Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2006-12-26, 11:41pm
Sheryll

Ohhh Brent! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! For bringing this up - I would never have found it myself and I signed up to do the Valentine exchange and haven't had time to search for a tutorial on how to make hearts. I probably should've thought of that before I signed up. D'oh.
Old 2006-12-27, 3:43am
boro color bender

You are very welcome. I am in the exchange as well. Maybe I'll get yours. Have fun with it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2007-01-03, 5:40am
Pyromaniac

I need loop lessons. I always spend as much time or more on the loop as I do on the darn heart... at least I'm not trying it in soft glass. I'd be in trouble.

Is there a Loop tutorial? That would rule. I shall go search, but for now, I hereby request: Mr. Smiley's Loop Tutorial! With pictures!

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2007-01-03, 12:07pm
Sheryll

I second that request. All in motion?

I made some hearts yesterday and by far, your tut was the easiest to make a heart look like a heart. But I had to cheat on the bails, I made a spacer bead first. I did do some hearts and just poked a hole through but I don't think they look as cool. I'll try to post pics in the V-day thread later today.
Old 2007-01-03, 12:18pm
stacijane on Etsy

Default First hearts

OK, I finally tried this and now I'm hooked! They are so much fun. I need a LOT of practice but I'm pretty happy with them. Here they are, in the order of their "birth":

My loops are pretty sad, but they'll get better (I hope!)

Old 2007-01-03, 8:17pm
Dangerous Woman

Welcome to the world of the Loop Challanged!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-01-04, 5:55am
boro color bender

Loops are the hardest part to nail down... if you take my class, I show 3 different loops. Folks normally don't practice them long enough to "get it"... they just wanna make pendants. I suggest you all make 200 loops on the end of a rod... don't practice on your pendants. Once you have to loops down, then you can make pendants.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2007-01-04, 6:19am

Brent,

I think I made my 200 loops in my sleep last night. I studied this tutorial so long at work yesterday that I dreamed of making boro hearts all night. I had such troubles! What type of torch was I using? It was running out of fuel. When I make these, I plan to start with clear as a base and put some colors over that, then make my lollipop but in this dream, whatever I was putting on as a second layer was causing the first layer to burn up like a sack of cloth!
Then I started over, trying to figure a way to work cooler so I wouldn't burn the sack up again... and waste more glass. What a bizarre dream!

My first chance to try this "real" heart will be Friday night. Watch out mini cc, here I come!

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2007-01-04, 6:30am
stacijane on Etsy

Thanks for that tip Brent! I never would have thought of just doing a bunch of loops on a plain rod of glass. Somtimes someone else has to point out the obvious! LOL! I know what I'll be doing tonight.

As for taking your class - I'd LOVE too! Will you be heading up north to this neck of the woods at all?

Old 2007-01-04, 7:06am
boro color bender

I'm working on a deal with the Penn Dragons... aside from that, I haven't made any teaching plans... until this divorce is done, all I can do is put teaching on hold. It really sucks, but hopefully there's an end in sight. I'll also be heading back up to Blue Fire beads in Chicago this year. I just haven't planned a date.

Old 2007-01-04, 10:52am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I think I've posted these in other threads, but I should stick one
here. Some smiley hearts I made. I adore your tute, Brent!

Name:  borobox 6.jpg
Views: 2964
Size:  76.5 KB

Name:  momkas tester 1.jpg
Views: 2705
Size:  72.4 KB

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-01-04, 11:08am
Sheryll

Let me know if you ever get out to CA? I'd love to take a class. Is it just me but I don't get it? What do you mean make 200 loops on a rod?
Old 2007-01-06, 4:47pm
boro color bender

Take a rod of glass and pretend it's the top of your pendant. Just round over the tip and make your loop there. If you use all the same color, you can just melt it in and do another. It's just a way to get the motions down pat before you attempt to put one on a pendant. You'll get a bunch of practice fast and you'll save quite a few pendants from having the poopy loop disease.

Old 2007-01-06, 8:57pm
Sheryll

Default Thanks Brent!

Wow, was I having a duh moment!
Old 2007-01-07, 2:53am
boro color bender

I have 'em all the time.

Old 2007-01-25, 6:47am

Thanks so much Brent for this tutorial. I would never have attempted the heart without it. I just love what I have been able to make so far. Just in time for Valentine's Day.

