No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-08-29, 12:00pm
tiptrinket

Default Your Torch

If you were buying a torch now after having owned one, would you buy the same one? Why or why not?
I need help deciding which one I want.
Tippy
Old 2011-08-29, 12:15pm
Janell

Yes I would still buy a Lynx, it is an awesome torch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[url]
Old 2011-08-29, 2:14pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I have a Lynx and a Minor. I would buy both again.

ETA: I was not happy at all with the Lynx on a 5lpm concentrator. Once I got an 8lpm concentrator, it performed much better and I have been very happy with it ever since.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Last edited by loribeads; 2011-09-06 at 5:22pm. Reason: extra info
Old 2011-08-29, 3:05pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Fyi, there is a bulk buy going on in the garage sale bulk buy area on GTT torches.

I have a minor and now a Cricket. The cricket really sings with a 5 lpm concentrator. Still wanting to go bigger though, lol A girl can dream right.

Old 2011-08-29, 3:12pm

I have a Minor and a Lynx. I love them both.

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." Douglas Adams
Old 2011-08-29, 3:16pm

Worked extensively on a Hot Head, Minor, and just started with a Piranha. Thumbs up all around.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2011-08-29, 3:20pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Minor Burner. It's like Timex, takes a lickin', keeps on tickin'.
Old 2011-08-29, 3:23pm
Nikki Haverstock

I have only ever used a minor (ok well a hothead but I mean oxy/fuel torches) and I like it a lot.
Old 2011-08-29, 3:34pm

Yup. GTT mirage.
Old 2011-08-29, 3:40pm
Flaming Redhead!

I have a Minor, a Mega Minor and a Cheetah. The Minor is an absolute workhorse and you can't go wrong buying one. The Mega Minor...meh, probably wouldn't waste my time buying another if I had to. Ok torch if you start on it but for an upgrade it wasn't much of a difference from the Minor. The Cheetah...oh yeh, I'd buy again and again. That torch does everything from fine pin point flame to bushy...melts boro like it's butter and is very quiet.

Am I looking for a bigger torch? Always...upgrading is a good thing. But really, I haven't found anything I like as much as the Cheetah so for now I'm sticking with it.

I think the real question is...what do you want the torch to do? Pin point flame for fine detail work? Bushy flame for larger, sculptural pieces? That would make a difference in what torches you'd want more info on.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2011-08-29, 3:50pm
I fart diamonds

I've had a MiniCC, Lynx, Cheetah, Baracuda, Cricket (2), and Phantom. I would buy another Minicc if the price was really good. It's not a bad torch but I work on oxy cons and there are other more efficient torches out there. I would ONLY buy another Cheetah or Baracuda if they were super cheap. Again, not bad torches, but the Cheetah is an oxy hog and anything I can do on a Cheetah, I can do on a Lynx. Actually, I probably wouldn't buy another Cheetah. The Baracuda is ok but doesn't have that deep thrusting heat like the GTT torches (that sounds dirty). I freakin' LOVE my Crickets! Super hot on limited oxygen and contrary to popular belief, you can work fairly large on them. The Cricket is an awesome small torch. My heart still bleeds for my Phantom which I was forced to sell for financial reasons. I'm currently lusting for a Sidewinder, though. (also GTT)

Old 2011-08-29, 4:29pm
honorary bead lady

I bought a used Major/minor, would I buy it again... NOPE! I only use the minor on top, the torch is old technology, you either have a little flame or a huge flame. I do love the minor as it has a bushier flame than the cricket.
Old 2011-08-29, 4:45pm

I LOVE my Lynx. I am looking for a back up now & though the Scorpion is awesome, I more need a Cricket.
Old 2011-08-29, 4:48pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Herbie 55mm, Mini CC, 8M, Baracuda, Tiger Shark, Mirage, Kabuki.

Would I buy them again?
Herbie - no, I never use it, not particularly good for my style work
Mini CC - maybe, its a nice little bead torch
8M - no, it was my first oxy/fuel torch
Baracuda - yes if priced right, workhorse for a year or so
Tiger Shark - no as I never used it, got in a trade
Mirage - Hell yes, one of the greatest torches around
Kabuki - Damn Right! more torch than I need at the moment but a dream torch none the less.

PJH
Old 2011-08-29, 4:54pm
Ad astra per aspera

I spent one week with a HH, scared me silly and was so slow.
Spent my first 4 years on a Minor, and was mostly content.
I've had my Midrange Plus (with premix on top) ever since...11 years and going strong. I love it.
IF I were doing more boro, and had the money to boost my NG pressure and either go back to tanked or get a bigger generator, I would jump on a Carlisle Hellcat. I got to play with one at GlassStock a few years ago and fell madly in love. Alas, it's just not meant to be.

