LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2010-12-17, 3:22pm
boro color bender

Laugh? Those are kick ass... may I suggest this...

http://www.brentgraber.com/catalog.php?category=24

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-12-17, 3:26pm
"Sinners have soul too"

You *can*... I just wish it was a pdf... I never buy videos any more 'cause the last two I got wouldn't work on my computer

Old 2010-12-17, 3:27pm
"Sinners have soul too"

and I don't mean yours... just a couple others that were "how to" videos by other artists.

Old 2010-12-17, 3:41pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I did it! I did it! I did it! I can't wait for it to be done baking!! I'm thrilled. I'm gonna do it again!! Whooot!!

Old 2010-12-31, 9:06am
boro color bender

Mine plays just fine on my laptop... i had them professionally done... no home made copies here... if it doesn't work on your laptop, I'd even be willing to take it back and refund it... how's that for a guarantee?

pics pics pics...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2011-01-12, 12:51pm
Glass my new Obsession

My girls are wanting me to make hearts so I will have to try this method today.

Old 2011-02-05, 6:12am
boro color bender

How did it go?

Old 2011-02-05, 9:11am
Glass my new Obsession

I have been making hearts like crazy.I need to get pics taken.
I am gonna have to get more boro soon too

Old 2011-02-05, 9:28pm
Favorite color is shiny

My first time with Boro and my first time trying Mr Smiley's hearts...whew* I was definitely a bit nervous but everything went fairly smooth.
Now for more practice tomorrow.

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE
Old 2011-02-23, 8:46am
boro color bender

Very nice job...

Old 2011-04-08, 6:00pm
Simply Bea

Just finished watching BOTH DVDs and thank you for the inspiration.
Will have a go in a few days time when I get on the torch again but now....... tax paperwork......

/
Old 2011-04-09, 3:16am
boro color bender

Can't the taxes wait?

So glad you enjoyed them... Hopefully I can find time for the third one soon... please show us what you make, I love seeing the work inspired by the DVDs and this free heart tutorial...

Old 2011-04-09, 3:23am
Simply Bea

Lol....yeah, I am already one year late and if I don't do the paperwork this weekend I can't afford to buy anymore glass or tools.....!
......but I am cheating now and taking the night off paperwork....on the torch....just got a leetle off mandrel piece in the kiln, it's soft glass and not so easy hut I think I finally worked out the "drill the loop'" technique from the DVD!!!!!

/
Old 2011-04-09, 3:50am
Simply Bea

Brent....or anyone....
I can't find the annealing schedule for boro!!!!!
In Celcius pleeeease.....going to set it up for the next run on the torch....

/
Old 2011-04-10, 9:50pm
Simply Bea

I am having MEGA issues with the "cold seal"...... It's wrecked a few hearts already.....
I am working on soft glass and have tried BOTH boro and 104 punties!!!!!
Tried to post a pic but can't do it from my phone or iPad.....

/
Old 2011-04-15, 3:26am
boro color bender

I have no idea what the schedule is in Celsius... I'll try to sort that out for you...

For soft glass punties, it's similar to boro, but you don't need the tip of the piece you're attaching to be super hot... just soft and tacky... the heart or other off mandrel piece should be warm, but hard... the best way to practice is with two rods... not a piece you're working on... once you get it sorted out, then you can start using the tech to make pendants with out ruining them.

Old 2011-05-04, 7:35am

Brent, thank you so much for posting the Mr. Smiley Heart tutorial! And thanks to everyone who has posted pictures of their Mr. Smiley Hearts! I've had so much fun looking through all of the pictures and posts. These are so fun to make! Here are some that I've made. These are my 5th, 6th, & 7th attempts (1-4 didn't turn out so well).
Attached Images

GTT Mirage - tanked oxygen & propane
I'm a lampworking novice who hopes to one day be worthy of my torch.
Old 2011-05-11, 8:36pm
Formerly FishBulb

Lacey, those are gorgeous!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2011-05-18, 6:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
Lacey, those are gorgeous!
Thanks Angie!

GTT Mirage - tanked oxygen & propane
I'm a lampworking novice who hopes to one day be worthy of my torch.
Old 2011-06-02, 6:13pm
boro color bender

Very nice!

Old 2014-05-21, 10:32am

I have been making these hearts since I joined this forum and I have never made one I felt was "share worthy" I finally did last night. So here they are (both soft glass) bad loops and all! Thanks Mr. Smiley!

Last edited by Beatrix92; 2014-05-28 at 6:35pm.
Old 2017-12-31, 2:33pm

Thank you for this tutorial. I feel like a heart should be easy but I just can not get the shape right. I will try this today!
Old 2017-12-31, 2:38pm

It came out great!. Great shape
Old 2021-01-02, 2:02am

Bump
Old 2021-01-28, 11:02am

thanks I will give this a try
Old 2023-10-20, 1:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBrach View Post
Another way to do the loop is to make a curved 'goalpost' sticking up from either side where you want the loop. Then heat and push the 'tops' of the goalpost together, melt and shape as necessary. Crude drawing below.

I've never had problems with the loop. I simply heat about 1/2" length of 6 MM 'loop' rod, heat the spot of first attachment on the heart, and then stick the rod. Then, start heating the loop rod more, and pull the loop rod out to about 2 MM. Then heat this section, all the way back to point of first attachment, and pull the 2 MM hot section around into a loop, and touch the point of second attachment on the other side of the heart.

This is WAY harder to explain than do !! If you've ever seen it done once, it will be a DUH !! moment

Does this work on soft glass or only Boro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2023-10-20, 7:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kez1986 View Post
Does this work on soft glass or only Boro
glass is glass, pretty much anything that can be done in one type can be done in the other types, some just are less picky than others about how much you can push their limits.
Old 2023-10-21, 5:36am

Loops are harder to keep shaped well in soft glass but yes it will work