Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-06, 8:57am
And silence is golden

Default Fire Mountain Gem brown goldstone chip question

It has been mentioned a few times here, in some of the goldstone threads, that one can use goldstone beads to pull gold aventurine stringers. Has anyone ever used the goldstone beads (item# H20-1090SK) that Fire Mountain Gems sells to pull stringer? How successful was your attempt?
Old 2011-03-06, 10:35am
sunscreen me baby

I haven't used that exact item but I have pulled some rectangle shaped goldstone beads that looked like the same kind of goldstone. I bought 5 or so strands years ago and I like it much better than the factory rods. I use it often under transparents for flower stems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-03-06, 11:43am
geekitude on two wheels

I haven't tried those chips exactly, but generally I've found that chips are kind of bad quality & will often pull unevenly. Cabs have always worked well for me tho, even the little 15 cent ones at my local bead store , and they're pretty cheap & available.
Old 2011-03-06, 8:02pm

What about coe? Is that an issue?
Old 2011-03-06, 8:06pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie's glass View Post
What about coe? Is that an issue?
I was wondering that myself!
Old 2011-03-07, 6:37am
Glass-aholic

Me too.. I always wondered if they made those beads with a 96 or a more furnace compatible glass(or 90 schott). I mean the clarity is too good to really be 104 for the price right? I am guessing its probably more on the 96 scale, just for the clarity reasons. However I have no clue!!! These are made more like stone beads are treated right? They must pour out a sheet and cut it and grind it and drill it or something??

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-03-07, 6:50am
Glass-aholic

did some searching and it seems as though traditionally and historically, it is a 104 COE pull. I know it is made in other COE's now in rod form for any glass COE basically. But crass referencing historical references it seems to have been a mistake batch at a Venice glass factory. A monk accidently dumped a load of copper into the batch of glass. It can also be made now with copper or chrome particles in suspension of clear soda lime glass, although green and blue are also known to be used. If it is any other color they say that it is probably a mica suspension and not copper or chrome. I don't know how true any of this really is, but historically if 104 glass was the prominent COE than it is probably still predominately made in 104 for 'stone' beads that we buy to do this stuff with

interesting links:
http://www.ehow.com/facts_4910503_co...ine-glass.html
http://www.mindat.org/article.php/11...enturine+Glass
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=129503

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-03-07, 7:45am
Light My Torch

if you look at my free tut that is what I used for my goldstone. Some were darker then others-so I sort them out. They were the chips, I have used them without any problems.

Old 2011-03-07, 8:52am
And silence is golden

Jeri,

I guess that was the answer that I needed! Thank you! Just in case any of you missed Jeri's thread, here is a link to it.

Jeri's goldstone stringer tutorial

Laura's goldstone stringer tutorial

Last edited by Shrimp; 2011-03-07 at 10:18am.
Old 2011-03-07, 9:38am
Glass-aholic

there is another tut here as well using bigger goldstone beads, not just chips as well.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184319

Last edited by jaci; 2011-03-07 at 9:43am.
Old 2011-03-07, 10:17am
And silence is golden

Jaci,

Thank you for the very informative links! I posted a direct link to Laura's tutorial on pulling goldstone stringers in my previous thread above.
Old 2011-03-08, 8:00am
Cat herder

I did the stringer compatibility test using some blue goldstone chips my wife picked up at the bead store and a rod of 104 clear - no bending, so I would say they were 104.

No fancy signature yet.