LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-07-10, 6:11am

Default Anyone in an apartment?...SHOW ME SHOW ME...

we are downsizing and moving to an apartment during transition...wondering how and if it is possible to torch there...i'd love to see or hear some ideas...

thanks...

One bead at a time...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--
--
Old 2010-07-10, 6:56am
Gentleman of Leisure

Probably what you do not want to hear is... Will management allow you to have a open torch in apartment... Will management allow storage of propane tank outside... In some areas of California its even illegal to have a gas or charcoal BBQ on anything above first floor balcony if balcony are made of wood, you need to check for any such restrictions in your area...... Can you effectively setup some ventilation without damaging structure... Have you given consideration to the fact IF you have some some sort of accident or fire involving torch how it will effect others in apartment building... Even a small fire in your apartment may displace people living in apartments around (on each side, above, below) yours ....

Just some things to consider...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-07-10, 1:20pm

thanks for your reply dale...those reasons are EXACTLY why i am NOT going to set up my studio in the apartment...the risk is too great and i don't think i could "legally" anyway...i just thought that maybe someone had some crazy setup that could possibly work...

well...looks like i will be giving up my studio for the next year...i'll be looking for a place where i can torch or set up my studio...

i appreciate your input...i guess i already knew the answers...

One bead at a time...

--
--
--
Old 2010-07-10, 1:22pm

I torch at a great studio if you're in Maryland. It's a great set-up with really friendly regulars.....
Old 2010-07-11, 11:57am
Pyro Tyro

I used a HH w/ one pound tanks in my apartment kitchen. I attached it to my kitchen counter, opened the kitchen door (to the outside) had multiple fans blowing. It worked for me (I only torched a couple of times a week and 4 hours max(life of a 1lb tank) )

Good luck.

- Jill
finishing studio any
day now.

Old 2010-07-11, 2:59pm
birdergirl ~o~

My studio gas line ( hard plumbed ) through the wall goes to a hub where a line comes off it to serve my cookstove. There is an second turnoff on the tank side of the hub, but if I turned either that or the tank off = no gas to the stove. I'd appreciate comments on this situation!
~thanks~
Also thanks for the note about cranking down the regulator ~ I'll have to start doing that.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2010-07-11, 6:49pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
My studio gas line ( hard plumbed ) through the wall goes to a hub where a line comes off it to serve my cookstove. There is an second turnoff on the tank side of the hub, but if I turned either that or the tank off = no gas to the stove. I'd appreciate comments on this situation!
~thanks~
Also thanks for the note about cranking down the regulator ~ I'll have to start doing that.
IS there a shutoff on end of metallic line going to studio?.... IF so it should be off when not in use. It's probably the best you can do in this situation...

Alternative would be moving "hub" outside and have a separate shutoff for torch line and one going to gas stove....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal