Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-18, 8:10pm
moth to the flame

Cool video Chris, thanks!

That pink is was darker than what I got but its a pretty color. Easy to use and no problems with scorching.
Didn't they have a Dk Trans Rose too? Mine is just the Rose color.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.

Last edited by BeadMaven; 2009-06-18 at 8:36pm.
Old 2009-07-23, 11:15am
Carol Bouler Owens

Default Thanks so much for the tip about Devardi!

Great tip! I love their colors, but got tired of waiting on it to warm up! I'm running a Mega Minor turned down to absolutely a "matchstick" size flame and still having problems. I love their colors!

Anyway, thanks again, I'm going to go make some beads with it!!
Carol
dogmama45

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
Try "preheating" it the way Tink does with shocky glass--the "pure propane", reduction flame, let it get coated with soot, then clean it off with a nice & blast away method then...I've used that & had great results with other shocky glasses ever since I've been going down to Rockland--I think it's one of the BEST tips Tink ever shared here--useful for every/any type of soft glass, anyone from the first time they use a oxy/propane torch can use that tip, I'm so glad she shared it!

As far as abuse--the glass is quite abuse worthy once you get it on the mandrel! It's stood up to everything I've thrown at it & I'm not real nice to my glass....'cause I'm still nowhere *near* practiced with what I'm doin'
Old 2009-07-23, 11:34am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayes View Post
here is a video of me working some devardi pink and white. Just some various action shots http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=59220340
Is that rod warmer made of boro? Can you post a pic of it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-07-23, 12:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmama45 View Post
Great tip! I love their colors, but got tired of waiting on it to warm up! I'm running a Mega Minor turned down to absolutely a "matchstick" size flame and still having problems. I love their colors!

Anyway, thanks again, I'm going to go make some beads with it!!
Carol
dogmama45
Thanks for the tips everyone. I think i'm done making beads with most of it and am going to make frit out of the colors I'm having trouble with.

-Carol
Old 2009-07-23, 12:54pm
Carol Bouler Owens

Default Yipeeee, LOL, WOW!!

I just went to my torch, grabbed a really thick rod of Devardi tan and did the toasted marshmallow goody with it, then slowly added more heat! It worked like a charm. Hooray!! I've got lots of their stuff and was about to give up on it!! Glad that I didn't!
dogmama45
Carol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancaro View Post
Thanks for the tips everyone. I think i'm done making beads with most of it and am going to make frit out of the colors I'm having trouble with.

-Carol
Old 2009-07-23, 1:05pm
Ad astra per aspera

I'm so psyched, I just ordered the full 14 lb flat rate boxful of new colors. All the pinks and purples I could find, plus a few other colors. I really love this glass!

For the finicky/shocky colors, I just prewarm them in my kiln. I have a rod support on the outside, on one side, and it does the trick. Some colors I just pre-warm by laying them on top of my kiln.

Old 2009-07-23, 1:07pm

whats the link agai??

Old 2009-07-23, 1:17pm
Carol Bouler Owens

Default www.devardiglass.com

www.devardiglass.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
whats the link agai??
Old 2009-07-23, 1:30pm
Striking-impared...

I bought a bunch of their glass a month or so ago. For the most part I like it, but have run into the shocky problem on my two favorites -- the transparent champagne pink (can you say "amber rose"?) and the translucent peach.

But have to say that the pinks work really well! And so far, none of the other colors I've gotten have been unusually shocky. Well, not of what I tried, at any rate.

Old 2009-07-23, 1:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmama45 View Post
Thank you!

Old 2009-07-23, 3:39pm
product of the universe

Quote:
Is that rod warmer made of boro? Can you post a pic of it?
Yup its a boro rod warmer. Its my improvised way of getting by til i get a real one.
Attached Images

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-07-23, 3:51pm
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayes View Post
Yup its a boro rod warmer. Its my improvised way of getting by til i get a real one.
Screw a "real" one, that is awesome!!!!!!

ETA: If you ever decide that you're willing to make more, please put me on your list!

Old 2009-07-23, 9:06pm

That's sweeeeet!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-07-23, 9:40pm
*Desa Elliott*

I have used some of the Devardi Tan, Salmon, and Blue Green, but my favorite so far is the Champaign Rose. It is absolutely AWSOME with Aurae, reducing to a golden rose color where the Aurae fumes the surrounding glass.

There is another great hint that I can give anyone that wants to try it: Encase a Devardi color with a "special" glass like Aurae or Triton, and pull a thin stringer. Then, use the stringer as you normally would. Melt the stringer enough to anneal it to the bead, and reduce/strike the glass as needed. Because of the stiffer nature of Devardi, the stringer is much easier to use than one that is "softer", and stays raised on the bead instead of melting into the base. I have this technique to thank for my ability to do really nice curlyQ stringer work. After I practiced with the Devardi stringer, I was able to use the Aurae stringer because I understood how to control the movement without worrying about the stringer disappearing as I worked with it. Lol, I think of it as "stringer training wheels"!