Linda S
Old 2007-02-08, 5:44pm
the Evil One

Brent I took your advice about practicing loops on a rod of glass and it made a world of difference! Expecially with soft glass. Here are 2 of my favorites.

Sandra

Old 2007-02-09, 6:12pm
The Andrea Half

Brent, thank you!! Here are my first two hearts (done my first afternoon on my new-used Bobcat!). The first is plain Moretti striking red and the second is Moretti clear swirled in Centennial Rose frit. The loops, which clearly need a lot of practice, are Moretti clear stringer.

Last edited by FourTailsLampwork; 2007-02-09 at 6:23pm.
Old 2007-02-09, 6:40pm
boro color bender

Awesome! I love seeing people explore new directions and try something that's not easy to do. A heart is nothing like making a round bead on a stick. Great job!

Old 2007-02-27, 10:51pm

I acquired two of your gorgeous hearts before I started lampworking and they are my favourite pieces. I can't wait to try one. Thanks for sharing your secrets Brent!
Old 2007-03-04, 9:42pm

Since I only work in soft glass at the moment, I have to ask are the color variations reactionary or are they created with additional colors used in the process? I haven't been able to make any beads since December due to a problem with the studio in the travel trailer. I just finished rebuilding it back in the house and melted my first glass yesterday. I'm looking forward to trying your technique in soft glass and later with some boro since I now have my Piranha working.

Thanks Bob

Glass can be a Solid, Glass can be a Liquid, But Glass should always be a GAS!

Old 2007-03-05, 3:53am
boro color bender

Bob, with the boro colors I use, the colors depend on layering and striking. Not much of what I use is WYSIWYG. I like the color shift boro striking colors give me. It's just more fun for me. Have fun and let us see pics when you get some soft glass ones done.

Old 2007-03-05, 6:56am

Thanks Brent. Love your work. The tips on making the loops is great. I've been off the torch so long, I'll have to spend a couple of days just playing around to get the feel back before any serious work can begin. I'll post some pics as soon as I have some.

Bob

Old 2007-03-06, 4:03pm

Well Brent. here are the first 3 I made last night using moretti. The lavender one with the Ivory loop across the top dropped while I was removing the punty and broke the loop off. While reheating to make a new loop I heard that dismal clink and it shows in the pic. I also picked up some Boro today and will try it tonight.

Bob

Old 2007-03-06, 4:36pm
boro color bender

Bob, nice job. I find them much easier in boro. Boro is like sculpting soft glass in slow motion. Nothing happens fast. With the soft stuff, you really have to watch the heat base. it will go from solid to runny, quick. Boro isn't that hard to keep under control. it seems the range of softness is much larger. Thanks for posting the pics. You are right on track!

Old 2007-03-06, 7:32pm

Default 1st ever Boro

Well I have my first boro piece and it's a heart. I couldn't believe the difference from soft glass. I had to go to tanked oxy since I only have 1 Devilbis oxycon. Here's the picture. This was made using NA's Multi for the body and Blue Exotic for the loop.

Thanks for the encouragement Brent.

Bob

Old 2007-03-06, 8:00pm
boro color bender

See, you can do it. Run with it man! That looks so much better than my first boro heart, I'm a little jealous. Boro rocks! I am starting to like soft glass too, for it's own set of bennefits, but BORO is and always will be my first love. It lends so much more control, it's not even funny. If you pay attention to the heat base (glow), you can really learn to speak it's language. You'll know when it's ready to move, before it moves. You'll be able to read the darker spots and know where to put more heat into it. It's not just about melting glass, it's about learning how to control how soft it is. Study it and learn the dance moves it takes to mold your vision.

Old 2007-03-07, 6:45pm
The Beadstress

Default Thanks Mr Smiley

Mr. Smiley - Thanks so much for the tutorial!
I'm having so much fun making these!

And I want to show my hubby's first and only attempt at lampwork

I could never get him to try a bead

You are so generous to share with us.

Susan
Old 2007-03-07, 7:04pm
boro color bender

Tell your husband he just pissed off a bunch of lampworkers by making that on his first try. Oh and he needs his own torch now.

Old 2007-03-07, 7:24pm
The Beadstress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
Tell your husband he just pissed off a bunch of lampworkers by making that on his first try. Oh and he needs his own torch now.
LOL! It kind of pissed me off too! I'm still not that good!