LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2010-04-19, 11:28am
I speak Murrini!

OK Theresa...but if I were you, I'd do the hard pipe thing! I can't reiterate enough that the "sleeve" thing just isn't truly safe.

And as far as your local inspection supervisor is concerned, I'm afraid I'd have to say, in my best Donald Trump voice, "YOU'RE FIRED"!!!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-04-19, 2:56pm
Melting

If I do the metal piping, I have a question about it. I have the "hose set" on this page:
http://arrowsprings.com/html/torch_accessories.html
Can I use that to connect the metal piping to my torch without cutting the hose? I also have the bulk HH hose - can I use that one to connect the metal piping to my tank outside without cutting? I just don't feel safe cutting the hose and clamping it with the metal clamps; I feel better when it screws right on.
To be honest, I was really surprised when he said that was legal. I was sure it couldn't be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2010-04-20, 11:33am
I speak Murrini!

Theresa, I wouldn't recommend using any other hose that will be used for GAS other than "T-Grade" Red Welding Hose. I realize the Bulk Hose for Mapp/Propane for Hot Heads is actually black, but if you're gonna invest in doing the piping thing, it's worth it to do it right!

De

Old 2010-04-20, 11:53am
Melting

De, the hose set I have is T-grade red (the propane line). I am not sure if the HH hose is so better safe than sorry. Where do I get just plain T-grade hosing? Do they sell that at HD? I always just bought whatever specifically said worked for my torches so I am clueless as to where to get the plain old tubing without connectors! lol Once I get my piping built I guess I'll just see if my hose set will screw on since I know it is safe; if not I'll use more T-grade hosing for that.

Also, I read in another thread where it was posted that it is a national law not to use the sleeve - wow, I am shocked that building supervisor told me it was legal!! I'm definitely not doing that...lol

Thanks

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2010-04-20, 3:50pm
Alaska Boro

Default Hose

"T" grade hose can be purchased at any number of welding supply houses. Sometimes you have to purchase it paired with the oxygen hose. Other times it can be had by itself. Home Depot and Lowes generally do not carry the higher rated hose for welding applications.
Old 2010-04-20, 3:55pm
Melting

Thanks Alaska!

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2010-05-01, 12:54pm
Favorite color is shiny

Awwww De, thanks thanks thanks, I think this was the easiest part of my whole Shedio project. Like others, I took my pics,info to Home Depot first and well, I dunno found a few things. THEN skipped over to Lowe's and *poof voila* there it was... all of it.. just layed out for me to grab and go. Again, thanks for posting this info helped me tremendously. Now to assemble...whew* your pics will help.

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE
Old 2010-05-01, 1:46pm
I speak Murrini!

You're welcome Lynn! And don't forget to test all connections! I know I have it multiple times, in BOLD RED LETTERS in the Tutorial, but I just can't stress this enough! It's a PITA to have to bother with...and a most vital and important last little detail. But, of course, well worth it!

De

Old 2010-05-02, 9:41am
Favorite color is shiny

Oh, I'll make sure I do the test...that's the one thing I'm a bit scared of.

Quick question. I'm assembling the pieces...from looking at your pic these bushings and barb adapters do not completely screw together? I see visible threads on each in the pics and I don't want to continue trying to turn something that won't.

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE

Last edited by Seasoned Soul; 2010-05-02 at 12:00pm.
Old 2010-05-02, 12:13pm
I speak Murrini!

Because of the length of the barbs as well as the depth of the receiving sockets they fit into, there may be some "left over" exposure. If you use the appropriate gas-grade tape, then test and see no bubbles, your connection should be just fine and no need to push it beyond that point.

Best of luck to you; let us know how it goes, ok?

De

Old 2010-05-03, 10:42pm

These are nice pictures seems like a exhibition for the plumber showing the spare parts for plumbing....

Old 2010-05-04, 8:24am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
These are nice pictures seems like a exhibition for the plumber showing the spare parts for plumbing....
Yes...and no "Butt Crack" (Sorry...feeling very silly this a.m.!!!)

Welcome to LE Morgan!

Old 2010-05-04, 12:39pm
Pyro Tyro

Thanks so much for this cool tutorial De! The pics are excellent. I've just printed the thread.

I have finally gotten the go ahead to create my work space (ie the insurance company said we're covered if there are any mishaps!)! In my own space, I have only worked w/ a HH and am now upgrading to a Cricket So this will be the first time I need to deal w/ a propane tank. Would someone please show pics of the connection to the propane tank? I'm a wee bit unclear what that would look like, as well as how the flashback and regulator fit into the picture (I did look at the pics in post 24).

