LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2007-03-13, 5:54pm

Default Some new ones

Well Brent. I made a few more following your tut and here's the results.

The first two are boro and the last three are soft glass. As you can see, the last one cracked before I could get it to the kiln. I guess that's just one of the hazards of batch annealing. There are no loops on some because Judie asked me to leave them off so she could attach silver bails to them.

Thanks for the encouragement. Having tried boro has given me a big boost in confidence and better knowledge of heat control it would have taken me several more years to learn.

Thanks again

Bob

Glass can be a Solid, Glass can be a Liquid, But Glass should always be a GAS!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-03-13, 6:27pm
boro color bender

Hey Bob, any time. I'm glad you're finding it useful. I hope to have time later this summer to work on my book. I like tutorials that use gravity and heat control as a tool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2007-04-02, 5:55pm
maker of things

Thanks for the tutorial, Brent. I'll post some pics once I get a chance to try this.
Old 2007-04-04, 7:06am
boro color bender

You're very welcome Dusty. If you have any questions, just ask.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2007-04-05, 1:30pm

Ok Brent, I had to try it!! Still have a long way to go, but it was fun!!!!! Thank you Sweets!!!!

Old 2007-04-10, 9:54pm

Thanks, Brent - here's my first try, using ivory, because yes, when I want to play with something that's already going to be flopping everywhere, let's go all out with a soupy color!
Thanks, I'll be making more!
Nikki
Attached Images

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2007-04-11, 2:05am
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
Thanks, Brent - here's my first try, using ivory, because yes, when I want to play with something that's already going to be flopping everywhere, let's go all out with a soupy color!
Thanks, I'll be making more!
Nikki
I agree! If you're gonna try sumpin hard, make it damn near impossible! I love it, you did a fabulous job, even with a watery color.

Old 2007-04-12, 5:40am
Pyromaniac

ibory es esmooshie...

Way to go with the ivory. I'm sure it would have dripped all over my bench!

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2007-04-13, 9:25pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

My turn!
I smooshed it first.
hate loops. grr.
Attached Images

Old 2007-06-21, 1:24pm

I am a beginner. Have made about 50 beads so far but loved your hearts and tried to to make my first bead without a mandrel. My first problem was I had a hard time getting the ball at the end of the glass rod round. It would keep melting at the juncture of the gather and the rod so I would let it cool there, heat the gather and smooch it slightly into a marver so it wouldn't droop. Finally it looked fairly round so I flattened it til it was pancake-like. Where is the heart shape supposed to show up, on the rod side? I had no heart shape so I started to add some glass on both sides of the glass rod to make the heart shape and I cut the side that wasn't attached to the rod. I had a flat circle with hearts on both sides of the rod. I cut the free side with a scissor but it kind of didn't make sense. Where do you cut? I didn't know how to make it full like yours so I just started to decorate. That was coming out OK. I puntied a clear rod up to the side of the heart and when I tried to melt off the original rod I was left with a 1/8inch piece of rod so I just flipped it over and made it the loop.
It looked pretty but fairly flat. Unfortunetly it broke after I put it in a blanket to cool thinking I would batch anneal it later with a bunch of my beginner beads as I just got my kiln. It broke right along the place I had cut it. I know I did a bunch of things wrong but if you would be kind enough to point out one or two I might get better next time. Here is the sad photo of my broken heart.

Thanks
Joy

Last edited by wildorchid; 2007-06-21 at 1:41pm.
Old 2007-06-22, 9:15am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Joy, with only 50 beads under your belt - that's not a bad start.
I think I speak for most of us when I say that our first tries
of getting a big gather on the end of a rod either ended up
on our tables or worse. Let's just say - if you ever need
information on how to get glass off the front of a Minor
Burner, I'm your gal.

Keep up the good work!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-06-22, 9:25am
HourGlass Studio

Wish Smiley would post the "how to pics"...LOL. Somehow my hearts dont look like they should, but I'm trying...I'm trying.
Old 2007-06-22, 3:34pm

Thanks Karen for the thumbs up but I sure could use a hand up. Think of it as a conservation project, a green project. Save lots of broken glass and a few years of frustration. I'm over sixty. No time to waste. A link to "a gather at the end of a rod tutorial." A tut here, a tut there and pretty soon "mission accomplished" By the way Karen, I have seen your work many times as I started with polymer clay and wire wrapping and your jewelry is tops.
Let me be clear. This is a general beg not one directed at Karen.
Joy

Old 2007-06-23, 11:47am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Well, ya know Joy - I was THAT good when I started (NOT).
I'd post my first efforts, but they met their death at the
hands of my water cup. Everyone on this forum has
their "bowl of shame" full of beads. Trust me.

Your best bet is to spend the money and get thee
to a class if you can afford it. It really makes a big difference,
and you'll probably make up the cost of the class in the
glass that you will save in the long run.

Else fails - go online and check out some of the tutorials
on www.youtube.com. There's lots there that show
people doing some basic stuff with glass. Just search on
"bead" or "glass" and see what comes up.

