No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-23, 1:56pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Default Another mapp pro or torch issue

How long is normal for the mapp pro to flow before freezing up? I don't know if maybe I'm working longer on each bead or not taking as many breaks, but I don't think so. This can of gas keeps fluttering like right before a can runs out empty, shuts off, but it's not empty. It was quite full several times. I haven't been running it that long that it should be that hot/cold. It will start right back up if I light it.

I switched torches. same thing.

Also, how do I know when it is time to clean the HH? How many hours?

Could having the 1#tank leaning a bit effect the running? I did bend the bracket a little more.

Also, how long does a mapp pro can last? I was told 4-6 hours, but I'm not sure that's what I'm getting.

thanks, again
Namaste
Rowyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2tumblingdragonz; 2011-03-23 at 1:57pm. Reason: add text
Old 2011-03-23, 3:18pm

Somewhere on this forum, someone did a tutorial or a tip showing how they designed a reservoir they filled with water for the MAPP/Pro canister to sit in. It keeps it from condensating quit as quickly. Maybe your search results will be more successful than mine, but I couldn't find it.

I wouldn't think the tank leaning some would effect it. My canister attaches to my table at an angle. Don't know if I've helped you any, Rowyn, but it's a common issue to deal with.

Old 2011-03-23, 7:59pm
Triumphantly Knit!

thanks Rachel, I have read that and couldn't find it either but I think it's in a book I have...I can find it if I take the time. I keep wondering though, how do you sit with a thing of water between your legs and reach the torch, makes me laugh thinking about it. This may be where my short legs present a challenge. I have to wear a certain pair of sneakers just so my feet touch the floor. thanks for reminding me I will look for that, I think this is a wacky cannister, I seem to have had a couple that make my day interesting.
angel blessings
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Old 2011-03-24, 12:48pm
Oinky Oink!

HI Rowyn,
I was also so frustrated with those 1lb tanks keep fizzling out after 15-20 min or so of usage, I switched to bulk tank. But what I used to do is have 2 or more bottles and rotated. As one is getting too cold, just switch to another bottle and let the first rest and build more pressure.. But it is still pain in the neck to switch bottles in the middle of a project.
Anyhow, I also had mine tilted a little, I don't think that interfered in my case.
And as the bottle gets low in fuel, that's a good time to make your stringers....
Good Luck!
Christy
Old 2011-03-24, 7:09pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Thanks Christy, that's exactly what I do, when the gas is low I make stringers!
I do rotate between 2 torches and 2 cans of gas. This one just seems to be quitting on me sooner, I'll see when I start a new bottle. I had run out of gas for the first time since starting in December. I only had the one can so I was super frustrated, normally I have a second one waiting with the torch on it already to go.
Angel blessings
Rowyn

Old 2011-03-24, 8:46pm

Default Gas time

Hi Rowan!
When I started selling beads, in an effort to figure out how much gas added to the cost of a bead, I timed several bottles of MAPP gas. I used the stop watch on my phone every time I lit and extinguished the torch. It was putzy, but very informative. I had been told a 1# (or 14 ounce) bottle would last approximately 5 hours--not! I timed four bottles and never got over 3 hours of torch time. Every one of the bottles gave me 2 hours and 50-some minutes. At least they were consistent! But at $8 a bottle, gas was a major cost in making beads. Hence, when the opportunity to purchase a used torch setup came along, I decided to make the switch to an oxycon torch. There are some things I miss about the HH, but the cost of MAPP gas was outrageous. I did try propane with the HH, but the beads came out gray, dull, just plain icky. Whatever you do, please be safe--there are lots of great safety threads on LE. I didn't ever time how long it took a bottle to get frosty, but I'd guess 20 to 30 minutes and it would be enough to affect the function of the torch head. When switching tanks, I found it useful to weigh the bottles. The empty bottle weighed almost exactly one pound, so I would weigh them as I used them to help determine how much gas was left in each. I hope this was helpful! Karen
PS I found an angel wing press from Bavarian Beads--it's being shipped, so I'll be excited to try it out! If anything turns out decent, I'll post them! Keep up the good vibes!
Old 2011-03-25, 3:54pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Thank you Karen, and thank for the good vibes, made me smile. I cannot wait to see your angel beads or at least beads made with the press, after this post I'm going to look at that site.
You have alot of great ideas, thank you for sharing them. I actually did go to get my stop watch one day but the battery was dead. didn't think of my phone, I just haven't graduated to the tech age, yet.
Weighing the cans, what a great idea and pita!!! These cans are becoming a royal pima. Tomorrow is haz. waste disposal day here. I have over 12 empty cans.
I can't have bulk gas, here, frustrating, but it is what I have for now.
I so appreciate when someone takes the time to answer my posts and I don't always thank each time, I don't like to bump my own stuff, but I have just been blown away by the kindness of each of you, and if I haven't named you, please know I am thankful, just either tired or overwhelmed.
Or I get to this point and forget what I was going to say to whom...
thank you everyone, that irksome tank finally is empty, now let's see what the next one brings.
Namaste
Rowyn

Old 2011-03-27, 8:57pm
Pyro Tyro

When I was using a HH, I too had the same problem! Very frustrating.

A very kind lampworker here who made elaborate beads w/ her HH shared w/
me how she was able to work more than 15 minutes. I followed her instructions
and it was great.

My HH was attached to my counter in the kitchen. Directly under the 1# tank, I
had a little table that held a warm water bath for the tank. It was a drink
dispenser that I got at Bed Bath & Beyond (2 gallon or so w/ a little spigot). The
tank was submerged partway into the warm water. I added warm water as I
went (warm, not hot). Worked very well!

Good luck.

- Jill