No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-24, 2:22pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Default Rod Warmer Problem

I got a Devardi rod warmer and am using it for the first time. It's melting my rods. It fused a devardi white with an effetre white that was next to it and then the devardi white got so soft that it bent upwards and is now stuck to the top. It's changing the colour of some of the effetre rods. I shut it off...anyone have one of these. I have the metal plate in place on the bottom like specified.
Namaste
Rowyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-24, 2:28pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I would send it back and get one from a beauty supply place - I've never had that happen with my Hot N gold or gold n hot - whatever it is - one.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-02-24, 2:47pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Daniel called me immediately. LOL. he said only one other one has done this and he will test one and send it out to me. And he's including some glass "for my trouble".
Great customer service with a smile!!!
I thought maybe I had done something wrong...wwooosh...what a week I'm having, I am learning ALOT!
Thanks "Squid"! I love sparke, too!

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Old 2011-02-24, 3:21pm
I fart diamonds

Curling iron heaters will get hot enough to melt your rods, so it's not necessarily a malfunction. Remember, they are made for another purpose and we've just adapted them for ours. I use fiber blanket in mine ans make sure my rods aren't touching.

Old 2011-02-24, 3:41pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Ditto what Shawnette said. When I had one it would always get hot enough that my rods would slump. I plugged mine into a dimmer switch thingy so I could control the degree of heat.

Old 2011-02-24, 4:42pm

Yeepers has the right idea.
Old 2011-02-24, 4:43pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Aha - maybe 104 is more likely to get melted too. I mostly use BE.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-02-24, 4:49pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Thank you. The little plate they sent to put on top of the 'warmer' turned brown and the millefiore I had in a little triangle bead/frit tray melted.
He said not to turn it back on. That they are not supposed to get that hot and that he thought wires in the top could be touching.
I know curling iron heaters can get really hot, I googled the brand and it says it only get's up to 450 degrees and I know glass doesn't melt at 450, so I dunno.
If the replacement he sends me does the same thing, a dimmer switch sounds good or I thought a fiber blanket could help but only it it's not overheating.
Angel Blessings
Rowyn

Old 2011-02-24, 4:54pm
da General

Rowyn - It's 450C which equals to almost 850F.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-02-24, 5:59pm
Triumphantly Knit!

I had a feeling that was what I would be told, chuckle chuckle..Will 850 slump and fuse? I anneal at 940, ramp down to 850 and hold for 30 and then ramp down some more.

This was like after an hour and a half, not even 4 hours.....
You guys know more than me, but then Daniel said it shouldn't be doing that.
Since he's being gracious enough to send me another I'll see, if it does the same thing I'll send him one back. I thought maybe they modified them to not be that hot????Me and my ever thinkin' mind that never stops, LOL...
I appreciate everyone's input, immensely.
Namaste
Rowyn

Old 2011-02-24, 8:53pm
Life is change. Love it

I don't really get using rod warmers. I work in sub zero temperatures and never preheat rods or murrini. The only time I've ever preheated was to plunge an implosion into a shipwreck bead and I did that in the kiln.

Old 2011-02-24, 8:56pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I use it for flower petals

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-02-24, 9:39pm
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
I don't really get using rod warmers. I work in sub zero temperatures and never preheat rods or murrini. The only time I've ever preheated was to plunge an implosion into a shipwreck bead and I did that in the kiln.
Bingo. But, if you are using super shocky glass, a rod warmer will help. Personally, I would much rather save my money buying a rod warmer and buy a more stable glass for a wee bit more money.

Old 2011-02-24, 11:10pm

I have one of the rod warmers from Devardi and love it. If I leave a rod in there for hours it may start to slump, but I keep my murrini on the top and they have never melted. I have a bunch of the really shocky Vetro odds like Marble Avocado, Olive, Dk Olive etc and using the rod warmer is the difference between having a bench covered in very expensive frit and being able to make beads.

Old 2011-02-24, 11:58pm

That's my thought too. Just because some effetre and vetrofond is shocky, doesnt mean you can't use it if you warm it up first
Old 2011-02-25, 3:35am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
Bingo. But, if you are using super shocky glass, a rod warmer will help. Personally, I would much rather save my money buying a rod warmer and buy a more stable glass for a wee bit more money.
Ever try using Effetre Anise White? It's a lovely color but definitely frit on a stick, even when it's preheated. The same goes for seeded glass. Effetre and Vetrofond have a lot of shocky colors, so it's not about being cheap and buying cheap glass. I've had my warmer for years; long before Devardi ever came onto the scene. As a matter of fact, I am the one who told them about the heaters and they started carrying them in their store. Smart business, if you ask me.

Old 2011-02-25, 10:45am
Triumphantly Knit!

I tried putting a fiber blanket down and in about 20 minutes the whole warmer was glowing bright red and rods were falling backwards, slumping, the thing is waaaay too hot.
Using HH and mapp pro, the one time price of a rod warmer will save all the pre heating slowly and as Shawnette said, eliminate the frit on a stick syndrome. I actually had success with anice white yesterday, now I know why! And the money I save from not having pieces of calico go clunking off will buy waaaayy more glass than the $45 rod warmer.....to each her own.
Namaste
Rowyn

Old 2011-02-25, 10:51am
Peerless Thread Killer

I use a hot plate. I put a steel plate on the coil. It's adjustable, too, which is great. I also have room for one of those mini cast iron skillets (they are about 4" in diameter) that I put small chunks of goldstone or murrinis in.

I use a lot of shocky rods - definitely anice white is one of them, so is red roof tile, but many of the vetrofond odd lots are really bad. None of my rods ever melt. I have the hot plate turned to just above low, and that seems to be enough heat.

Old 2011-02-25, 11:03am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I have a Gold-N-Hot, or whatever, and I measured the temp inside it with a pyrometer probe just loosely laying in the chamber at over 940 deg F. so they do get really hot.

PJH
Old 2011-02-25, 11:12am
Triumphantly Knit!

I had been using a small buffet warmer, I'm not sure if that's what it's called, I originally got it for pmc. I also have a mug warmer I've been using for murini. I really wanted a rod warmer. If I'd had the other things around, (hot plates, waffle irons, etc)I probably wouldn't have just used that especially if it's adjustable.
I admire the creativity everyone has implenting everyday items into their art.
I love the melding spirits of the feminine creative Goddess with the hunting male whick result in the ultimate creator. I think Pisces energy is getting to me. Time to light up!
Angel Blessings
Namaste
Rowyn