No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-12-04, 8:19am
Enjoying Life!

Question MAPP Gas in Winter

I read this post. I have the same question regarding bulk MAPP gas. If it is kept outside, in the cold Michigan winter, will it freeze? How cold is too cold? I'm contemplating switching to bulk from the 1 pounders for my Hot Head.

Laura
Old 2007-12-04, 8:44am
Gentleman of Leisure

According to this MSDS... -187°f.... You should not worrry...

http://www.uniweld.com/msds_sheets/G118.pdf

Of course pressure will drop in tank as temperature drops..

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-12-04, 4:11pm
Enjoying Life!

Ok, so the freezing point is -187, do you have any idea how cold it get before the Hot Head will stop getting hot enough to work the glass?
If anybody has experience with this, will you please reply?

Thanks for that info, Dale!

Laura
Old 2007-12-21, 5:03pm
Enjoying Life!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLou View Post
Ok, so the freezing point is -187, do you have any idea how cold it get before the Hot Head will stop getting hot enough to work the glass?
If anybody has experience with this, will you please reply?

Thanks for that info, Dale!

Laura

I thought I would post an update, in the event the info is needed by someone else....
I bought a hose to hook up to bulk Propylene and found out that the fitting for bulk propane is different for bulk propylene. They are not interchangeable.
The hose for bulk propane was available at a local superstore. The hose for bulk propylene is available at Heritage Glass. I bought the 12 foot hose for $32.95 + S&H.

The reason I started this thread was that I wondered if a bulk tank would lose pressure after awhile (like the 1# mapp), If kept outside in the snow.

I bought a 30# bulk propylene tank and it stays outside. There is snow here now and it has been below freezing for many nights. I have not had any trouble with losing pressure. Maybe this is a "DUH" to most of you, but as a newbie, I wasn't sure what to expect. I have worked at the flame for over 1 1/5 hours at a time and did not lose pressure. Now, I can make large beadies without having to stop because I'm losing pressure! :clap: It does take me awhile to finish something over 1 1/5 inches, but at least now I can finish it!

I did try bulk propane, because that was the first hose I had purchased so I thought I'd give it a try, however the beads looked real bad. They were dark and sooty (is that even a word?) and I was very unhappy. I only made 2 beads and quickly decided to go with propylene.

So, for what it's worth... 3 hoses and 2 weeks later, I'm happy... for now. I am saving up for a oxy/propane set up because I want to work faster. (I am an impatient person.) This is nothing against a Hot Head. I am so happy that I have one. It gave me the time to play with the molton glass and learn the properties of the glass, and the time to decide if this was a hobby I will stick with.
Anyway, thanks for listening!

Laura
Old 2008-03-12, 10:59am
I love color!

I get very little pressure from the propylene tank when it's outside in the Minnesota winter. Therefore, I can't make beads when the tank is cold.
Old 2008-03-12, 11:16am
birdergirl ~o~

Default Same here

I agree with Darelyn, I develope a hate/hate relationship with my HH during the winter months, so right now I'm punishing it by not letting it play til it warms up...am thinking of upgrading my torch after I try bulk propane on the HH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darelyn View Post
I get very little pressure from the propylene tank when it's outside in the Minnesota winter. Therefore, I can't make beads when the tank is cold.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~