Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-23, 5:22pm
Does my glass look 2 big?

Default Just got my first pound of Sedona... and?

Well the colors on the rod looks fabulous! I hadn't read anything about it so I just thought I'd pull some stringers and dot a bead and see what it did.

OK so everyone knows this except me LOL IT DEVITS!

I did a search on the board and discovered there is a tut by Kimberly in the Glass Line Magazine issue from somewhere in 2005, needless to say I subscribed. Can't wait to go read all those back issues I've missed.

But, in the meantime, while my torch is going and my kiln is on, can anyone tell me how to use this glass??

Any tips or pointers, so very gratefully accepted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-01-23, 5:32pm

Treat it like EDP, I would say. Low heat and when you are finished, give it an all over bathe in the flame without removing it until you pop it in the kiln.

I got some but have hardly used it. I will get around to it I suppose after seeing what some of people here have managed to achieve....I think Kevan had some really nice results?

Cheers
Kym
Old 2009-01-23, 6:49pm
dances with ideas...

Olimpia--lucky you! I don't know how to use it but Kimberly's tutorial is for a type of bead she calls "Sedona" and it's very excellent!
But it does not use Sedona glass. It wasn't available back then.

Have fun!

Old 2009-01-23, 7:13pm

LOL Roberta, well, I still got myself a subscription that I am certain I won't regret!

Uh Oh Kym, I am not the best at EDP, but I have been working with it a bit lately and have gotten fair results. Once devit forms there's no way to get rid of it, is there?

Thanks!

Old 2009-01-23, 7:26pm

Yes, you can Olimpia. Just make the bead, and then when you are finished, heat it until it glows and take it out of the flame. Don't put it back in, put it straight in the kiln. You may still have devit in the dimples and places like that but you can chase most of it away by the doing this. Putting it in and out of the flame is what seems to cause the devit. That last heat and kiln will keep most of the devit at bay.

Cheers
Kym
Old 2009-01-23, 7:35pm

aha! Thanks Kym! I will try that!

Old 2009-01-23, 10:27pm
one day at a time

I think it's easier to deal with than EDP. Here it is on Effetre black:
Attached Images

Old 2009-01-24, 5:50pm
Lover of all things color

Boy, boy, boy does this stuff devit. But I was able to wash it in oxy and it cleaned right up and the colors are spactacular. However, I tried reducing it and it did the most amazing copper colored reduction. I thought someone said it wouldn't. I did have some Magic on it but that didn't seem to be doing anything.

I made five different beads with it today. Photos tomorrow when they come out of the kiln. I won't be sure until then that they are even photo worthy.....LOL

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con