-18, 1:22pm

yup, me too. me and cold seals don't get along too well.
Old 2012-09-22, 1:34pm

Well two more pieces today with the carb on the end and they are getting much better. Thanks Troyd for the tips they really helped.

Old 2012-09-22, 2:00pm

Awesome! Glad I had some knowledge to offer, lol. I'm very much so a beginner in all aspects of glass working. You should post pictures in the pipes show and tell thread.

Cold seals are terrifying. I wouldn't ever consider making an entire piece on one. Same as Bunyip, I'm way to clumsy. The mouth piece is the first thing I shape when making a piece and after words I thin out the area that the blow tube attaches to; barely heat it and give a very slight pull. It's easier and faster to detach once the piece is finished. Plus the area is nice and thin when you slam it into a gather to open it up. XD

Last edited by Troyd; 2012-09-22 at 2:02pm. Reason: I can't spell
Old 2012-09-30, 9:12pm

Default Really stupid pipe question

Okay, a really stupid pipe question. Is a onesie made with a very tiny bowl on the end? How do people keep from inhaling hot ash through the straight tube? I have a bunch of small colored tube laying around that I got from Trev's and was thinking it would make good onesie material but it's been years since I've smoked and haven't the foggiest idea how they work. Thanks!

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2012-10-01, 7:05am
Pyromaniac

a "onie" or "bat" is typically a piece of small diameter tubing with a constriction about 1/2" from the end. The constriction prevents a smoker from drawing the consumables through the tube, though smaller bits can get through - it's all in how you pack and draw.

Tutorial with pictures here

Tags
boro, don't say b*ng omg!, duh, it's in the boro room