Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-11-26, 9:34am

Default Prescription boro glass

Does anyone wear them?
I'm getting tired of putting the fit overs over my glasses...I have rather big frames and the fit overs don't quite fit over....and the 2 together are heavy and quite unattractive....
Any idea of where I can buy them and how much they might cost? Oh, and I wear progressives.
Thanks for any assistance.

Suzanne

Last edited by imagesinglass; 2012-11-26 at 9:37am. Reason: Add that I wear progressives
Old 2012-11-26, 10:16am

Phillips Safety will grind your prescription into any of their glasses. I have two pair of custom prescription glasses here that they made for my customers.

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2012-11-26, 10:28am

Well worth it!! Phillips is the best. I have 1.5 readers in Boro safety glasses and soft glass safety glasses. It is a huge improvement over a couple of layers of glasses.
Old 2012-11-26, 10:57am

Default Boro prescription glasses

Thanks for your replies Malcolm and pretties...
Malcolm, approximately how much do they cost? Do I just send them a copy of my prescription?

Suz
Old 2012-11-26, 1:31pm
Wonder-wench

I have the fit overs. At first they were uncomfortable. So I added moleskin to the nosepiece (kept adding till it felt right). this solved the sore nose bridge problem.

then I added eye glass holders which connect to the end of the ear pieces and cinches tight at the back of head. this solved the sore ear problem.

Now I love them.

Old 2012-11-27, 12:09am

I've got a similar story. My fit-overs weren't comfortable. My dog chewed up one of the ear-pieces, so I cut both of them off and tied on an elastic headband. Then they were awesome.
Old 2012-11-27, 7:32am
Borovangelist

I like Sugru for small repairs. I replaced the nosepad on my goggles with some.

|
|
Old 2012-11-28, 9:01am

I had some made by Auralens a couple years ago. The customer service was terrible but the glasses are great.

Old 2012-11-28, 1:43pm

I ordered some from Phillips. i just supplied them with my prescription. I too wear progressives and they were crazy expensive, like over $400 if i remember right. The kicker is, since you are picking out frames from a picture on the computer, I had no idea the frames were so huge! They come with a strap but even with that, they do not stay on my face.
So my over $400 glasses sit in a drawer and I use clip ons. Grrr! I contacted Phillips but I was pretty much SOL. I also checked with a local optician to see if the could put shorter arms on them or otherwise adjust them. They said because they were special safety glasses they couldn't touch them. So they sit in a drawer. Grrr!
Old 2012-11-28, 3:31pm

I purchased OPTX 20/20 Stick-On Bifocals. They're placed on the glasses and stick to the glass with a drop of water. They peal right off if you wish. They come in 1.5 -2.0 power.
I found them on Amazon for about 30 bucks. I bought two pair and made a circle with them. They work great.
Dave
I can send you a pic of them if you like.
Dave
Old 2012-11-29, 9:43am
Catchen' the Sun

I had really small eyeglasses bifocals with my prescription made with very light weight frames. I wear them under my didy's I got at mt glass (made by whale I think) and they work great. I usually don't even realize that I am wearing two pair of glasses just the one. much much cheaper than the 400 that you paid. My eye dr's office also said they could get me them in prescription but they are required by law to put them in safety frames. (ugly).

SRA # K36 Catchen' the Sun Glass Art

Old 2012-11-29, 4:58pm

Been using Optix for 10 years.... work like a charm and if you prescription changes you just whip them out and put another pair in. Custom would be awesome tho....

Old 2012-11-29, 7:05pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

My regular glasses are progressive, but when I ordered my prescription boro glasses I got bifocals (10 years ago?). They work great. They are very heavy, though, so I use one of those adjustable elastic bands that attach to the side pieces by my ears and go around the back of my head. They work great, but the one I have must be 30 years old, and the elastic is shot. I've been looking for a few years to buy a new one - no luck, so I'm going to replace the elastic.

Old 2012-11-29, 7:09pm

Default Prescription Boro Glasses

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Lots for me to think about.
I like Shari's idea about getting a pair of inexpensive smaller glass made just for torching to fit under...that might be the most economical solution for me.

