Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-01-11, 10:14pm
Glass-aholic

Ok it's been years woman!!! This really is still going on? Without reading any of the previous, except your first and last post (literally) I would think it has something to do with the mandrel being hot enough before u lay your glass or the way you are laying your glass... J think you need a play date to figure this out with other glass peeps!

I'll go read it more now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-01-11, 10:38pm
Glass-aholic

Ok. After skimming for the good parts....

I get bubbles like that when I use certain colors. Light greens and blues come to mind. It's usually because the glass got too hot. Not the mandrel, the glass. This sounds weird, but can you grab a HH torch and try it with the same color and press and see if there is a difference? that would be a super low flame. It could also just be from the cool brass. I get divit in teal like crazy when I press if. I bet it you pressed this more times and kept heating and pressing u would find diving on the surface. I wonder if this is the beginning of that. The bubbles would work their way to the surface and wreak havoc!

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-01-11, 11:32pm
Resident Luny

Seriously, I tried one last week and... one press. Bubbles. Maybe pressing too hard. GAH GAH GAH

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2012-01-12, 5:01am
sunscreen me baby

OK, I had to make hundreds of transparent square pillow beads for a jewelry designer. It's not just the lentil!! I was having this issue with my Foster Fire, then with my Fusion. I had hoped it was a BOM issue). I had to take twice as long to make these beads. In opaques I could just heat, press and melt out chill marks. I couldn't really do the technique I described above because there just isn't that much glass in those little pillows. I found I had to do half presses by squishing it in the base only. Total pita! But I swear, every single time I decided to try the full press a bubble would magically appear. You could watch it happen!

So yah, even though some people never see this and swear it's user error, I know it's not

~

Old 2012-01-12, 4:48pm
Resident Luny

And yet, some folks DO do it. HOW HOW HOW HOW? I have seen gorgeous lentils and other shapes, perfectly transparent and smooth mandrel holes and NO strange bubbles! AUGH!

Old 2012-01-12, 4:57pm
sunscreen me baby

I know. Deanna thinks I'm crazy because she has never had a problem. Maybe it's our aura? lol

~

Old 2012-01-12, 8:42pm
Glass-aholic

Humm..idk

Old 2012-01-13, 8:45am

I wonder if it has anything to do with mandrel prep. Maybe what you use to clean the mandrels before you dip...maybe because you don't clean the mandrels before you dip...something along those lines.
Old 2012-01-13, 10:59am

I used to make lentils all the time and really struggled with this problem. Eventually, I did figure out a method that worked for me. I finally learned that if I got the glass too hot, the bead release/mandrel would "react" and bubbles would form along the mandrel under the glass. You can get away with this (looks-wise) with opaque glass because only you can see the bubbles when the glass is liquid, but I always felt like the bead strength was compromised by these bubbles only I could see. Of course, with transparent glass, the bead release is impossible to clean out of these. On mine, the bead release separates from the mandrel and is attached to the lining of the bubble making it impossible to clean out.

Once I figured out how not to heat the glass so hot, I never had bubble troubles again. I've been making huge sets (100+ beads) of small beads these days and have been hankering to do some itty bitty lentils. I'm going to give this a try this weekend and will post pictures of my failures and hopefully successes.

Patti G.

Scorpion with 2 Regalia's on NG
Old 2012-01-14, 1:09am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunesse View Post
Seriously, I tried one last week and... one press. Bubbles. Maybe pressing too hard. GAH GAH GAH
STILL?

Girl.

Over Spring break I should come over and torch with you, and try to figure out what on earth is going on!

Old 2012-01-16, 6:46am

The key (for me at least) is to not press when the glass is hot. Here's my results as promised ...

Old 2012-01-17, 4:50pm
Resident Luny

drooooool.

*sigh*

Patti, thank you! I did the beads below before reading your input. You are spot on with what the trouble is with the bubbles along the mandrel.

Last night pressed with REALLY hot glass, opposite of you, actually, but very gently, mostly let gravity do it. and... NO bubbles! But it was not lentils. I may have done puffy pillows before with success. They will be proof. Here's last night, glowing orange glass, gentle, gentle press. My theory now is that I was pressing too hard.

We shall see if it stands. Tonight I will do lentils, some hot and gentle, some cool and not so gentle, if I need to press harder, and see what happens.

DAMMIT THOSE ARE BEAUTIFUL.

Here are mine.

Kalera, even if I DO solve this, I want a glass spring playdate!

Last edited by lunesse; 2012-01-17 at 4:53pm.
Old 2012-01-17, 4:56pm
Storm Queen

Yeah, I still stand behind my original pressing too hard and for too long so the glass is cooling around the mandrel as you're pressing.

Old 2012-01-18, 7:49am

Oooh, yours are beautiful! I really didnt even use the top half of my press until the very end of the bead if that helps.

Old 2012-01-18, 3:59pm
Resident Luny

yeah, I am starting to see it is pressure, and maybe intense heat. I made one and had a focused flame after I pressed.... and smaller ones appeared right by the mandrel, tho not connected..... Made 2 lentils, will see what happens in several hours... =)

Old 2012-01-18, 11:17pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
drooooool.

*sigh*

Patti, thank you! I did the beads below before reading your input. You are spot on with what the trouble is with the bubbles along the mandrel.

Last night pressed with REALLY hot glass, opposite of you, actually, but very gently, mostly let gravity do it. and... NO bubbles! But it was not lentils. I may have done puffy pillows before with success. They will be proof. Here's last night, glowing orange glass, gentle, gentle press. My theory now is that I was pressing too hard.

We shall see if it stands. Tonight I will do lentils, some hot and gentle, some cool and not so gentle, if I need to press harder, and see what happens.

DAMMIT THOSE ARE BEAUTIFUL.

Here are mine.

Kalera, even if I DO solve this, I want a glass spring playdate!
Those are gorgeous! And yes, let's totally plan a playdate over Spring break!

Old 2012-01-18, 11:18pm
I'm a lilac!

What olive is that? It looks a bit like Lauscha?

Old 2012-01-19, 4:49pm
Resident Luny

Kalera, it's BE Olivine Tint =)

Spring break woooooo!

Old 2012-01-21, 9:18am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Kalera, it's BE Olivine Tint =)

Spring break woooooo!
Oh, of course it is! I brainfarted and forgot that you're a BE girl.

Old 2012-03-18, 1:52pm
Storm Queen

I just made some transparent beads today and I was able to pin down exactly what caused the blowouts for me. It was when I changed pressure on the press either from front to back or from one side to the other. If I pressed straight down it was fine. If I pressed more on one side and stopped it was fine. If I pressed more on the edge closest to me and then stopped it was fine. It was when I rocked the top or changed pressure from one side to the other....either side to side or from front to back. That's when I'd get a blowout.

Old 2014-06-04, 2:36pm
Resident Luny

I'll try even pressing too. Cause it is STILL happening!

Old 2014-06-06, 10:03am
Glass-aholic

Any chance it's your mandrels?
I wonder if it's the stainless steel itself. Like 306 vs 316??
Maybe one when heated actually produces gasses more than another?

Last edited by jaci; 2014-06-06 at 10:05am.
Old 2014-06-10, 4:21pm
Resident Luny

No clue. I just got some mandrels I made myself from rod at a welding shop, and probably some old bullseye resource center ones are mixed in. Hoooo. I can't believe this thread is almost ten years old at this point! HAH. Sad. =)

Old 2014-06-13, 4:47pm
Glass-aholic

Sad we have not figured it put or sad we are addicts and still trying to figure it out! Lol