Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-11-16, 11:50pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Default How to tell Dk. Sky Blue and Dk. Turquoise apart?

Yes, hanging my head in shame... I should have known better... and yada yada yaa... but I did store a little too long a bundle of dk. sky blue and dk. turquoise side by side, and they havent been labeled... and the rubber band broke, on both colors (DANG IT!)! Now I have a bunch of rods that all look exactly the same, and I dont know how to tell them apart. I think I might have to do some actual melting to test them... but is there even then a way to tell which is which? Seriously, I dont see anything different in those rods...
So frustrating!
Old 2011-11-17, 12:05am
one day at a time

The dark turquoise is slightly darker and a little brighter, like there is more green in it. The dark sky is more of a pure bluey blue. Am I making sense?? I just woke up and need to get that first cup of coffee.
Old 2011-11-17, 3:40am
Dark Flower Bead Art

Won't tourquoise reduce with a copper red haze and dark sky blue won't? maybe you could touch the tips in a reduction flame or something? I clearly am just guessing. you could try a dot with ivory also, tourquoise will react and sky blue wont...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-11-17, 7:42am
Lampworkaholic!

In my opinion they are indistinguishable (how is that for a big word). Dark Sky will reduce to copper just like Dark Turquoise and both are prone to that silver scum. I can't see a difference in the beads, although I probably wouldn't mix them if I was making spacers.

I try to avoid both colors myself. I do like Light Sky and Light Turquoise and I adore CiM Freman which is more stable in both respects (copper and silver reduction).

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-11-17, 8:07am
uncouthful cats

Invest in a bunch (I DO mean a bunch; I need to get more again) of large & small hair elastic thingies. They won't break down like rubber bands. I know, it doesn't help you right now, but you will bless me in the future if you follow my advice!

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2011-11-17, 8:45am
Mary Lockwood

I think the dark turquoise reduces more easily.

Both of them will reduce to copper, but it takes more work to get it out of the sky blue than the turquoise. The sucky part is that you'd have to test every rod.

You might could test one rod, and then look at the cut ends of the rods and see if you can tell which ones match. Like with certain colors they have tree rings in them and if your batch all looks the same, you will be able to tell which rods are which. Once you have tested one of them anyway. And that is assuming they're from the same batch.

Oy...what a mess.

The good news is that working-wise, you probably won't be able to tell much difference even if you never do sort them out. As long as you end up with the color you want on the beads, it won't matter what the name is.

~~Mary

Old 2011-11-17, 9:41am
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clan tabby View Post
Invest in a bunch (I DO mean a bunch; I need to get more again) of large & small hair elastic thingies. They won't break down like rubber bands. I know, it doesn't help you right now, but you will bless me in the future if you follow my advice!
I trade some stuff for a bunch of glass with SuzyQ and all of it came wrapped in cover ponytail holders. I though it was strange at the time but, I'm a newb and had never heard this trick before. As I read other posts I figured it out and... She's just a smartypance! LOL. I've been switching over to the covered ones as needed.
Old 2011-11-17, 10:29am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Thanks everyone, thankfully I shouldnt need to do this in the future, since I now have my storage units... and I figured it wont probably make any difference to use them in beads, if I cant tell them apart, nobody else should be either... I just am kinda OCD about certain stuff and it just more annoys me than anything.
Mary had very good point... looking at their cut ends... I have one labeled rod on both bundles, so if the cut ends are different, I might be able to solve the riddle.
Old 2011-11-17, 11:19am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

ok, I think I give up! I had on part of the rods distinctive dark striation go through the whole cane, so I divided them according to that... but then I decided to go with the color... and I divided them according to greener ones and ones not so green... but then when I turned the rods, they were all different color on the other side.
So I thought that the striation was the way to go, until I noticed that they all have it, some just more noticeable. AAARRRRGGGHHHHHH!

So the distinctive striation is one and the rest is the other. And if you want to buy from me beads made with them, dont count on it being either one!
Old 2011-11-17, 11:26am
The Harbinger of Cuteness

I'm still slightly new and quite ignorant. If they look exactly the same why do you need to keep them separate? Is there something about the way the two glasses melt or react to other glass that makes it necessary to distinguish between the two?

Also, under what kind of lights are you looking at these rods? I have a GE Reveal bulb next to my workbench that reveals all sorts of color variation that I can't otherwise see under fluorescent. Or maybe you could take the glass out into the sunlight, that might help too.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-11-17, 11:56am
A True Woofer

Sometimes if you put on your Didymium glasses, it's easier to see the difference between the two colors and you can separate them from each other. Telling which is which I have no idea, unless a rod of each is labeled.