Suzanne
Old 2012-11-30, 12:51pm

getting the lite pair with just my reading Prescription is the way i when too the only other tip i can give you is get a new Prescription and then order from one of the on line places like zenni where you can get a pair shipped for under $20 they don't need to be fancy your wearing the other over anyway. The number size system can be confusing so you can try on eyeglass at the eye Dr. office and the just write down the size number and make sure you get your Pupillary Distance.

http://www.zennioptical.com/

good luck
Old 2012-11-30, 3:56pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

I stack my glasses... my prescription changes often, my lenses are disgustingly expensive for progressives. MNy solution is to have smaller frames on my regular glasses and just deal with it. But if your eye sight is stable its probably worth it

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2013-06-18, 9:51pm

Hi Leslie,

I was wondering where you got your Optix glasses. I wear progressives and have a pair of dididiums that are good for soft glass and clear boro. They are called White Pro Safety Glasses - SB Lens and I love them for soft glass, but I don't think they are shaded enough to be doing a lot of boro.

Thanks lots - Di

Old 2013-06-19, 5:21am

I originally purchased them at Walgreen's but I don't think that they carry them any more but might be worth checking. Albertson's also had them.

I just Googled and Amazon has them. Wow! They have gone up in price but still worth every penny. I've been using the same pair for years.

Old 2013-06-19, 7:08am
Marble Lover

Although this is a revived thread, I'll toss my experience in here.

I had some extra Flex $$$ I had to spend by the end of the year (or lose it) and it had to be on something "medical". So, I ordered a pair of prescription boro glasses from Phillips.

30 days later, I called them to get an update on my order. It was apparent by the way the account rep on the phone acted they had forgotten about my order and never made them. He promised they would be made that day and shipped that day, with a notification to me that they had shipped.

Two days later, I called again since I hadn't received any notification. It was again apparent that the glasses hadn't been made. The promise was made that they would go out the next day, which they did, and they were overnighted.

I was pleasant on the phone, they were pleasant on the phone, there were no hard feelings. I wasn't in any kind of hurry and just happy that they got made and sent.

When I received them, they were wrong. The prescription was correct, but where they center the "pupil" on the lens was WAAAAY off, as in the corner on one of the lenses. I took them to my eye doctor to make sure A) I provided Phillips with the right info and B) I wasn't just crazy.

My eye doc put them on a machine that verified the prescription and also that the pupil on that lens was way off, like I thought. They looked at my order I submitted and verified that I gave Phillips the correct info.

I called Phillips and they made me a new pair with no hassle at all. They sent me the new one, I sent back the old one ( they paid shipping ) and all was well.

After all that just to get them, I don't like wearing them. Unlike a poster above, mine aren't large, they actually look great - like a decent pair of sunglasses. What I don't like is that they're dark enough that it's hard to determine the color of glass, and if I lift them up to get an unfiltered look at the glass, I can't see because I just removed my glasses.

The solutions to this are:
1) Pre-select my glass I'm going to use for projects
2) Get better lighting at my workspace

Right now I just mainly diddle around and pick glass as I go. As I get more serious, I'll be better at beating #1 above.

My workspace is my garage and I need to decide if it's temporary or not. If it's not, then I need to add ventilation and good lighting.

So, my issues are surmountable. But, I'd rather just have a pair that slip on over my regular glasses, clip on, or that I can just wear with contacts. I have a pair for soft glass that go over my glasses and they work fine and don't bother me.

As for Phillips, I would use them again if I were getting another pair. They were decent to work with, just a little unorganized with my order.

-BEP
Old 2013-06-19, 7:34am

My wife and I both wear progressives, she also has reading glasses and tried them for lampworking but found them to short sighted so she had the doc write her a scrip for the normal distance she works at as it was between the reading distance and the middle distance in her progressive lenses. This is working well. We do still use slip on diddyies but I wanted to pass on what she has done to get a perfect scrip for lampworking

#C-151
Old 2013-06-19, 11:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Woman View Post
I originally purchased them at Walgreen's but I don't think that they carry them any more but might be worth checking. Albertson's also had them.

I just Googled and Amazon has them. Wow! They have gone up in price but still worth every penny. I've been using the same pair for years.
Thanks Leslie, I'll check Amazon.

Old 2013-06-19, 11:57am

Thanks for sharing your experience Brian. This is really helpful. I have been considering the Phillips avenue.