Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-09-13, 3:55pm

Default Boro sucks you in.....

well, I guess you already know that!!

I love boro beads!!! Decided a bit ago that I really want to learn how to do them. I even signed up for a class with Lauri Copeland that was cancelled due to low enrollment. I resigned myself to trying to learn this via reading and watching dvd's. Played with it a couple of times. Then I had the chance to take a class at Rocio and Ron Jr.'s Hi R&R We did an implosion pendant in class and I watched him make a heart. When I got home, I bought a sampler pack of Momka's, some clear (and then just HAD to order a Precision sampler which came yesterday!! ) and played.

Here are my first attempts after class (sorry about the bad pics). In order of making. Notice the beads

I was concentrating on working on the loops. I'm a newbie at this...I'd welcome any suggestions!!
Thanks,
Kim V
PS-I'm planning on taking Andy's class at Tin City so I really will have some beads to show you in a couple of months

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-09-13, 4:55pm
Serenity Now!

Very nice first stuff, Kim! Ahhh...boro...the love of my life...it does suck you in, doesn't it??! I wouldn't trade it for the world though!
Some poeple find it easier when making loops to form a bead on a mandrel, and then stick them together (make sure you put lots of heat to fully seal the 2 pieces).
Have fun, and thanks for sharing!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2006-09-13, 5:41pm

Oooh Kim. Niceeeeee!! Your heart almost looks like Smiley's!!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-09-13, 6:16pm

I saw a tutorial where someone suggested putting something in between the hole on the bead you want to use as the loop to keep it from melting. It was long and white (not graphite - but wouldn't a graphite mandrel work)?
I think I like the way the loops look when they are made from a piece of rod rather than a bead. It seems more natural somehow but the one's I've tried look pretty bad.
Old 2006-09-13, 7:12pm
daughter and I

You're getting some great colors! Loops are still hard for me and I don't care for the mandrelled loops. I use a graphite reamer and tweesers to help shape mine.

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.
Old 2006-09-13, 8:18pm
The Venerable Bead

bead loop baby, bead loop
you got some great colors and shapes going on there my ocean state friend!!!

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2006-09-14, 2:43am

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions!
Val, when I get some more torch time, I'll have to try using a bead to make the loop. That is, IF I can get a decent bead For these, I practiced forming the loop like Ron showed us.
Yes, Kim, I did get to try out the Purple Thunder. The lousy pictures just don't show it that well. Like that color!!
Paula, I started out trying to make hearts like the Folk Art ones I used to paint. I think I have figured out what I need to do to get that shape. I'll try it next time. These seemed to take on a shape of their own in the flame.
Genny and Valerie, I used a graphite reamer and tweezers to help shape these. I'm going to grind a smaller point on a graphite rod I have to see if it will work better for me.
Paula, thanks. Considering my level, overall, I am happy with my shapes. I'm thinking that I need to go frit shopping soon
I'm not sure if I'll get to light the torch soon. Open House at my school is Monday, and I need to go in over the weekend and get my classroom ready. Thanks again for the encouragement!!
Kim V

Old 2006-09-14, 3:48am

Kim they look great! You're getting really nice colors! I've been practicing loops too, but getting dull icky colors so this is for you...
LOL! You know I loves ya. I signed up for the Remschneider course at Carlisle next month and hoping it helps with the colors. You are so right though. It sucks you right in! I actually cleaned my shop and made a nice space just to do boro. I cleaned!!! That's big.

Old 2006-09-16, 4:23pm

Bec,
back at ya
Oooh, have fun at R's class. I'm sure you will. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do.
I've actually redone the placement of my glass in the studio so that the boro is closer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass
Kim they look great! You're getting really nice colors! I've been practicing loops too, but getting dull icky colors so this is for you...
LOL! You know I loves ya. I signed up for the Remschneider course at Carlisle next month and hoping it helps with the colors. You are so right though. It sucks you right in! I actually cleaned my shop and made a nice space just to do boro. I cleaned!!! That's big.