You can even start a thread here asking for people's
favorite video links to online tutorials - I'm sure some
of the fine upstanding citizens here will be glad to share.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-06-23, 12:10pm

Thanks Karen, Thats a great idea about the video tuts. There are no schools that I know of close to home. If any of you experts live near Port Charlotte FL drop me a PM.
Joy

Old 2007-06-25, 11:32pm
Glass-aholic

Bob i think your blue broken one is the perfect break for a 2 part pendant (-sharp edges) a bail on each one, on a charm bracelet or 2 necklaces... very cool!!
________
Michigan Dispensary

Last edited by jaci; 2011-04-17 at 7:40pm.
Old 2008-01-27, 12:16am

someone just asked for this tut, and i thought it needed to be bumped for valentines day

<3

"So whatever you do, don't be bored. This is absolutely the most exciting time we could have possibly hoped to be alive, and things are just starting."

Currently NOT Working on a Minor with Tanked oxy. (I'm so homesick!)
Old 2008-01-27, 3:34pm

Brent just wait I will be in the shed soon. Then I can play with boro. Just don't have any room in the back bedroom of the house. Yeah. Been moving in today. Will take a week or two. To much junk in there. Yuck.

Rose Leslie
Old 2008-03-22, 8:57am
glass-a-delic

hi, Brent u do amazing work!!! i always wondered how you make your beautiful hearts. I dont have a torch yet but as soon as i get it and everything else i need, i suure gonna try this. I got a quick question for you, its a newby question so please dont laugh, if i make a round gather on a clear rod, then try a loop, melt it in, try a loop, melt it in and so on.. and at the end of the day i leave it out on the table for the night, would i still be able to work on the same gather the next day? (Boro gather) Im just trying to mminimize my glass consumption while i learn.. so i dont have to trow away so much glass
Old 2008-03-28, 9:59am

this is sooooo helpful----- been trying to no avail to figure this out. U rock!!!!

Old 2008-03-29, 5:36am

Default What is striking

Hi Brent:
Love your work. I have been trying to follow your tutorial and watched how great everyone was doing. In one of the threads with Bob he asks about colors and you mention layering and striking. What is striking? Should you ever have a class in the Boston area please let me know.
Thanks
Bob Proulx
Old 2008-03-29, 6:12am

Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Torbett;
Well Brent. I made a few more following your tut and here's the results.

The first two are boro and the last three are soft glass. As you can see, the last one cracked before I could get it to the kiln. I guess that's just one of the hazards of batch annealing. There are no loops on some because Judie asked me to leave them off so she could attach silver bails to them.

Thanks for the encouragement. Having tried boro has given me a big boost in confidence and better knowledge of heat control it would have taken me several more years to learn.

Thanks again

Bob
Bob great job I love the last blue one.
Bob proulx
Old 2008-03-29, 10:32am

I've tried a heart on a mandrel that was kinda neat. I just gave this a shot and the first one turned out looking like a mix between a chili pepper and a skinny heart.
I'm using soft glass and a hot head torch and prior to this, I hadn't done anything without a mandrel. The loop is obviously something that is going to require some practice.
Old 2008-04-02, 12:26pm
Whooooo, me?

Wow, Brent! Thank you so much for sharing this!

I tried a couple and here are the results. Not anywhere near yours, but I was happy with them for a first try, especially considering I am a real newbie to lampworking.

Back to more practicing!
Beth
Old 2008-12-05, 10:18am
Does that shed?

I see this is an old thread but people have been posting in it for quite some time. lol. So in hopes that Mr. Smiley sees my thanks I shall post my attempts at his beautiful hearts. This whole boro thing is brand new to me, only a week in so the off mandrel stuff is very liberating in a way. lol Thank you Brent for your instructions.

So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!
Old 2008-12-05, 4:13pm
glass-a-delic

Beautiful hearts Anzie! What colors did you use in the first one?

Old 2008-12-05, 5:22pm

I like the sparkles in the second one!

Minor with tanked oxygen.
Old 2008-12-05, 6:41pm
Does that shed?

Thank you, they are all Tag colors. I think it's Carmelo, and Teal Blizzard.
The sparklies is actually Blue Blizzard in the bottom one. The Blizzard colors have tiny white flakes in them

Thanks again! They are my first hearts and I'm totally new to boro. Man it's different to work with. I'm really liking it.

So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!
Old 2008-12-05, 7:19pm
birdergirl ~o~

Um.... is this tut available with pics?
Can someone (Brent? ) Pm me?
Please and thank~you !

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2008-12-05, 8:25pm
passionate about pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF-Designs View Post
I tried the cutting method and it works better too bad I cant find those trusty lil scissors I bought from Lori RObbins at the gathering just FOR that purpose...my hair cutting scissors just DO NOT work as good lol. But here is my first try at the cutting method...The left is the front the right is the back.
you used you hair dressing scissors......AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! I hope they weren't expensive.

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon