Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-08-22, 10:22am
Smile, it's contagious!

Question Can you identify this trans purple?

Can you identify the mystery transparent purple?

It looks black in rod form unless you hold it up to let light through... it is a totally yummy grape koolaid color. I only have 1 & 1/2 rods left and neither are marked.

I have it shown with all of my trans ink blues and trans purples. It's not even close to any of those. It isn't red-purple like my purples and it isn't blue-purple like the ink blues... it is totally purple-purple.

Now, my camera HATES purples for some reason... it always makes it more blue than what it should be, so I tried to edit the colors to best show the true shades... which made the exposure look off. These were taken outside.

Help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2010-08-22, 10:23am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

nom nom - that looks lickable!!!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-08-22, 10:24am
Smile, it's contagious!

It is lickable. It tastes just like grape koolaid too.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2010-08-22, 10:26am
Flaming Redhead!

I got some Moretti ET-045 Purple Blue that looks just like that...

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2010-08-22, 10:28am
maybe tomorrow

Is it Effetre 039 or 041?

Violet Dark Premium or Violet Light Premium?

Old 2010-08-22, 10:33am
Smile, it's contagious!

From Frantz:
Violet Dark Premium Trans 039

Blue Purple Premium Trans 045

Neither look like mine, but maybe they have a hard time photo'ing purples too?

Old 2010-08-22, 10:36am
Flaming Redhead!

Based on what I'm seeing in your 2nd pic I'd say my Purple Blue looks just like your mystery glass...and it is a purple purple...what I call royal or grape purple (though I know my descriptions aren't necessarily like every one else)

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2010-08-22, 10:38am
Flaming Redhead!

I should add one thing though...I fell in love with this colour last year when I got some from Arrow Springs...I went back this past May for more and sadly, they only had a few rods from last year and the new rods weren't quite the same. Not as purple as before, and more like the 044.

- John Keats
Old 2010-08-22, 10:41am
Smile, it's contagious!

I guess I'm gonna have to buy 039 & 045 and see what's what. If they are both close to this color, I know I'll love it.

Alex, grape and royal purple both describe this color perfectly.

Old 2010-08-22, 10:43am
Smile, it's contagious!

eww... I have plenty of 044. Not really that thrilled with it, it's too red.

Old 2010-08-22, 10:57am
Entropy increasing....

I think I have some of that. When I go out to the shop I'll check and see if it's labeled. It could very well not be and thus will remain a mystery.

Is it Italian?
Old 2010-08-22, 11:10am
Smile, it's contagious!

I can't tell from his accent... and he isn't labeled, so I really don't know if he is Italian or not.

Old 2010-08-22, 11:12am
Wendy

It looks like the 2 rods I have and they're labeled Transparent Violet Dark Premium.

I'll add that mine looks nothing like that paddle that Frantz shows on their site. The rod is just as you described... black until you hold it up to the light.

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me

Last edited by Bluejeangirlnc; 2010-08-22 at 11:14am. Reason: added details
Old 2010-08-22, 11:23am
Smile, it's contagious!

From looking at Miriam's color chart, I still can't decide if it is 039 or 045. On her chart, the 039 looks a bit bluer than mine and the 045 looks a bit redder.

I think it's closer to 039 but I think I'm still gonna order both to be sure.

Old 2010-08-22, 11:25am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelly View Post
I can't tell from his accent... and he isn't labeled, so I really don't know if he is Italian or not.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-08-22, 11:40am
Lampworkaholic!

Looks like my 045 hand pulled. CiM Simply Berry is also a candidate.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-08-22, 11:51am

Looks like the Effetre 031 we have in the shop.

If you've purchased any Lauscha glass though, it looks like their transparent purple too.
301-770-7666

The #1 Lampworking Source for the Mid-Atlantic!
Old 2010-08-22, 11:55am
Lauscha Lady

It looks like Lauscha transp dark Purple to me. /g

Old 2010-08-22, 11:59am
Smile, it's contagious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace edwards View Post
It looks like Lauscha transp dark Purple to me. /g
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccentsGlassworks View Post

If you've purchased any Lauscha glass though, it looks like their transparent purple too.
I know I didn't buy any Lauscha purple... but I have been gifted rods so these could be Lauscha. This doesn't feel different than effetre... would I be able to tell any difference in working it if it were Lauscha purple? I'm on a HH.

Isn't 031 green?

Old 2010-08-22, 12:19pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Looks like my 045 hand pulled. CiM Simply Berry is also a candidate.
That's what I was thinking about the CIM.

Speak Chinese to it and see if it responds, Gelly.
Old 2010-08-22, 12:29pm
Smile, it's contagious!

I'll have to order Rosetta Stone first.

Old 2010-08-22, 12:34pm
Entropy increasing....

Kung Pao Gai
Old 2010-08-22, 1:05pm
fritaholic

Looks just like my Effetre 039. It is a gorgeous purple.

Lisa
Old 2010-08-22, 1:22pm

Gelly, I'm totally agree with Kimberly, it's dark violet trans. I've just bought one and it looks exactly purple purple
Old 2010-08-22, 1:53pm

FWIW those premium Effetre ink purples are (or used to be?) smaller batches that may vary more.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2010-08-22, 2:14pm
It's all about the color.

I'm also going to agree with Kimberly. Try just a wee bit as frit on white and keep it in the heat for a couple minutes - enough time to let it spread if it's going to - it looks kind like a halo. It's one of the few Effetre purples that will.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Last edited by Listenup; 2010-08-22 at 3:02pm.
Old 2010-08-22, 2:25pm
Biscuit Lover

Great. Now I'm hungry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Kung Pao Gai
Old 2010-08-22, 3:43pm

Ok, that was a fatfinger error - 041....

Figured out the color yet?

Quote:

301-770-7666

The #1 Lampworking Source for the Mid-Atlantic!
Old 2010-08-22, 4:06pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Quote:
Ok, that was a fatfinger error - 041....

Figured out the color yet?
Damn fatfingers!!

I guess I wont really know what it is until I order some to compare to. I'm sure it's gotta be 039 or 045. I'll update this thread when I figure it out though.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Old 2010-08-22, 5:03pm
And silence is golden

Lauscha Dark Violet 608