Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-08-30, 8:34am

Default My new Barracuda torch base

I've had my cuda for about 8-9 months now. I absolutely love the torch but have always disliked the rounded base. I've seen how others mount it but wished it came with a flat base like some of the other torches.

So, I had a torch base/stand made that suited me. Here are some pictures that I took last night. Its got a couple features that I'm not sure I'll use, but they are there just in case.

The mount that sticks up is offset from the middle which allows me to point the torch either toward the long end or short end -- depending on the table and how I want it adjusted.

Another feature it has (not sure if I'll use it) is that the torch mount will rotate. Normally the torch points away from you (12 o'clock). I can turn the base and point it at say, 11 o'clock (toward the left) if needed. Most likely I'll just keep it pointing at 12 o'clock but if I ever find the need -- I can rotate it easily.

Anyhow, I thought I would share in case anyone else thought of doing this.

Chris
www.fultra.net
Attached Images

Old 2010-08-30, 8:43am
ManBearPig

Looks much nicer than the base that comes with the torch (that they charge $100 for).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-08-30, 9:47am

I agree Chad. My reason for wanting this was to use a c-clamp rather than having to use the holes with the original base.

The company that made this for me is a machine shop here in Indianapolis. They are happy to make them if anyone else wants one. The would be $60.00 each.

Download Bails Made Easy & Homefill adapter tutorials free.
Old 2010-08-30, 10:16am
Somebody's watching me!

im actually about to buy a barracuda. the blue stem in the picture. is that something that comes with the torch if i order it without the base? i'm kind of ready to get the ball rolling on this but not so sure i'm ready to fully commit. i still like the GTT cheetah.

oh decisions decisions!!

Old 2010-08-30, 10:52am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerman44 View Post
im actually about to buy a barracuda. the blue stem in the picture. is that something that comes with the torch if i order it without the base? i'm kind of ready to get the ball rolling on this but not so sure i'm ready to fully commit. i still like the GTT cheetah.

oh decisions decisions!!
Get the Cheetah. Much better (and hotter) torch.

Old 2010-08-30, 10:57am
Somebody's watching me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
and less expensive too! im using tanked oxy if that makes a difference between the decision of a torch. im on a mega minor/red max combo. the mega minor is too small and the red max is too much...i've found i enjoy making pendants the most and the flame is either too small or too big. i dont have a med sized flame.

Old 2010-08-30, 10:58am
Somebody's watching me!

Quote:
oh...one of the main things that has kept me from going with gtt is the carbon build up problem i keep reading about. it seems to be with all gtt. i havn't figured out why this happens to so many people. any thoughts?

Old 2010-08-30, 11:16am

folks, barracudas are apparently on the way out.

we have what we have, and were told there will be no more.

i think it's an amazing little torch. great midsize burner

Old 2010-08-30, 11:32am
Somebody's watching me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR Dave View Post
folks, barracudas are apparently on the way out.

we have what we have, and were told there will be no more.

i think it's an amazing little torch. great midsize burner
oh my...that is sad..i havn't found anyone that doesn't like the cuda. are they coming out with something new? is the company in trouble? why would they discontinue something that is great?

Old 2010-08-30, 11:32am

Default The news on the Cuda

I talked to Bethlehem today and inquired about this. Here is the short version.

They have discontinued the Barracuda and will be replacing it with a new torch called The Bravo. I asked for more info but the person hadn't seen one yet and said its a repalcement and will be an upgrade.

Its due out at the end of Septemeber or early October.

I've had a couple PM's about the torch stand. If you are intersted in one, let me know and I'll get you one. The machine shop is BlueSky here in Indianapolis. I've worked with Don for a while and he does good work.

Old 2010-08-30, 11:43am
Somebody's watching me!

well, well, well, looks like ill be waiting to see what the bravo is and maybe they'll do some intro pricing!

Old 2010-08-30, 12:34pm
I'm a lilac!

Wow, they'd have to really come up with something amazing to be superior to the Barracuda at the same price point... I just switched mine back to natural gas and was once again astonished by how well it runs on household pressure and a pair of oxycons. I love love love my torch!

Old 2010-08-30, 1:23pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
oh...one of the main things that has kept me from going with gtt is the carbon build up problem i keep reading about. it seems to be with all gtt. i havn't figured out why this happens to so many people. any thoughts?
I've heard that some people have a lot of carbon buildup and some never have any, so I'm not sure. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the people having carbon buildup aren't feeding them enough oxygen.

Quote:
oh my...that is sad..i havn't found anyone that doesn't like the cuda. are they coming out with something new? is the company in trouble? why would they discontinue something that is great?
Bethlehem does a lot of weird stuff. Don't get me started...

The Barracuda is a fine torch for soft glass. I hate it for borosilicate. There is no penetrating heat. It takes forever to make anything large with them. I worked on a Tiger Shark (one step above the Barracuda) for a while, and got rid of it for my CC. I can work MUCH larger and quicker on the CC than I could on the Tiger Shark, and the CC is a smaller torch.

Honestly, if it's a choice between a GTT and a Bethlehem, I don't think there is much of a choice. You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't go with the GTT.

Old 2010-08-30, 2:07pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
That is amazingly sad! One of the best torches EVER.
Agreed!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-08-30, 2:08pm
boro color bender

Super nice base!

Here's my new base... well, my painted base... the round works for me...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-08-30, 3:10pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
The Barracuda is a fine torch for soft glass. I hate it for borosilicate. There is no penetrating heat. It takes forever to make anything large with them.
We all have our favorite torches, which we love to pimp out... but this thread is about Barracudas.

I love my Barracuda for boro. I don't do a lot of large work (other than the occasional dildo, LOL... still practicing) but one thing I've found is that the heat is much more penetrating at lower fuel pressures. It's really noticeable when I switch to NG. Seems counterintuitive, but it's true.