Old 2011-08-29, 5:03pm
And silence is golden

We have a Minor, Cricket and a Hothead. The Minor and the Cricket have their own special characteristics. Depending on what you like as far as a flame goes, they are both great torches. I'd buy either of them again. Moving up to a Bobcat one of these days.
Old 2011-08-29, 5:54pm

I moved from a HH to a Cricket. I need to add a second concentrator for the boro but I am quite happy with the torch itself.

Old 2011-08-29, 5:56pm

Love my cricket! Have used a HH (bleeughgh!) and a minor as well. The minor is great, but on an oxycon I think the cricket has the edge. In the future, think I would like a Scorpion, but would need a bigger oxycon, so have to wait until I'm cashed up.

Old 2011-08-29, 6:05pm

Tippy, you can come over this weekend and try a Bobcat and a Cricket if you want.
Old 2011-08-29, 7:31pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I went from a HH to my mini-CC. I would buy it again in a heartbeat, I love my torch! I can get a wide variety of flame sizes from pinpoint to bushy and I've never had any problems with it at all. That said I use tanked oxy and not a concentrator and don't plan to change anytime soon.

Old 2011-08-29, 7:57pm

I have A GTT Cheetah I love this torch I can make any thing from a 1/4 inch soft glass bead to a 2 1/4 inch boro marble and that is not even running it wide open.
I do not use an oxycon so I do not have any oxygen issues as for being an oxygen hog it uses a fraction compared to the wildcat I was lent.
Yes I would buy again. My wife uses a mega minor which is the first torch we owned yes we would buy that again. the big difference between the mega minor and minor torch is that the mega minor is better for both 104 and 33 coe glass. I was able to make 11/4 boro marbles on the mega minor while the minor I tried was just not hot enough

#C-151
Old 2011-08-29, 8:01pm

Took classes on a minor and bought a mini cc and a M15 oxy-con when I set up my home studio a few years ago, but now i'm dreaming of something bigger!

Liz

Old 2011-08-29, 8:02pm
da General

Outgrew the Bobcat and upgrade to a Barracuda. Never looked back. LOVE my Cuda! I took it to use at Loren Stump's class and it melts GINORMOUS murrine perfectly fine. AND the inner fire is hotter and wider than the Bobcat for my large beads.

Now Bethlehem replaced it with the Bravo which is supposed to be hotter and more oxy/fuel efficient so I would love to try one!

I teach on Minors and Cricket a lot - nothing compares to the Cuda, imho!

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-08-29, 8:20pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I've had:

HH - no would not get another because it's not hot enough.
Mini CC - really good torch
Bobcat - nice torch
Pirahna - awesome torch
Barracuda - Love it & would buy again. (this is the torch I use now)

This is what I would love to have >> http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=191292&page=3

Vivian

-

Old 2011-08-29, 8:44pm
Capitalist Pig

Mirage; fantastic torch. Probably the most versatile (sp) torchs made.

"Comrades! We must abolish the cult of the individual decisively, once and for all." [Nikita Khrushchev , February 25, 1956 20th Congress of the Communist Party]

"We must stop thinking of the individual and start thinking about what is best for society." [Hillary Clinton, 1993]
Old 2011-08-29, 9:15pm
Unmedicated since '62

i used a hothead for about 20min - er no thanks

i've had a minor for two years, never skips a beat

i think if i change it will be a scorpion but i really want to play with some torches first

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-08-29, 9:26pm
Smile, it's contagious!

I have a Hothead and its the only torch I've ever tried.

Would I buy it again? Yes I would... I am a starving artist and its the only torch I can afford.

I think I'd like a cricket or a minicc, but can't ever seem to save up for the torch, oxycon, hoses, regulator, etc.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2011-08-30, 1:00am

I have had a lynx (couldn't get a big enough oxycon for it) but on tanked it was wonderful.
A Betta which is as good as a cricket on the same fuel.
A minor, a workhorse, reliable and just keeps going on.
A cricket, I like but would like a bigger flame now.
A mini CC which belongs to Liz De Luca and I like that too....maybe more than the minor.

Kym
Old 2011-08-30, 7:07am
BaZinga!

I have a HH which I used for about a year and a Nortel Mid Range. I would not buy the MidRange again. I want a torch that I can adjust the flame. I can't do it on this one.

Genius Prayer: God, grant me the courage to change the things I cannot accept; serenity to accept the things I've changed, and the wisdom to know I'm different. -S. Pastis
Nortel Mid-Range, tanked O2 and propane, GlassHive kiln
Old 2011-08-30, 3:31pm

Started with a Hot Head, moved to a Piranha - which I absolutely LOVE - also have a Cricket but have gone back to using the Piranha as my primary torch. If I were to upgrade to a larger torch, I would go with either a Barracuda or a Bravo. I've had nothing but great experiences both with my Piranha and with Bethlehem's customer service.