I have always had wonderful, friendly, wicked fast service from Reenie and Paula at Flamekissed Glass and Flamedame, and they have my loyalty as a buyer. There is, however, a place in my repertoire for the properties that Devardi offers.

This is not the greatest of pictures, but the base ring for this BHB is Champagne Rose, on top if Goldstone, with reduced and encased Aurae punch-eye dots.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for reading.

Desa

G-88
Creideamh, Sùil, Dìlseachd

(Scottish Gaelic: Faith, Hope, Love)

www.ETSY.com/shop/GothicGlassJewelry
Old 2009-07-23, 11:48pm
Ad astra per aspera

Desa, that's a stunner!

Old 2009-07-24, 4:36am
Striking-impared...

Here's a bead I made with two name-unknown Devardi colors + Devardi salmon. (Devardi sent a few unlabled shorts with my order, so no clue as to the color names of the yellow and coral-ish color). I made into a twistie with Vetro clear as the base, then encased with Vetro clear and pulled.

The bead has a very small core of clear, then the twistie all twisted together.

It's been almost a month and I accidentally dropped it once onto the tile floor. Bounced really well, didn't break.

I like the color combo and now that the bead has survived a month + the unintended bounce test, I made some more twisties with these colors so I can make a set.

Old 2009-07-24, 6:55am

Gail, Beautiful colors. Jim
Old 2009-07-24, 7:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreFiend View Post
I have used some of the Devardi Tan, Salmon, and Blue Green, but my favorite so far is the Champaign Rose. It is absolutely AWSOME with Aurae, reducing to a golden rose color where the Aurae fumes the surrounding glass.

There is another great hint that I can give anyone that wants to try it: Encase a Devardi color with a "special" glass like Aurae or Triton, and pull a thin stringer. Then, use the stringer as you normally would. Melt the stringer enough to anneal it to the bead, and reduce/strike the glass as needed. Because of the stiffer nature of Devardi, the stringer is much easier to use than one that is "softer", and stays raised on the bead instead of melting into the base. I have this technique to thank for my ability to do really nice curlyQ stringer work. After I practiced with the Devardi stringer, I was able to use the Aurae stringer because I understood how to control the movement without worrying about the stringer disappearing as I worked with it. Lol, I think of it as "stringer training wheels"!

I have always had wonderful, friendly, wicked fast service from Reenie and Paula at Flamekissed Glass and Flamedame, and they have my loyalty as a buyer. There is, however, a place in my repertoire for the properties that Devardi offers.

This is not the greatest of pictures, but the base ring for this BHB is Champagne Rose, on top if Goldstone, with reduced and encased Aurae punch-eye dots.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for reading.

Desa
Desa,
Beautiful bead! The stiffness of the stringers also sold me on Devardi Glass. I thought I was "stringer impared" until I started using this glass.
The new colors are great. I have also seen samples of the new dicro rods and luster rods, which should arrive this fall. The colors and prices are unbeatable. They are currently working on silver glass too.
Jim
Old 2009-07-24, 10:31am
And silence is golden

Default Preheating for Hothead Users

Tink's rod preheating idea is fabulous. However, being a hothead user, I can't always depend on a toasted marshmallow when I want one. In the past, I have always preheated my rods in a glass jar filled with HOT tap water. I switched from that idea over to a mini crockpot filled with water. I just pull a rod from the water as needed, quickly dry it off and go straight into the flame. I like the added bonus of having my rods cleaned as they are heating.

I found that I really like the mini crockpot for it's originally intended culinary purpose, so I plan to use an old coffee mug placed on my cup warming plate.

Aleta
Old 2009-07-24, 11:09am
Striking-impared...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafly View Post
The new colors are great. I have also seen samples of the new dicro rods and luster rods, which should arrive this fall. The colors and prices are unbeatable. They are currently working on silver glass too.
Jim
Now that sounds interesting, although I'm not sure how it will play out (DH and TAG are the only two silver glasses I've had any consistent results with).

Definitely willing to try it, though, if the price is right.

Old 2009-07-24, 3:51pm

I guess I'm just Devardi impaired. Even the marshmallow thing doesn't want to work for me. So my pink is going to become lovely frit. I have lots of plans for it. I do love this glass though. I can't get my camera to work but I did have a cool reaction when playing with different types of glass. I made a twistie of Devardi salmon and intense black. Then dotted that on a bead made of peace white. The intense black not only spread beautifully but there was a lot of silver sheen too. Not sure quite which colors reacted but they're pretty!
-Carol
Old 2009-07-24, 7:46pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancaro View Post
The intense black not only spread beautifully but there was a lot of silver sheen too. Not sure quite which colors reacted but they're pretty!
-Carol
I'd love to see a pic when you have an opportunity to photograph it!
Old 2009-07-25, 9:07pm

finally, finally played with some of this. I actually did a second order from them before managing to melt any of my first order!

yes, it's shocky. Some of it is anyway. I expected the big thick rods I had to be shocky as all hell, but usually it was the skinnier ones while the big thick rods were just fine. I pretty much only worked with one rod of each color-except for olive, since I had two tonalities of it.

