Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2010-03-09, 7:39pm

Arrow Hayley Tsang & Holly Cooper in Maine -- May 27-28 & 29-30, 2010

Hayley Tsang & Holly Cooper
at Playing with Fire!
Rockland, Maine

May 27-28 & 29-30, 2010
Thurs/Fri & Sat/Sun

Hayley Tsang
'Explore the Magic of Silver Glass'

Thursday-Friday - Class hours 9 to 5.
$500.00 Lunches included. Possible Materials fee TBA

In this two-day workshop, you will explore the many facets of working with silver glass. For reducing silver glass you will learn how to work with different reduction flames, varying length of reducing time, and changing placements and positions of the bead in the flame, to achieve various results. For striking silver glass you will learn how to achieve and recognize the "first strike", thus enabling you to duplicate the striking sequence on your own.

Once the basic technique of working with silver glass is achieved, you will learn the different ways of using silver glass to expand your repertoire. Some of the techniques we will cover include encasing silver glass, surface decoration with silver glass – stringers, shards and twisties, and using silver glass in gravity swirls. In addition to how to achieve the best results with this mysterious glass, special emphasis will be placed on design and perfect bead shaping. With the exception of the initial instruction on how to strike and reduce spacer beads, you will be making large bicone/tubular shaped beads.

Students should be at an intermediate skill level and comfortable working on a propane/oxygen mix torch.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holly Cooper-Olds
'Stringer Design and Control'

Saturday-Sunday - Class hours 9 to 5.
$500.00 Lunches included. Possible Materials fee TBA

Holly Cooper beadThis is an intermediate class focusing on stringer control and design. Holly will show you the techniques she uses to create intricate detailed patterns on a small glass surface. She will also touch on ideas that will help you to promote individuality in your work.

Part of the session Holly will be showing how she manipulates fine stringers using simple tools and techniques as well as discuss the properties of glass as it relates to the making of stringers that hold an intricate pattern.

Holly will also demonstrate and discuss surface design elements such as: rhythmic pattern, negative and positive space, color, scale and proportion, bead shape and its relationship to the design, and modular pattern development. Holly uses modular development as a means of creating a complex design within a simple framework. She will demonstrate step-by-step how she achieves this in her beads.

Students should be intermediate level, comfortable working on a Hot Head torch or a propane/oxygen mix torch, and have good working control of their glass.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Please call 207-594-7805 to reserve your seat, and then please download our Class/Workshop enrollment form, and mail with your payment by check or credit card, or Fax your form to us with your credit card info. Accommodations: We recommend the Old Granite Inn, conveniently located just a few doors down from the studio. They extend 20% off any room rate year-round to Playing with Fire! students.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-03-12, 11:12am
da General

Holly and I can't wait to be there, Virginia!

Here is a thread with pics of my student's work:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=150829

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-04-10, 2:46pm

You don't want to miss Hayley's WONDERFUL class!! You will finally learn to make silver glass work for you - both striking and reducing. I can't stress how much I got out of what Hayley taught us. Up until then it was just kind of hit and miss for me, but now I understand how to "work" the glass. Here are a few beads I made after taking the class:

Old 2010-04-12, 4:13pm

I'm going! Come on, there's a few seats left..... can't wait....

Sals
Old 2010-04-12, 4:34pm
da General

Sals - are you taking my or Holly's class . . . or both?

Lisa - those are gorgeous! You make me SO PROUD!

I am actually taking Holly's class at Arrow Springs this weekend! Yay! I hope to have pics to post . . . if they are not tooooooooo pathetic (my stringer work need help!) lol!

Come people, sign up now! Holly and I wanna visit Maine!

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-04-22, 5:50am
Live and Let Live

Wow! I would love to be able to take BOTH of these. And they're so conveniently scheduled back to back. How can I pick just one? I'm impaired in both silver glass and stringer control!

Old 2010-04-22, 6:38am
In search of her path....

You dont Lisa! Just take em both!: ) hehe if I had the money I seriously would consider at least Hollys...Would love Hayleys too but my summer classes start by then and I have one on thursday nights.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2010-04-22, 7:44am
da General

We would love to have you in both our classes, Lisa, but if you were to take just one . . .hmmmmm that would be a tough one!

I am stringer challenged and actually just took Holly's class myself at Arrow Springs last weekend. Here are my class beads!

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-04-22, 8:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
Wow! I would love to be able to take BOTH of these. And they're so conveniently scheduled back to back. How can I pick just one? I'm impaired in both silver glass and stringer control!
Oh Lisa!

Definitely take both! They're going to be fabulous classes--just look at those beads that Hayley posted from this past week's class! Hayley, they're gorgeous!

Lisa, you're so close by, too...it's a beautiful drive up the coast to Rockland. Old Granite Inn, just across the street, gives 20% Playing with Fire! discounts too.

Pleasepleaseplease, we'd love to see you!

