Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2005-11-07, 9:34am

Unhappy Boro lentil bead question

Hello, I've seen some people make boro lentil beads and last night I made my first. (I've never used any of my bead presses with boro before) Everything seemed to be going fine until I openned my kiln this morning and they were all broken. I'm not sure why this would have happened. One thing I did notice is that the color combination I was using (Onxy background, Carimel Luster and Silver Strike 5 frit, encased in clear) seemed to shock easily even when I was making normal round beads. Can different colors, even if they are all the same COE, cool at different rates? Any insight into this would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks,
Barbie

PS: It must be something other than the press because almost all the round bead using that same color combination broke.

Last edited by barbiesbeads; 2005-11-07 at 10:27am. Reason: More info
Old 2005-11-07, 8:55pm

Barbie,

Are ya sure all colors/clear were boro? It shouldn't be shocky at all. Just a thought.

Flame on!

Marilyn
Old 2005-11-08, 9:36pm
Save the Numbats

Some colors are just weird.
I don't make a lot of mandrel beads, but I remember having certain base colors always be problematic last year when I was experimenting - onyx was one of them. I never had a problem with Onyx and other methods, but my mandrel beads with that in the middle would crack in half... Other people might have made sucessful onyx based mandrel beads... anyone?
Old 2005-11-09, 10:57am

Thanks for everyones suggestions. I'm thinking it must have been the onxy. I used the same frit and encased it with a different core color and I didn't have any problem. I'm always really careful not to mix my different COE's, but I did start to wonder because I've never had this problem before. Thanks again you are all great!
Barbie
Old 2005-11-11, 12:24pm

What was shocky about it? Hard glass doesn't normally shock in the flame.
On rare occasions I have had an already used rod act shocky when it first is introduced in the flame but just the tip that had supercooled from use.

Could you have had Crackberry instead?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2005-11-11, 12:41pm
ManBearPig

What temperature were you annealing them at? And for how long?

Boro is usually pretty forgiving, so I'm wondering if maybe it's something in the way you work them that is causing the cracking...