Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2017-12-09, 6:08pm

Default Hoses regulators and flashbacks

Quick question I'm hooking up a lynx torch I need the hoses The Regulators the flashbacks why is devardi glass so much cheaper than Mountain glass Arts ??
Old 2017-12-09, 9:25pm

Check your local welding supply place there probably even cheaper yet, at least they were in my neck of the woods.
Old 2017-12-09, 10:29pm

Devardi has stuff is made overseas and imports in volume where labor is cheap with minimal quality control.
The glass itself has a lot more air bubbles, variation in size, and is prone to shock.

Mountain glass arts is a distributor buying volume from a dozen different manufactures Some are located in the USA others are in Europe. Higher labor costs, shipping, and a lot more consistency in produce cost more to produce.
Think classic Ford muscle car vs a yugo

its worth trying various brands and colors just to have the experience.
Chances are good someone near by has some Divardi they would be willing to share for a cup of coffee and a donut.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2017-12-10, 3:36am
Phill

If you search the forum about Devardi you will find a lot of discussion about it.

Some good, some bad.

I find that Devardi is quite a bit stiffer than other soft glass and it can get even stiffer as it is heated and reheated in the flame while you try to get it to do what you want it to.

And that is only the Devardi that does not crack and pop off the rod while you are trying to bring it up to melting temperature.

A lot of it can be very shocky and some explosively so.

It can be very frustrating especially if you are new to our addiction of melting glass.

The price is certainly inviting and the colors are beautiful but the consistency can be unpredictable and it is not as forgiving as soft glass from most other makers.

It was a great investment for me to play with while I trained my body at the torch bench and I did not feel "like I was ruining all this expensive glass" while I figured out which end was up with all the details of how to melt glass and create my ideas in actual physical hot glass.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions.

I suggest you search with multi-word phrases "within quotation marks" or else you can wind up with a gazillion answers for. every. single. word. Those take a long time to sort through.
Old 2017-12-10, 11:46am

Thanks so funny Daniel from devardi glass just called me to tell me i won a 10 lb of a sampler pack of glass I am so stoked . I just have to do more research on where to get my hoses regulator flashbacks just the price is so difference from one manufacturer to another
Old 2017-12-10, 1:31pm
Phill

I have to add that I have never heard of any problems with Devardi tools, torches or presses.
Just the glass.

It is made in India and human labor their is cheaper than water so what we would expect to be turn out in a manufacturing facility are instead made in a 'man-you-facturing' facility.

Congratulations on the 10 pound win.

Their blacks are good (although as I said before they are stiff ) and I think they had some that would gloss over in silver and gold when reduced which can be serious fun to play with.

They should be self compatible but you find that they don't always play well with other makers' glass so don't invest a lot of time and effort into mixing manufacturers (ie encasing and such) before testing before hand.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2017-12-10 at 1:34pm.
Old 2017-12-11, 8:53pm

My local welding shop was WAY WAY less than any of the online sites...for regulators, flashback arrestor etc...