No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2020-09-19, 10:43pm
Resident Luny

Default Gifted 24 pounds of 104....and for 16 years I've only used Bullseye

I decided to take a class that used 104 and a dear friend had a stash of 104 and had gotten out of the game. She said she had some I could use for the class. I expected maybe half a pound or something?

I have never waded to the "dark side," heehe mostly for sanity, I don't want to try to keep these kids on their own sides of the car.

But, I have it now. Lots of CIM, a little stash of what I remember being drooled over here in the distant past, silver glasses, something I have not ever been able to play with other than the BE lustres, which are GREAT, but... if I wasn't taking this class I would have stayed a full BE girl, probably, but hell. You only live once. I'm over it and ready to try glass that I know will feel a lot more liquid to me.

I do have one question. Knowing I have a bunch of CIM, Effetre, I think some Vetrofond.... what clear do I want to get? Is there a best one for playing with 104? Silver 104? Is there a one size fit all? Help a newbie out! It's fun to be a newbie again in glass!

Thank you! ( I see my old posts in here and feel so oooooooold.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2020-09-19, 11:04pm
Slogan Challenged...

Hi there! Welcome to the sunshine. LOL
Good ole effetre super clear 006 is the go to, clean well or pickle. Pinch off the end of a new rod when you start to melt it, and don't put the very tip directly into the flame. Holds true for a lot of 104 transparents, they can boil at the tip and make your bead schmutzy.

Double helix sells 2nds of Zephyr 1lb for $30, which I would buy all the time if I could, I save it for beads where the clarity is extra important, or I'm using a color that hazes regular clear, such as EDP, Sedona, Purple rose, etc.

Do play with Silvered ivory, it's something only 104 girls can do!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2020-09-20, 12:33am
Resident Luny

That's great info, especially about directly in the flame. I can boil BE sometimes but it isn't easy unless distracted. I do a lot of encasing, so, thank you! I don't even know where to buy it yet, which is the main reason I have been a BE girl all these years, 10 miles away from the factory at the most. The pickup without shipping fees is a sweet, sweet siren call and the factory store is such a playground. Thank you so much! I feel like I had to give myself permission to "see other glass."

Old 2020-09-20, 11:41am

I was in your shoes two years ago, but in reverse. I’ve been a 104 girl since I started lampworking in 2006. Than I bought a lampworker’s studio which included a huge pile of Bullseye. I am loving the differences in the color palate and having it stiffer for making hollow beads. I can use both interchangeably, but separately of course.

Where are you in the PNW? I’m in Camas, WA. Are you part of the Northwest Glass Friends group based in Portland?

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2020-09-20, 11:54am
Resident Luny

I am in Beaverton, next to Portland, and no, I am not! =) Sounds like I should be. Hah, that is funny. The class I joined is a hollows class, and the teacher said COE90 didn't work for her, so I figured I'd get a small amount of 104 to learn with, and then see if I could transfer it to 90. Go figure. Hi, neighbor! =)

Old 2020-09-20, 12:17pm

My favorite two 104 clears are Zephyr and Super Clear. I too buy the Zephyr seconds.
Old 2020-09-20, 2:43pm

I agree with Kathy about the clears.

Are you in Astrid’s class? I’m in, and so are two Vancouver friends! Are you on Facebook?

Old 2020-09-20, 3:11pm

I think Astrid said it wouldn’t work in Bullseye because she hasn’t used it herself. These are hollows using Bullseye Rainforest Streaky.

Old 2020-09-20, 3:19pm
Resident Luny

Diane,

Yes'm! Astrid's class. =) Oh how fun to "know" a few folks in it. I am Carli Schultz on FB, my biz page there is juiceglass jewelry. I will go check out your FB page! I knew that BE would work of course, I think she said she tried it once but couldn't remember if it was 96 or 90. But I thought I'd get some 104 to at least not pay and fail due to materials making it harder. Maybe it will end up easier. I don't know!

Old 2020-09-20, 3:20pm
Resident Luny

p.s. omg those are amazing hollows. I never got my hands on rainforest...those are gorgeous!

