Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-12-26, 11:59am

Default The retro bead liner tool

I have this tool and I like it...I got the extra 1/4 inch die.

I would not say that this tool is a one step process.

And here is another tip...I would make the area of the bead around the hole
flat or straignt...not the usual curve at the hole that you usually would make with your beads.

Some of the larger beads might require some dapping tools after you have put the core in.

Also the hole must fit the TUBE TIGHTLY...too much wiggle room and the tubing might bend inside the bead.

this can be over come if you put a filler inside the hole... (like goop)
it will hold your tubing tight with some minor flexibility.

A 1/4 inch mandrel...( the die for that is extra...not included) is heavy...
I personally would prefer that they be hollow.
Also you can get these cheaper at a hobby store that sells model train supplies... about $3 each instead of $9 from the suppliers.
Mona Gollan told me about this
ok
aside from that

make sure your bead release is very thin....and make sure you get 1/4 inch OD not ID...you want the outside diameter of your tubing to be 1/4 inch.
OH and get the soft...I think that is it...I think copper tubing does come in soft... the 5/32nds is the easiest to manage in general.
The reason I say a flat side on the bead is that small variations will have no bearing on the flare.

Do you have anything that will help you make a clean cut on the tubing...tubing cutters like you get at the hardware store make the hole curve IN....you will have to open that up etc...

but if you use a jeweler's saw and cut it your tubing will retain your original diameter after cutting...you still need files etc to clean it up.

I have one and I like it...I have versatility in bead hole size...
it isn't quite as easy as you might think and I don't think the video gives you all you need to know...it tells you how to operate the device but no tips about the tubing, cutting it, finishing it...etc...

Beads galore at my ebay store!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Minor with a REGALIA heavenly!

Last edited by !ngridh; 2008-12-26 at 12:01pm. Reason: error
Old 2008-12-26, 6:45pm
FatCat Mama

Ingridh, Dave has a Deburring Tool that works very well to clean up the tube after you cut it. It's at the top of this page.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2008-12-29, 2:47am

Hi Ingridh,

I don't understand why for you don't find it a one step process. For me it is, as soon as the tube is cut and "filed".

If I recall correctly, the DVD shows how to cut the silver tube with a tube cutter. And since it does make the hole curve in, I have used a tip I've found at Rio grande to polish silver and set it on my dremel (in their tools and equipement catalogue). Then the hole problem is fixed in seconds.

My only problem was that I've found it hard on my hands when I have a lot of beads to line. So I've emailed Jerry and he has found a way to fix that for me.

Now, there are so many different pieces of equipement available to silver line beads, that if I had to choose one today, I don't know how I will make my decision without trying them all... LOL!

All I can say is that the retro liner works for me really well. I like the way my beads looks when they are silver lined with this tool.