Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-09-21, 10:34am

Default Thoroughly Peed Off

I have quite a few NS green opaques - and I know not to encase them.. but I find a NS green transparent in my stash, make 8 beads using SS 5 frit on the top and then encase them, they look lovely... I batch anneal, so I have just taken them out from under my thick annealing blanket, they are cold.. and each and every one of them has cracked in half.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-09-21, 10:42am

all the chrome goodness! Try to get your hands on a stick or two of Experimental Green #5. I have deeply encased some and no problems.
Old 2010-09-21, 11:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonker View Post
all the chrome goodness! Try to get your hands on a stick or two of Experimental Green #5. I have deeply encased some and no problems.
Great idea, but don't forget that Im in the "tiny amount of boro available country" called the UK

... and Im still cross about those beads. Grrrrrrrrr

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-09-21, 11:27am

Oh, sorry....forgot about the pond thing....well if you can...it's delicious
Old 2010-09-21, 12:16pm
ManBearPig

Most greens can't be encased. Amazon night is one that can. When I need green that's what I use.

Old 2010-09-21, 12:18pm
Glassmangler

They say the best way to get an encased boro green is to encase something not green Here's Blue Moon.

http://www.blankenship.com/pendants/...tex_dec_08.jpg

edit: ACK! That's huge. Click on it if you want a giant pic.
Old 2010-09-21, 12:36pm
Pyromaniac

I encased some TAG greens -- the experimental ones they had a while back (Sphagnum and Leprechaun) and they did not crack -- ever. They are regular colors now.

I think the key was a different approach to garaging and annealing.
Let me see if I can find that schedule.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2010-09-21, 12:38pm

Ahhh... now thats really interesting - blue moon goes green whoda thunk it
I've got Amazon night frit..... so if I used that would I get a green effect?

Old 2010-09-21, 12:48pm
Pyromaniac

Ok, if I remember correctly this is what was recommended by TAG for their greens . . . garage lower like at 950 or 970 and anneal for the smallest reasonable time at 1050. I did a few deep implosions and did not have any checking or cracking problems either.

From the website:
LEPRECHAUN (TAG-033-09) BLUE LEPRECHAUN (TAG-033-10)
Aventurine colors, not sensitive to atmosphere. The Leprechauns are medium-dense colors. Avoid long, hot garaging to prevent checking in implosions.
SPHAGNUM (TAG-033-11) BLUE SPHAGNUM (TAG-033-12)
Named for sphagnum moss, these aventurine colors are not sensitive to atmosphere. Sphagnum and Blue Sphagnum both have lighter, less-dense color than the Leprechauns, and work well in implosions. The Blue Sphagnum is bluer than Sphagnum, but far greener than Blue Leprechaun.

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2010-09-21 at 12:52pm.
Old 2010-09-21, 2:16pm
Type ZZZ personality

Glasstronics green was suggested to me for leaves in floral implosions.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2010-09-21, 2:20pm
Pyromaniac

I just realized my post is not helpful in the least since you batch annealed!

Sorry for your cracking problems. That is not fun.

Old 2010-09-21, 2:30pm

Thats ok Lana.... your LE thread 'boro color combinations' is permanantly up on my screen so you have been a GREAT help already

Old 2010-09-21, 3:21pm

Uhoh, I just encased Dr. Eye. Does anyone know if that is a problem, too? All I get out of it is green.

Old 2010-09-21, 4:43pm
Borovangelist

The dwarf green from Origin can be encased too.

|
|
Old 2010-09-21, 5:18pm

Lana - do you think I could use Leprechaun encased..... because I can actually buy that here in the UK, and Blue Sphagnum but not the plain Green Sphagnum what's the difference between Leprechaun and Blue Sphagnum please... Its about $4.70 plus delivery for a single rod over here - so I dont want to mess up

Old 2010-09-21, 7:01pm
Pyromaniac

Yes I think you could and as long as you avoid long garaging it should work fine.

Here's the original thread for the experimental greens:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...rautman+greens

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2010-09-21 at 7:05pm.
Old 2010-09-21, 7:26pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticstudio View Post
Glasstronics green was suggested to me for leaves in floral implosions.
NS Forest Green works for leaves as well. They reformulated Forest Green a few years ago and it works fine inside now.

Old 2010-09-22, 9:59am
Button Queen

I feel your pain. I found an unmarked rod of a transparent green. I KNOW for a fact it was boro - a rod that thick shatters instantly in the flame if it's soft glass. I didn't even encase it - just used it with frit. Made a whole bunch of pendants from it, using it as the base with the frit on top. Popped them right into the kiln. And 80% of them had cracks... <heavy sigh>
Old 2010-09-22, 10:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclogan View Post
I feel your pain. I found an unmarked rod of a transparent green. I KNOW for a fact it was boro - a rod that thick shatters instantly in the flame if it's soft glass. I didn't even encase it - just used it with frit. Made a whole bunch of pendants from it, using it as the base with the frit on top. Popped them right into the kiln. And 80% of them had cracks... <heavy sigh>
Frickin frackin green boro glass

Old 2010-09-23, 9:52pm
Dead man walking

Green dwarf works nice for deep encasing. The garage/anneal schedule above will help as well. I noticed my greens always checked until I changed to garaging at 950 instead of 1050.

Give it a shot and hope it helps!