Old 2010-08-30, 3:52pm

Brent - If only I had thought far enough ahead to make mine yellow! Haha. I like the smiley face!

Looks like this thread has stirred up the religious war on torches! I'm too new to give an opinion. I moved from a bobcat to a cuda which is a big upgrade. I'm very happy with the Cuda and the new torch base.

Old 2010-08-31, 9:17am
Curmudgeon Engineering

bakerman44,
I have several GTT torches; a Mirage and a Kabuki. Both have about 2 plus years time on them. I have NEVER had carbon build up on the face of either torch. If you learn how to properly adjust the flame and use the correct pressures the torch will look as good as new for years... at least mine has/does.

Too bad about the Bacaruda going away. Great torch. I guess my 4 stud manifolds for them will be a thing of the past also...sigh!

PJH
Old 2010-08-31, 9:24am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Might mention here that I still make 4 stud manifolds for the Baracuda, Tiger Shark, and PM2D. PM me for info.
PJH
Old 2010-08-31, 9:35am
MacGalver

Hey Baker~ I also run a GTT (Lynx) which has been in regular use for 6 years and I have zero problems with carbon buildup, even when I ran it on a single 5lpm oxy con. I agree that carbon problems are most likely are caused by running the torch with the fuel too high, and not an inherent problem with the torch.

Jo

Old 2010-08-31, 10:41am
Somebody's watching me!

well that's good to know...i think im going to go with the cheetah. the improper flame chemistry seems logical for so many people's carbon build up. (i guess i was skeptical of the brand because there were so many cases..maybe i should have been skeptical of the PEOPLE! haha). I'm on the hunt for one now.

i'll have my mega minor/red max up for sale soon if anyone is interested in that torch. I think it'd be great for beads, ornaments, and pipes, but i don't really care to make those things...at least not at this moment in time. If interested, i'll keep whoever updated on when it's available. just PM me.

Old 2010-08-31, 3:03pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
bakerman44,
I have several GTT torches; a Mirage and a Kabuki. Both have about 2 plus years time on them. I have NEVER had carbon build up on the face of either torch. If you learn how to properly adjust the flame and use the correct pressures the torch will look as good as new for years... at least mine has/does.

Too bad about the Bacaruda going away. Great torch. I guess my 4 stud manifolds for them will be a thing of the past also...sigh!

PJH
My guess is that your manifolds will probably still work just fine on their new torch... I can't wait to see the new torch!

Old 2010-08-31, 6:26pm
where is that UPS man?

Worked on a lynx for 5 years and just recently got my scorpion....
Can i say i love gtt except the wait time... Har har har...

Never had carbon problems over here..... Just regular clean up on the torch....and it puuuurrs like a kitten....

Deb
SERIOUS GLASS HO

Old 2010-09-01, 10:48am
ManBearPig

Quote:
well that's good to know...i think im going to go with the cheetah. the improper flame chemistry seems logical for so many people's carbon build up. (i guess i was skeptical of the brand because there were so many cases..maybe i should have been skeptical of the PEOPLE! haha). I'm on the hunt for one now.

i'll have my mega minor/red max up for sale soon if anyone is interested in that torch. I think it'd be great for beads, ornaments, and pipes, but i don't really care to make those things...at least not at this moment in time. If interested, i'll keep whoever updated on when it's available. just PM me.
Anything you can make on a Red Max you can make on a Cheetah. The flame is narrower so it would take more work to get the entire piece to the same heat level, but after a couple days working it wouldn't be a problem. I've made tons of stuff on a Minor, so if it can be done on a Minor, a Cheetah should be no problem.

Old 2010-09-01, 2:54pm
Somebody's watching me!

Quote:
Anything you can make on a Red Max you can make on a Cheetah. The flame is narrower so it would take more work to get the entire piece to the same heat level, but after a couple days working it wouldn't be a problem. I've made tons of stuff on a Minor, so if it can be done on a Minor, a Cheetah should be no problem.
yeah the red max is just too big.. there isn't a way to make the flame any more narrow or direct. it is just short or long...too much for a med sized pendant and i dont have enough patience with the minor..haha. thanks for your help and im loving the tutorial i got from ya!

Old 2010-09-06, 1:07pm
Bernhard Riegler

Love your base - I bought a Barracuda without a base to save the $ 100, but I used 2 ankle braces to secure it to my work bench - cost about $ 5 and works suuuuuuuper - food for thought?

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

Old 2010-09-11, 9:04am
Button Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyglassman View Post
I talked to Bethlehem today and inquired about this. Here is the short version.

They have discontinued the Barracuda and will be replacing it with a new torch called The Bravo. I asked for more info but the person hadn't seen one yet and said its a repalcement and will be an upgrade.

Ohhhhhh.... That's probably why I STILL haven't gotten the 4-stud manifold I ordered to convert my Barracuda... I ordered it over 6 months ago through Generations Glass and I can never get an answer as to why I don't have it yet.

Dang... I wanted to go to a 4-stud so I can use a foot pedal with it. I LOVE my Barracuda for soft glass, but need a separate O2 source (tanks) to work the outer ring for boro...
Old 2010-09-13, 10:58am
Button Queen

Yup, it's official. Word from Bethlehem is that they're no longer making the 4-stud manifold. So look for the Cuda replacement torch to only be available in a 2-stud...????
Old 2010-09-13, 11:29am
ManBearPig

Quote:
yeah the red max is just too big.. there isn't a way to make the flame any more narrow or direct. it is just short or long...too much for a med sized pendant and i dont have enough patience with the minor..haha. thanks for your help and im loving the tutorial i got from ya!
Most of my pendants I make with just the center fire of my CC. You'd be amazed what you can do on a Minor with enough oxygen...