Transparent forest green- looks like dark emerald. I had no problems working it

Transparent ocean blue-looks like medium to dark aqua. It did do the red sparky thing, and I did boil it a teeny bit, but not nearly as bad as I do the moretti aqua in similar circumstances.

transparent marine blue-full of bubbles. Enough that I decided to go with it and make a transparent bead that's gorgeously full of bubbles. Oddly enough, it wasn't shocky.

Transparent ink blue-looks like a shade between glassdaddy lauscha transparent purple and moretti ink blue from a few years ago. More purple than the ink blue, but not quite as purple as the glassdaddy. At least over the semi opaque white. no boiling or devit

Semi-opaque white. I adore this color. It's going to be a wonderful base for frit beads. It's got a bit of that moonstone-like feel, and I couldn't boil it. I was laying on the glass roughly on purpose, to work it and see what happened. I had a few large bubbles pop out, which I caused, and it didn't boil the glass around it.

Transparent olive-I have two tonalities of it-and they worked up and annealed out to two tonalities on the same bead, over the semi opaque white. One's a bit more brown, one's a bit more green. I'd call one Army fatigues olive, and the other olives from a jar. The more brown one, I should have just made frit out of, lol. it pretty much refused to cooperate. I nearly tried the full blast propane thing, but figured I'd try a second rod and see how that went. It was as bad as bad opal yellow or edp can be, if not a tad worse on the shocking thing. It didn't hesitate, though, like some colors can before shocking-as soon as it got close enough for any of the flame to actually touch it, a centimeter popped off. Interestingly enough, the more green one didn't shock at all, even with a larger rod. No boiling or devit.

Semi opaque pink. This stuff looks like whichever of the moretti alabastro or opalino pinks is the OMG that's soooo pretty. bubblegum pink, translucent, moonstone-looking. It was a little shocky, not like opal yellow can be, though. It did devit a little, too. I'm not particularly patient when working it, though, and I'm guessing etching will take care of it.

I might take pics, but-being honest-don't hold your breath, lol. I don't think I'll be messing with the camera until after school starts, in all reality.

I'm quite happy with this glass, especially for the price. I'll be adding a couple of these colors into my regular use collection, I'm sure. I've still got several colors to try out, and more on the way.
Old 2009-07-26, 7:50am
Striking-impared...

I worked with some more colors yesterday. The butterscotch was disappointing -- a LOT of devit. Has anyone else run into this? It was bad enough that the bead will have to be etched. If no one else has run into the devit, maybe I just have a bad rod or lot. Otherwise I will have to work it way, way out in the flame. Or encase it with clear and pull it as a thick stringer (like I do with EDP).

Olive green was a dream to work with. After the initial shock and flying glass, it behaved very well. I made filigrana of sorts with it (cased it over white) and it's lovely.

The transparent red is absolutely gorgeous! A real red, like what you get in a box of crayons and it behaved beautifully. Didn't need to strike it

Some of my rods are really thick (10-12mm), some are normal sized (4-6mm). So far for me, the thicker rods have been the shockier, which I kind of expect. I think if I can ever get champagne rose to behave, I'll pull out thinner rods. And I still have some of the original Amber Rose from a few years back, and the champagne rose is a dead ringer, side by side.

Old 2009-07-27, 10:33am
Glass Obsessed!

Has anyone tried any 104 dichro with Devardi? Just asking!
Old 2009-07-27, 12:21pm

Yes, I used some silver dichro with the champagne. Looks fine and no issues.
One day soon,I will clean the bucket of beads growing there and post them. I love that champagne colour!

Kym
Old 2009-07-27, 12:37pm

I also love the champagne color! I made some cabinet knobs with it. They are just plain and I love them!
Old 2009-07-27, 5:08pm

Devardi has a new "dark champagne" that is awsome! Jim
Old 2009-07-27, 6:11pm

Wow! Just found this thread. The last time I read anything about this glass, no one had anything nice to say.
I guess I need to start making a list of what I am going to buy.
Thanks all!

Back in my day, we had nine planets.
Old 2009-07-27, 8:00pm
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasminann View Post
I worked with some more colors yesterday. The butterscotch was disappointing -- a LOT of devit. Has anyone else run into this? ~~SNIP

Yes, I was really bummed about the butterscotch when I tried it too. Devit and boiled and went 'matte', but I'm going to give it another try and work it much cooler to see if I can get it to play nice.

Closed Thread

Tags
devardi