Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-01-28, 4:50pm
Formerly Bakerman44

Default Fume rubbing off

Hi. I made a beautiful wine stopper and the fume is rubbing off. And when I say rubbing off, I mean that it comes off like it's a layer of dust or powder. only the bottom half does that...the part that hot before I attached a base. Is there a trick to making it stick better? Any ideas why it's coming off so easily on only the bottom half? Here is the original stopper (http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3972901&type=1)

Here is the spot that wiped off.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-01-28, 5:10pm
kiwi ( new zealand)

where u use 24 or 22 i been told 22 sticks more to they glass
Old 2013-01-28, 5:34pm
Borovangelist

Either way, it's just a thin layer on the outside of the glass unless it's encased, so it's always a potential problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Old 2013-01-28, 5:52pm
Formerly Bakerman44

well, I guess my main concern is figuring out why it rubbed off on only part of it and not the other. but it's 24kt. I understand what you're saying Tom. It's just a micro thin layer and just as with any thin coating, will eventually rub off.

Old 2013-01-28, 5:56pm

22K or even less will stick better. Also try a thin coating of silver first and then lay down the gold. That has always made the gold stick better for me. I like that treatment on top of black.
Old 2013-01-28, 6:41pm
kiwi ( new zealand)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
22K or even less will stick better. Also try a thin coating of silver first and then lay down the gold. That has always made the gold stick better for me. I like that treatment on top of black.
yes they silver lay first work too and can more colour
Old 2013-01-29, 9:21am

The fume always has a chance of rubbing off. I knew a guy that would fume heavy on the outside, and "scrap" a pattern into the fume. It usually did this with small bongs, was pretty cool.

Ashlea

Old 2013-01-29, 10:16pm

I'm no expert, but you may have thinned the layer of fume some when you heated the lower part as you attached it. maybe?
Old 2013-01-30, 5:49am

are you baking it in (the fume)?
Old 2013-01-30, 7:35am
Happy Beadmaker!

The trick is heating it enough that the gold is "fused" with the base glass but not so hot that you're burning it off -- it's a PPP issue!

HTH!

~
~
~
Old 2013-01-30, 7:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea Zinke View Post
The trick is heating it enough that the gold is "fused" with the base glass but not so hot that you're burning it off -- it's a PPP issue!

HTH!
+1^^

I would venture to say that your not getting the glass hot enough before fuming. Get a nice even red glow and then fume. It should stick better. Keep your flame on the softer side so as to not blow it off too.

Hope that helps.

Carlisle on Tanks/Scorpion on Oxy-con
Old 2013-01-30, 11:24am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea Zinke View Post

HTH!
Good luck with that. 24k gold WILL tend to rub off regardless. Silver sticks well to glass, gold sticks well to silver.
Old 2013-01-30, 5:15pm

I've heard someone say they use brass then gold for a better stick, but you better have VERY good ventilation if you want to fume with brass.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2013-01-30, 8:18pm
Formerly Bakerman44

What does baking it in mean? neutral flame or keep at oxydizing..back of flame..heat to a glow? and next gold purchase will be 22k. I've heard nothing but good stuff about 22k over 24k for a couple of years now. I'm just still on my first 3 droplets i bought from ABR a looong time ago.

Also, Hi Jenny! and I've never tried fuming brass. I do have pretty good ventilation so maybe ill try it. Thanks!

Old 2013-01-31, 4:17am
Now part of the Dark Side

Check over at The Melting Pot before you try to fume brass. There is a thread there that lists the hazards, you need excellent ventilation AND a respirator. Here is an article from wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

I would not recommend attempting to fume brass.
Old 2013-01-31, 5:35am
Pyromaniac

I use gold leaf that I picked up years ago at the local Pearl store. I'd have to check, but it's either 22k or 24k, I know that for sure

When I fume pieces to a surface sheen, I start with glass that is hot hot hot. Not heated fully through, but the surface is as hot as I can get it without compromising my design. After I fume, I cook it in well - that is to say I bathe the piece in a soft neutral to slightly oxidizing flame until the metal fume on the surface begins to glow but not to the point it burns off. Sometimes I just cook it in with my fuming flame, for that matter - I've not experienced any problems thus far.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2013-01-31, 7:59am
Formerly Bakerman44

Thanks! I'll try that today and see how it turns out, Chris. Thanks. I think that i maybe have messed it up when I went to attack it to the base. I hope I can let it cool to hold shape and I can reheat it to bake it back in.

Old 2013-02-01, 1:32am
Happy Beadmaker!

Larry, never had a problem with mine & it stays perfectly. Just had a customer at a show wearing hers that she bought over a dozen years ago! Sorry it doesn't work for you!

QUOTE=LarryC;4228226]Good luck with that. 24k gold WILL tend to rub off regardless. Silver sticks well to glass, gold sticks well to silver.[/quote]

~
~
~
Old 2013-02-01, 1:50am
Alaska Boro

Likewise have not had an issue with 22 K gold on boro. Even placed a bead in a pants pocket with keys for a month and no sign of problems.

Old 2013-02-01, 5:36am
Pyromaniac

The silver trick works pretty good too. Unfortunately, glass is one of those intimate crafts that seems to demand trial and error due to individual variances in equipment, timing, climate, the way you hold your mouth, etc

I did the same thing as Alaska mentioned - except it was just for a couple days, after hearing about others having "rub-off" problems.

best of luck!

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2013-02-01, 6:57am

no issues with 24k gold casting grains, no rub off.
i really think it does have to do with how hot the glass is while you fume and how well you bake it in after.