LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-03-02, 11:07am
Life Is Worth Living

Default What Should I Buy First? I Own Nothing Right Now. Where Do I Start?

Hello. It's me Kimberly the new one I want to learn glass bead making and I don't know what to buy or who to buy from . I have a total of 450.00 my husband said I can spend to get some things to begin with.

I know I need a torch and glass but I don't know what kind of tourch to buy or what color and type of glass. What tools will I need and what video is the best. I want to do this cheap as I don't have a lot of money and want to get the most for my money.

I don't think I want to deal with oxygen and all that first to start out so keep it simple for me. I don't want to use the mapp gas as that does not last very long I have heard and is to expensive to keep buying over and over. Is it ok to use the gas from my grill?

Please is there a list that will tell me what I will use the most for a beginner. Any help greatly appreciated.

Kimberly
Old 2008-03-02, 11:32am

Kimblerly

Welcome. Lampwork beading is so much fun.

If you are not sure if you are going to do this or like this and just starting out, I would suggest a Hot Head torch, bulk Mapp or bulk Chemtane (connect the two with a hose you can get in the camping section of Lowes or home Depot). I was on a HH for years and the bulk chemtane or mapp is less expensive than the little canisters, but I used those as well. Some people will say that propane is ok, but I found it muddied my glass. Many people use this as well.

Get an assorment of glass from any of the distrubutors. They come in small and large bundles and you can pick which one you like. Get some mandrels and bead release and you are ready to go.

If you want a video there are several out there. The first one I watched before my first class was 2 of Lewis Wilson's that were in my library. I don't remember the names, but they really helped.

You don't need a lot of fancy tools, a butter knife is all that many use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-03-02, 11:51am
<--- Time traveler

Here's what my beginner list would be:

HotHead with SS holder/work surface (I would avoid bulk tanks, myself)
torch striker
didymium glasses
1/16 and 3/32 mandrels and bead release
glass assortment
long serrated tweezers
graphite marver
old non-serrated steak knife
fiber blanket or pot of vermiculite
aloe plant, LOL
pot of sand or foam block for holding mandrels

Nice to have:
BBQ-type mashers
tungsten pick or similar dental tool
Old 2008-03-02, 12:07pm

Yes Yes, I knew I was forgetting something. Glasses and vermiculite of course. DUH

You are not going to want to sell your beads until you get a kiln to anneal them or have someone anneal them for you.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-03-02, 12:29pm
Life Is Worth Living

Oh thanks so much for the input. I was wondering. A guy sales this entire kit for 198.00 it has all sorts of stuff in it. I was not sure if I needed it all or not. Thanks y
Old 2008-03-02, 1:08pm
High Maintenance

Is there a link to the kit? We can tell you if its a good one or not.
Old 2008-03-02, 3:27pm
Life Is Worth Living

http://www.sundanceglass.com/kitslamp3.htm

Tell me if this kit is a good deal. Thanks Kim
Old 2008-03-02, 3:42pm
Trying to Hope!

I will be happy to send you a small assortment of basic 104 colors

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2008-03-02, 3:43pm
Trying to Hope!

pm me with your address

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2008-03-02, 3:49pm
Life Is Worth Living

how do I pm you? what is pm?
Old 2008-03-02, 4:10pm

Kimberly,
Just click on the members sign-on name in the top of the post and then click on pm .

PM= private message

Welcome,
Alison
Old 2008-03-02, 4:13pm
FireBeads

I would recommend you take a beginner's class. It will give you the basics on safety, ventilation, torch types, technique, glass, etc. and save you a bunch of frustration trying to figure out some things by yourself. Also, don't forget a fire extinguisher!
Old 2008-03-02, 4:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindag View Post
I would recommend you take a beginner's class. It will give you the basics on safety, ventilation, torch types, technique, glass, etc. and save you a bunch of frustration trying to figure out some things by yourself. Also, don't forget a fire extinguisher!

I second that...

Beads galore at my ebay store!

Minor with a REGALIA heavenly!
Old 2008-03-02, 6:54pm
Lover of all things color

Kimberly, I got the $89 kit at Delphi glass and it had everything that I needed to get started. Trust me, it won't take you long to know whether you love it or not.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-03-03, 10:55am
Life Is Worth Living

Thanks everyone. I purchased my first kit last night. I can't wait till it gets here. I have looked for classes in my area and can not find any. I hope to get really good and be the first to offer it here. If you all know of anyone in Fairmont, morgantown or clarksburg West Virginia who offers classes please let me know. Any way thank you all and will surely have alot more questions in the future. You have all been so wonderful.
Old 2008-03-03, 2:14pm
FireBeads

This might be a good resource for a local class/instructor:

http://maglassbeadmakers.homestead.com/
Old 2008-03-04, 12:53am
Susanne

When i started lampworking I took a class. Would recommend that to anyone. Svaes you a lot of figuring out for youself. If you can't find one in your local area, why don't take a weekend class away and make a vaccation out of it!

I could also recommend YouTube for videos. There you can find demos on a lot of different techniques, from beginners level to advanced. And it's for free!

Also, if you haven't allready done that, order a sample pack of Effetre glass. Most dealers have it and it gets you a chance to find out how all the different colors react.

Good luck! You've got a lot of fun ahead of you.

Visit

Visit my homepage

FaceBook

Blog

# F-63
Old 2008-03-04, 6:21am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindag View Post

Ditto, I highly recommend taking a class before purchasing all sorts of stuff

Old 2008-03-04, 7:08am

I got the beginner's kit from Sundance when I first started. It's a good kit and they have pretty good prices (at least they did when I was buying from them locally). I also ordered Essential Beadmaking on dvd. Never took a class, but the dvd really helped a lot.