Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2015-07-16, 10:44am

Default Torch for stringer drawing

Hello I have been searching around but haven't found the answer I'm looking for yet. I haven't started blowing glass on my own yet and I was originally planning on saving for a GTT Lynx until I realized what the price of the Bobcat was. I would still need to wait a couple months before I could get the lynx but could buy the bobcat right away. Would the lynx really be worth the wait if all I'm doing is stringer drawing? The lynx sounded good because of the pinpoint flame but I'm assuming you can pretty much do the same thing with the bobcat? I'm making disc pendants with stringer drawing. I'm very desperate to start right away and that's what tempts me to just go for the bobcat. Hope someone can give me some advice!
Old 2015-07-16, 11:16am

Deleted due to misunderstanding the question.

Last edited by De Anza Art Glass Club; 2015-07-16 at 11:45am.
Old 2015-07-16, 11:51am

I very much appreciate you trying to help me, I can try to explain more in detail. I will be using thin stringers to draw straight lines down tubes that will be 18mm-22mm. My question is would the Lynx make that any easier than the bobcat? Also is the bobcat big enough to make a disc (circle) pendant that is about 3-4 inches from one side to the other?
Old 2015-07-16, 12:34pm

Thank you for explaining. Unless no one answers, I am going to pass on recommending specific burners.

It might be helpful to specify the material you will be working with. It sounds as though you are working with borosilicate, but those forms are also available in COE 90 or 104.
Old 2015-07-16, 10:20pm

No answers yet? OK, I'll start, but I won't go beyond trying to compare the Lynx and the Bobcat.

First, for drawing stringer lines, I don't believe that the pinpoint flame is of any advantage because as I understand it, you will be using the edge of the flame rather than the tip of the flame.

If you are eager to start right away, getting the Bobcat would probably be a good idea. GTT burners hold their value well, and if you find you need more heat, then you can upgrade at a later time without losing much to equipment depreciation.

What kind of supply do you have for gas and oxygen? The Bobcat is designed for lower pressures and will work with natural gas and oxygen concentrators. The recommended pressures are much higher for the Lynx (manufacturer recommended oxygen pressure is 15 to 25 psig). Perhaps that isn't as much of a concern if you are just owning the burner and bringing it to a studio where you are renting space.

You mentioned tubing, so I would expect that the Bobcat would be fine for a pendant that starts as a hollow form.

The forum has a search function, and I believe those two burners have been compared a number of times. I believe if you use the burner names and also look for user shawnette, that will make finding a useful thread easier.

Once someone gives opinions, it gives others a point of reference to disagree or agree with, so hopefully you will get other answers soon.
Old 2015-07-16, 10:58pm

I really appreciate all the help you have given me. I was planning on just using an oxygen and propane tank to begin with, but would very much like to get a concentrator when I have the money. Thank you again for all the advice, you have helped me a lot!
Old 2015-07-17, 7:39am

I like a broad, gentle flame for stringer work. The Hothead is actually really good for stringer work - check out Holly Cooper's work for proof: http://www.hollycooper.com/AvailableWork
Old 2015-07-17, 10:12pm

The bobcat and the lynx are very close to the same torch. I have a bobcat and a cheetah and the bobcat is a very user friendly torch. runs well on natural gas at house pressure and an oxycon.

I love the bobcat, it does real well.

I only work boro.

Now im getting a snub nose mirage.
Old 2015-07-25, 12:11pm

The Lynx is quite a bit more versatile. Honestly when doing stringer work the Skill of the archer is more important then the arrow. The tool itself will never increase your expertise.
Old 2015-07-26, 10:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
The Lynx is quite a bit more versatile. Honestly when doing stringer work the Skill of the archer is more important then the arrow. The tool itself will never increase your expertise.
Having shot a compound bow and a recurve, I can hit a small target about 10x more often with the compound. The guy that owns the archery range can outdo me with either bow, but he can also best himself 10 to 1 with the compound over the recurve. Some torches are similarly better suited for certain tasks. I wish you'd stop saying your "archer and arrow" saying in every thread. Skill matters. Equipment matters.

Last edited by dusty; 2015-07-26 at 10:41am.
Old 2015-07-26, 2:15pm

I have both, but only work in soft glass and make small beads. I find the Bobcat is fine for my needs. I do the stringer work below or beside the flame. The Lynx would be better for boro or bigger work.
Old 2015-07-28, 7:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
Having shot a compound bow and a recurve, I can hit a small target about 10x more often with the compound. The guy that owns the archery range can outdo me with either bow, but he can also best himself 10 to 1 with the compound over the recurve. Some torches are similarly better suited for certain tasks. I wish you'd stop saying your "archer and arrow" saying in every thread. Skill matters. Equipment matters.
Hit a nerve on this one? Its true. Skilled glassblowers can use just about anything and outdo most of us. Stop suggesting that if you buy just the right equipment you all of a sudden become Chihuly. It just isnt true and is misleading. Stringers? For me its all about finding and working just beyond a sharp edge of heat. This does exist on every torch I have ever used.

Last edited by LarryC; 2015-07-28 at 7:46am.
Old 2015-07-28, 1:21pm

I think both can be true - it's not either/or. There is no equipment in the world that can substitute for practice and skill. Gaining practice and skill is easier on some equipment than others.
Old 2015-07-28, 3:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
I think both can be true - it's not either/or. There is no equipment in the world that can substitute for practice and skill. Gaining practice and skill is easier on some equipment than others.
Agreed.