Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-11-16, 1:03pm

Default occupational progressive lenses

I've tried numerous tricks to help me see with my aging eyes while working at the torch. I've tried my distance glasses with torch reading glasses over top; tried my multifocal contact lenses with protective glasses with no reader and with readers- though my eyes really dry out; tried my distance contacts with reader protective lens; tried no corrective distance vision/glasses/contacts with protective glasses... just can't seem to find a winning combination. It's really frustrating. Does anyone have experience with occupational progressives with green ace 3 05 5 over top or with clip ons? Or corrective traditional progressive glasses with protective lenses? What's worked for you???
Old 2011-11-16, 1:27pm
Pyromaniac

I wear my boro glasses over my progressives but they are just regular progressives with readers on the bottom and no correction on the top.

I also have a pair of stick on lenses I put inside soft glass lenses. They work pretty well but if you have a strong correction on the top of your progressives that's not going to work for you.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-11-16, 4:33pm

I use Philips #3s fit over my progressive lenses. No problem for me at all. Not really sure what the problem is your asking about, though. Are your protective lenses messing with your prescriptions?
Old 2011-11-16, 8:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
I use Philips #3s fit over my progressive lenses. No problem for me at all. Not really sure what the problem is your asking about, though. Are your protective lenses messing with your prescriptions?
Me too. No problem for me.
Old 2011-11-16, 9:45pm
Harold Williams Cooney

wow. post gone wrong. very sorry about that.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.

Last edited by HWCGlass; 2011-11-17 at 3:40pm.
Old 2011-11-16, 10:22pm

wooh man love your beads but your pictures are too big, and this isn't the gallery.

Old 2011-11-17, 7:58am
senior citizen lampworker

why are these photos so big? they are so big I cant enjoy them on my comp. without scrolling, and then I can only see 1/4 of a bead at a time. anyone else have this problem?
what I can see of them makes me want to see more. they look great.
mike

A YouTube video I made:
Old 2011-11-17, 9:09am

Way too big and in the wrong place. kinda derails this thread on glasses.
Old 2011-11-17, 10:44am

Thanks for your repsonses:
Sorry to not be more clear- I don't have progressives and am trying to figure out if I should go with traditional progressives or with occupational progressives where the middle vision is greater.

And the darker phillips 5 (I have really light colored light sensitive eyes) does make it harder for me to see which I have compensated for with extra flood lamps attached to sides of my hood.
Old 2011-11-17, 11:09am

Sounds like the full progressives might help but I am not an optometrist. Go and have them test you and they will be able to tell easily if you need them. I like the #3 lenses. Any reason you chose the 5s?
Old 2011-11-17, 10:31pm

Consider a magnifying lamp. That's what I use and I leave my script glasses off and didys on.

Kym
Old 2011-11-18, 7:36am

I use a pair of presciption aura lens that I got 6 years ago. They weren't cheap, but it is so much better than trying to wear two pair of glasses when you are at your torch all day. Unfortunately, it looks like my prescription needs to be changed again, and I am not looking forward to having to replace them.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2011-11-18, 8:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
I use a pair of presciption aura lens that I got 6 years ago. They weren't cheap, but it is so much better than trying to wear two pair of glasses when you are at your torch all day. Unfortunately, it looks like my prescription needs to be changed again, and I am not looking forward to having to replace them.
base on some recent posts on the mp I dont think he is in business anymore.
Old 2011-11-18, 11:39am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I used the stick on lenses for a long time then a friend gave me a pair of perscription glasses his brother had used before getting out of glass working. The perscription was just perfect for my eyes.
Old 2011-11-18, 11:53pm

I had my optometrist make me a pair of welder's green #3 in my progressive bifocal prescription and I wear a pair of didymium clip-ons over those. Works well.

Angela Kane

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2011-11-19, 8:29am

Quote:
Thats too bad. I really like the lenses. I have tried other filters and the AURA with flip ups worked best for me. Looks like I need to start investigating other choices. Maybe a regular dydimium with a shade 3 flip up. I hate change...... LOL

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2011-11-19, 10:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
Thats too bad. I really like the lenses. I have tried other filters and the AURA with flip ups worked best for me. Looks like I need to start investigating other choices. Maybe a regular dydimium with a shade 3 flip up. I hate change...... LOL

Try the philips products. I love #3 wrapaounds.
Old 2011-11-19, 11:10pm
Fancy Mammal

Quote:
I just bought some mandrels from him (maybe 3 weeks ago?), so at least that side of the business was running smoothly then.
Old 2011-11-20, 1:12pm

I had the same problem,tried many diff combinations,finall found that readers with diddy clip ons worked the best.I still have problems with depth perception and am thinking about going to eye MD and explain what I need.Also improved my lighting area.Hope you find a solution.