Sorry to be dense, but pictures are worth a thousand words!

Thanks!

- Jill
soon to be
Cricket user!!

Old 2010-05-04, 12:56pm
I speak Murrini!

Jill~

I think someone else posted pics of their propane connection in another thread; lemme check and I'll link it here if I can find it, okie?

Old 2010-05-04, 1:00pm
I speak Murrini!

OK Jill...here it is - second, third and fourth pictures down in Post #1 by Gham: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=157517

De

Old 2010-05-04, 2:21pm
Pyro Tyro

Thank you De!!!! (and Gham!)

Jill

Old 2010-08-28, 2:20pm

OK, bought all the black pipe, shut off's, want to put fixed regulator outside and adjustable one inside. What do I use to attach regulator to black pipe inside?
Old 2010-08-28, 5:11pm
I speak Murrini!

Inky...I dunno. Hope Dale or someone else familiar with this will pop in and give advice!!!

If you don't see an appropriate posting soon, trying PMing DaleM. directly - maybe inviting him into this thread to post his advice? That way, it can be here as reference for anyone else who may have a similar question.

You can PM Dale here through his user profile:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/member.php?u=101

Hope you get your answer soon!

Old 2010-08-28, 5:30pm

Thanks DeAnne for all you put into this thread. I will ask Dale to take a look, he has also always been most helpful. I will have more questions I'm sure, but as I type, the holes are being drilled and the black pipe threaded through.
Old 2010-08-29, 6:46am

I found the answer, at least I think I did. Found "Interior Propane Reg Hookup...How to Conect" thread...Thanks Dale for your input there!
Old 2010-08-29, 2:01pm
Alaska Boro

Looked into the dual regulators idea and found out that one can not have propane pressures in excess of 10 psi in a home studio. And according to the propane supply folks a single acetylene welding gas regulator is superior to an on tank propane regulator for the needed torch 5 psi.

The overall plan is to place the acetylene regulator directly on the outside tank. Then use black pipe with a valve on each end for entrance into the studio. A short piece of flex will be used between the regulator out side and the black pipe for easy removal for tank filling.
Old 2010-09-08, 8:51am

Thank you! It is time for me to make improvements and this is what I was looking for

Old 2011-04-19, 9:14am
Salt Box Beads

**Bump**
Old 2011-05-09, 12:42pm
Addicted to Melting Glass

Thanks for this, DeAnne! Your shopping list saved me a lot of work at Lowe's. I did the bulk of the plumbing job yesterday to run my gas in from outside, and am waiting on a few more connectors to split the gas line (have a 2nd torch) and to put my flashback arrestors inline before I'm done. I'll be ready for testing when that's done.

Old 2011-05-24, 12:28am
picking Job's Tears

De,

thanks for the "gas plumbing tape" reference, that was the "one more thing" (bit of information) I was looking for.

Hope our HD has it if Ace (is closer, and in our HD women don't get service whereas at Ace I generally do) doesn't.

Thank you!
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2011-05-28, 4:56pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

De you are such a jewel and so helpful. Blessings on your head dear heart.
Old 2011-06-01, 9:58am

Am trying to follow your tutorial, but am running into walls from the county that I live in (Surry County, NC). They have never had this done "legally" before, and want an engineer's drawing, saying it is not approved by the AGA. Any suggestions to help me do this safely and legally? Has anyone in NC piped propane into their house as suggested that I could talk to?

Many, many thanks!
Old 2011-06-01, 10:17am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by maren View Post
De,

thanks for the "gas plumbing tape" reference, that was the "one more thing" (bit of information) I was looking for.

Hope our HD has it if Ace (is closer, and in our HD women don't get service whereas at Ace I generally do) doesn't.

Thank you!

I got parts and the gas tape at my local Lowes, if that helps.
Old 2011-06-01, 11:02am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28676bhe View Post
Am trying to follow your tutorial, but am running into walls from the county that I live in (Surry County, NC). They have never had this done "legally" before, and want an engineer's drawing, saying it is not approved by the AGA. Any suggestions to help me do this safely and legally? Has anyone in NC piped propane into their house as suggested that I could talk to?

Many, many thanks!

Best I can advise is to call you propane provider and let them find a plumber who will deal with the city/county. Other than that, go directly to a plumber. They know the codes and how to do it so it will pass city/county inspection. That is safer than you doing it yourself, especially if your studio is in the house.
Old 2011-06-01, 4:10pm

I have called the propane provider, and he met with 3 building inspectors in our county. I have a feeling that they have never done this before, and are going to need some education and convincing before they approve it. If any other counties in NC have approved a set up, I would really appreciate the information!