Old 2010-04-22, 11:10am

I am signed up for both classes. I am really looking forward to coming to Maine to improve my stringer control and learn how to work the expensive silver glass.
Hayley, those class beads from Holly's class are fantastic. I recently saw a couple of Holly's beads in person. They blew my mind how much detail she can get on a small bead.
I really hope people sign up for Holly's and Hayley's classes.

See you guys in May,
Laurie
Old 2010-04-22, 11:16am
da General

Yay, Laurie! We hope that we can fill the classes and have a great weekend together in Maine!

Holly's beads are just incredible and she is an amazing teacher. I was VERY stringer challenged before her class . . . here is a bead I just made, still need to work on the seams (where the stringer starts and ends). There was no way I could have wrapped that stringer on around the bead BHCC (before Holly Cooper's class! lol!)

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-04-22, 12:03pm
Live and Let Live

Hayley, I saw those beads you made in another thread last night and it got me looking to see where else Holly was teaching this year, which got me to the PWF Classes list and then I saw you're teaching there back to back with her. It was like lightening struck!

Virginia...
Let me go check my lottery ticket to see if I can swing both classes! It would be SO perfect!

Old 2010-04-22, 5:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF-Designs View Post
You dont Lisa! Just take em both!: ) hehe if I had the money I seriously would consider at least Hollys...Would love Hayleys too but my summer classes start by then and I have one on thursday nights.
Karin!

Thursday nights=class night. okayyyy...
Then come out for Holly's Saturday/Sunday class! We'd love to have you!

Old 2010-04-22, 6:40pm
da General

Lisa - we hope you will take advantage of this opportunity with both Holly and I teaching so close to you!

Karin - I won't be offended if you show up only for Holly's class!

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-04-26, 5:17am

Hi Haley! Sorry away from the computer... I wish I could take both classes!!! But I'm going to be in your class this time... Holly is at the top of my wish list though...

See you soon!

Sals
Old 2010-04-26, 3:14pm
Live and Let Live

Okay, I'm officially IN for both classes now. Is it the end of May yet? Are we there yet ?

Old 2010-04-29, 3:01pm

I just spoke to Virginia and there are still spots open in the classes! I can't wait, 29 days and counting. Watch out lobster here I come...
Laurie
Old 2010-04-30, 7:58am

Yea!!!!! Lisa, Sals and Laurie!

Yes, there are some seats left... for those still thinking:
C'mon in! This is going to be so much fun with BOTH Hayley and Holly here together !!!

Old 2010-05-02, 3:23pm
Fire Monkey

Yay guys!

Did I hear "lobster"?......yum!

Old 2010-05-04, 1:08pm
Live and Let Live

Putting in a pitch for NancyInVermont to get herself in here and sign up for these classes! C'mon Nancy!

Old 2010-05-04, 5:32pm

Nancy in Vermont: we're gonna have such a great time!
C'mon, puh-leeeeeeeese !

Oh, and we speak 'kitteh' -- Samantha is waiting to meet you!

Old 2010-05-12, 12:38pm
Live and Let Live

Two weeks from now I'll be winging my way Northeastward to Rockland for these two classes... I can't wait!!

Old 2010-05-12, 1:23pm
da General

Can't wait, Lisa! We are going to have so much fun, fun, fun!!!

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-05-19, 9:07am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Can't wait, Lisa! We are going to have so much fun, fun, fun!!!

We ARE going to have a LOT of fun!!! Holly and Hayley will be here for each other's classes! -- it's going to be a memorable weekend indeed!

It's coming up fast! For anyone who is still on the fence, we still have a couple of seats left -- c'mon in! Give us a call to reserve your seat.

Old 2010-05-29, 6:59pm
Playing with Fire!

Hayley & Holly are great! This is the third day into the classes, with a full house of happy students. It's 10 pm and the studio is still rocking.... all I can say is that anyone who was sitting on the fence for these classes really missed a great experience, lots of laughter, and lots of good instruction. Day 4 tomorrow.

Playing with Fire!
Old 2010-06-02, 7:37am

Hi Virgina & Ed! Thanks for such a fabulous time in Maine! The studio is just great, and you guys really rock. I can't wait for my next time at PWF.

Sally
Old 2010-06-02, 10:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabella View Post
Hi Virgina & Ed! Thanks for such a fabulous time in Maine! The studio is just great, and you guys really rock. I can't wait for my next time at PWF.

Sally
Awwwwww Sally, thanks for your very nice post! We enjoyed having you here so much, you are the best! We're really glad you had a good time!

Old 2010-06-03, 11:44am
Fire Monkey

What a fantastic experience!
LOVE the studio and Virginia and Ed made it such a special time.
I look forward to coming again!

Old 2010-06-03, 7:02pm

Oh Holly! Thank you! We love YOU!
You, Hayley, and we had such great group of students!
You all made it a truly wonderful set of classes!
Thank you so much!