Old 2020-09-20, 3:44pm

Sent you a friend request on your page and your biz page. I’ll add you to the Northwest Glass Friends page. We had our first in person meeting since February two weeks ago, next one will be in October. Social distancing friendly of course but it’s SO nice to see glass friends in real life!

Old 2020-09-21, 6:29pm
Salt Box Beads

Congrats on the wonderful gifted glass.

When out of clear I will use my palest of pale transparent colors for clear. I hoard them for just this purpose.
No cracking, no bubbling, no smoky streaks. I just choose the one that would best enhance the bead...hopefully.
Old 2020-09-28, 6:54pm
Resident Luny

that is such a simple and good idea! =) Love it.

Thank you!

Old 2020-10-01, 1:06pm
Resident Luny

I made my first two beads! Since I am already a lampworker it isn't super hard, but it does behave differently than Bullseye! Melts faster, seems to take longer to stiffen back up so I had to rotate the bead longer. The kiln program I put in seems sound, nothing slumped or anything. No idea what my colors are, so may are unlabled, they just have E or V or C, etc. on them so I know the manufacturer, which could help maybe if I could find color charts. I may go look for those, may be hard to find for things that are gone like Vetrofond?

Old 2020-10-01, 2:20pm
Slogan Challenged...

yes, I wouldn't worry about naming the colors, just use the ones you like and if you want more, find something similar. That's the name of the game with soft glass, colors are here today, gone tomorrow. sigh

And yay! you should post pics over in our newbie & intermediate gallery, some chat there. We have some new folks we are trying to encourage

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2020-10-01, 4:10pm
Queen of the milo field

Yup, Vetro is harder, but one source would be on shop websites that still have some to sell like ABR
https://www.abrimagery.com/store/ind...4coe-c-789_281

And these might help:

Color palette for CiM:
https://www.creationismessy.com/palettes.aspx

This is a great source - indexed by color name, color palette, and brand
http://melanie-graham.blogspot.com/

There are a number of threads like this one on LE about color identification too.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=305412

dj
Old 2020-10-01, 4:34pm
Resident Luny

Wow, Croft, thank you! This is a treasure trove to explore.

I just got dark ivory and silver to do the.. THING! The THING, for the first time. I have envied the THING for years. I love Bullseye but I am excited for the organic possibilities.

Old 2020-11-12, 11:43am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane (clarus) View Post
I think Astrid said it wouldn’t work in Bullseye because she hasn’t used it herself. These are hollows using Bullseye Rainforest Streaky.

Diane (and Lunesse), I've just put my old BE rods in the fusing area and am leaving 104 by the torch. Haven't done either for a decade! So I have pounds and pounds of BE ODD Rods, e.g., Bullfrog, Oxblood, Creme Brulee, several others and would like to have some info on them. Nothing on BE. Do either of you have working info on old, odd, BE rods?

And is there a source for them anywhere?

Thanks SO much!!
Old 2020-11-12, 12:48pm
Phill

Double Helix glass often has 'seconds' for sale at much reduced prices but I have yet to hear anyone in ten years say that they can tell the difference from their top of the line more expensive glass.

Oh and keep your eye peeled for the "garage sale 5 lb boxes" that have an assortment of test batches and some 'end pulls' of the really spendy stuff at ridiculously low prices.
They sell out their limit quantity in about two or three hours so you have to move quick if you hear of a sale.

And if you think 104 puddles easy wait until you get your hands on some of the opaque satake glass.
You can puddle that stuff on the kitchen stove top on low!
Old 2020-11-12, 1:04pm
Phill

Kay (Listenup I think) has a website that you might find helpful;

http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/
Old 2020-11-18, 11:58am
Resident Luny

I am enjoying these colors! Still mostly just working on hollow beads, but they do a lovely etch in a tumbler, which BE can't do very well. =)

Old 2020-11-18, 1:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunesse View Post
I am enjoying these colors! Still mostly just working on hollow beads, but they do a lovely etch in a tumbler, which BE can't do very well. =)
I finally got BE to tumble etch, with an 8 hour tumble. Definitely easier to do with 104.
Old 2020-11-18, 8:55pm
Queen of the milo field

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunesse View Post
Name:  Waiting!.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  23.4 KB

Me waiting to see your experiments

dj