Old 2011-11-17, 1:58pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I do have one rod of each labeled... I will try to look at them through my shield... Thanks for the tip. I do look at them in the direct sunlight, but at least that way I cant see other than some of them have more defined striation in them.

Lyssa, I am thinking myself that there probably isnt any reason to sweat it, I dont think they will look, or behave any different. And if I knew before I ordered the d. sky blue, that it was identical to the d. turquoise, I wouldnt even have bothered.
Old 2011-11-17, 8:40pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Mine are labelled (at least their little cubby holes are), but the main difference I find is that the sky blues will go translucent, almost transparent when melted, even after being worked for a little while. A really cool thing to see while you're making a bead But I haven't noticed that in any of my turquoises.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2011-11-17, 9:24pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Thank you Di, this is exactly the kind of info I was hoping to find. Not sure if it will matter, but I will have a better peace of mind if I get them sorted out properly. I will let you know then later on how wrong I divided them!
Old 2011-11-17, 9:25pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

This is what happens with MCD too... it turns transparent, and before it cools down, it looks like you burnt the color, and ruined your work. I cant wait to get back on torch on Sunday to try stuff out... and sort out my glass
Old 2011-11-18, 11:15am

MCD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Kaven View Post
This is what happens with MCD too... it turns transparent, and before it cools down, it looks like you burnt the color, and ruined your work. I cant wait to get back on torch on Sunday to try stuff out... and sort out my glass

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-11-18, 11:33am
sunscreen me baby

The covered hair elastics do break down over time. They lose their stretch, but they don't stick to the glass.

~

Old 2011-11-18, 12:15pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

MCD= Multicolor dark. Reichenback color... I think I got couple examples...

Old 2011-11-18, 12:16pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa View Post
MCD?
MCD= mulitcolor dark

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-11-18, 12:31pm

Ah, if i recall correctly I have a rod of that. Maybe. Maybe not.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-11-18, 1:43pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Kaven View Post
MCD= Multicolor dark. Reichenback color... I think I got couple examples...

Oh. My. When I saw this pic, my eyes got as wide as plates. It was cartoonlike! That is beautiful. Mama want. LOL
Old 2011-11-18, 1:51pm

So sad, those pics are "broken" for me. I can't see images that are hosted on websites like Photobucket or Flickr (while I am at work, I mean, which I am right now). Can't wait to get home to see them! Heck, I just can't wait to get home!

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-11-18, 2:42pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Aimee, I have the same problem when I'm at work... I hate when I can't see the pictures in gallery... Or anywhere else. This is just a picture of a nugget with nothing else but MCD. Nothing special, but I appreciate Monica's comment.
Old 2011-11-18, 3:11pm

What about silicon stretch bands? I notice some around the hair sections of the supermarket and wondered if they would break down like the rubber bands do?

Kym
Old 2011-11-18, 3:37pm
Loving learning

Can't look, can't look, can't look, already bought 2 things this week ~ she says, looking & drooling anyway!
Old 2011-11-19, 6:06pm

You can get the little stretchy ponytail bands at the Dollar store 300 for $1.00. So much better than rubberband goo on the glass rods.
Old 2011-11-19, 10:42pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Oooooh, I hate that petrofied rubberband on the rods... hate it!
Old 2011-11-20, 11:08pm
Certified Thread Killer

Okay…ONE of these two colors has a reduction that WILL NOT come off even after a good soaking in all but etching solution!

I can't tell which blue it is without making more spacers but ONE of them is making me pull my hair out!

I just thought Dark Sky Blue was a mislabeled rod of Dark Turquoise. LOVE the color, hate the scummy reduction

This topic helped me realize that I have delayed crazy for at least another day…now I know there really IS a Dark Sky Blue and the universe isn't playing crummy jokes on me.

P.S. I started using the little "no pull" hair elastics. They're cloth-coverd and black-colored but they don't hold a very big bundle or a very small bundle. I haven't had any stretch out after almost three years. the rubber bands…all dead and in the bottom of my glass bin.
Old 2011-11-21, 7:52am
Glass-aholic

Dk sky blue is 100% smurf!!! And is probably the one giving you the reduction!
If that helps... How's the sort going??

Oh and maybe take a picture. The camera may pick up the shades better.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2011-11-21 at 7:54am.
Old 2011-11-21, 1:05pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

The sort is still on just the base of visual stuff... I am planning on melting that stuff and hopefully see some differences then. So far all my torching plans have gone to shreds because of the new storing system... cant really complain, but I am just little OCD with organizing. No, dont understand wrong, I am not necessarily organizing freak, but certain things I just need to get right, and Ive been spending some time with the storage units...