Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2014-11-14, 10:15pm

Default Help with ventilation fan

I was looking on Amazon for a fan and I came across this one....of course I like the price but I want to know if it will do the job...any suggestions are welcome and much appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 2014-11-15, 2:27pm
Mary Lockwood

This is what I have but I bought it at Home Depot for about the same price. I took the plug off and wired it to a switch. Home Depot had a couple different models to choose from, I got the higher cfm.

I was previously using a attic fan but it was huge and mounted on the outside of my house. When the ice dam fell off my roof it destroyed it and this is what I replaced it with. It doesn't draw as much as the 1200 cfm attic fan did (obviously LOL), but it does a fine job for my small studio.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-11-15, 2:30pm
Mary Lockwood

This is the one I have....
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Suncourt-...specifications

edit: Actually, I'm wrong, that's not exactly the one. The cfm isn't right. Let me keep looking. Sorry.

Old 2014-11-15, 2:37pm
Mary Lockwood

The exact one I bought isn't in the Home Depot online catalog anymore.

The price for the Amazon one you found is really good but check the cfm rating. I only worry that that is the maximum boosted cfm and not the free air cfm for that price.

If the free air cfm really is 400 then I might buy that one, too.

Old 2014-11-15, 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
This is the one I have....
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Suncourt-...specifications

edit: Actually, I'm wrong, that's not exactly the one. The cfm isn't right. Let me keep looking. Sorry.
Ok I see they are similar... So I was on the right track..here's a mock setup of my space... It will be located in a small shed outback... I still need the flashing for the backsplash
Attached Images

Old 2014-11-16, 7:54am
Mary Lockwood

The fan will draw best with the straightest, shortest line between your workbench and the outside. Also, the make-up air is just as important. Ideally you will have a window or vent where fresh air comes in at a rate at least equivalent to what you are sucking out. If you don't have fresh air moving into the space, your fan won't draw as well and your air won't be as clean. If you're going to be burning through boro for hours at a time you need more ventilation than someone making tiny beads on a hothead a couple hours a week.

The vent pipe will be above or in front of your torch and the fresh air source should be from behind you when you're facing the torch so that the fresh air comes up and over you and gets drawn out with the bad air. This will give you the cleanest breathing air.

Biggest challenge there is heating the studio if you're in a cold climate because you're sucking the heated air out and cold air back into the shed. Radiant heat is the answer--heat YOU, not the room. I used to have to blow snow off my workbench to start a session so I know what cold working feels like and it sucks. Clamp lights with heat bulbs in them work great but you have to have enough amps to run everything.

Good luck. I like the fan you picked and it will definitely get you started as long as you have good make up air and a short, straight duct run. But I'd feel better more around 600cfm and even 1000 cfm if you're gonna be fuming.