The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-03-11, 5:09am
Tonbodama Murrini maker

Default How to make these

HI Everybody,

I would really love to learn how to make these beads:

I know how the inside part is done. Thats like the encased triangle beads, but the outside part is not working that well for me. Tried different things but seem to be doing something wrong. ( with the encasing i guess)

The beads are made by Carlee she is a german lampworker. And love her color combo's

Who can make a simple tut about how this is done.

Thanks Chrissy
Old 2008-03-11, 6:24am
Tonbodama Murrini maker

I have seen someone here do it also. But can't seem to find the thread. She did it with a holow bead.

I just thought, maybe there are more lampworkers out there who would like to know how it is done.

Perhaps i will try tocontact the maker of these beads.

Thanks
chrissy
Old 2008-03-11, 6:34am

They are gorgeous !
Anne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-03-11, 6:51am
Torchabilitizimator.....

you could start here then add your own little flair the underside looks to be layered melted pulled then poked encased then you can do the below but right atthe ends near the mandrel...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=triangle+bead
hope this helps
c-ya!

Old 2008-03-11, 6:57pm
I speak Murrini!

Hi Chrissy!

(Eeekkk!!! I just remembered I owe you a PM...forthcoming shortly, promise!)

Regarding the technique on the outside of these beads, the person who did it on the Hollow Beads is Genea - here's the link to the thread she posted them in; maybe she will tell you (and all of us !) how they're done? Although it might be secret, too, which I respect!

Here you go - if she is willing to share (with us all?) maybe she could post in this thread, too!

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...accomplishment

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-03-11, 7:38pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

Man those are stunning beads!

I don't have an answer but I'm gonna try to make one as follows.

A triangle bead but....

when I wrap the clear around to encase, I won't melt it all the way to the holes. Just when the clear gets to the outside tangent, going toward the hole, I'm gonna add more clear onto the clear (not onto the base) and add layered dots before finishing the melting for the encasement.

We'll see how it goes.

Mona

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2008-03-11, 10:30pm
Glass-aholic

I am thinking that they are just dots on the outside very close to the mandrel played with very similar to the first linked tutorial. I am not sure if these beads are very heavily encased or hollow. Good luck! They are beautiful beads!!

(this is the link to the tut)

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-03-12, 10:00am
MonaRAEbeads.com

Well, I tried it but my bead release broke as I was puting on the clear, but I kept trying. Then it took forever to melt and kept getting more and more sooty. I finally ran out of patience and dunked it.

However, my idea was working. The problem I encountered is that if you heat the center after adding the surface dots to the outside wraps of clear, it will draw the dots toward the center, obscuring the triangles underneath.

I think that if I ever get a mixed fuel torch I'll try again, and I'll do the ends one side at a time.

Thanks for asking your question though; I wouldn't have otherwise seen these fab beads!

Mona

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2008-03-12, 3:33pm
Torchabilitizimator.....

I talked Carlee and here's the scoop there will be a tutorial in a few weeks in glass line on that particular bead so we will just have to keep on trying until the tute comes out....until then go get your subscriptions to Glassline renewed!!! hehe! Then you can keep your eyes peeled and your torches ready.

Old 2008-03-12, 3:39pm
Tonbodama Murrini maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaColligan View Post
I talked Carlee and here's the scoop there will be a tutorial in a few weeks in glass line on that particular bead so we will just have to keep on trying until the tute comes out....until then go get your subscriptions to Glassline renewed!!! hehe! Then you can keep your eyes peeled and your torches ready.

Thanks for your information!!, Will get myself a subcription to glassline
Old 2008-03-20, 9:38am
Molten Glass Addict

wow, those are awesome!

< me in my younger days

< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie

Old 2008-03-20, 10:03am
Design Diva

subbing
Old 2008-03-22, 8:36am

Default Here is my try

Sorry for the blurry pics...just wanted to show a quick pic of 2 test beads.
I did the outer layer the way I do my other beads with the dots stretched to the holes.
Amy Trescott gave some help on the technique a while back.
Add dots to the shoulders of the bead, melt in, case them and melt them in.
Continue adding dots and working towards the bead hole.
I do like the look of this bead with out the outer dots cased too! They just don't get pulled down to the mandrel but look nice...no picture of them without casing but if I make some today I'll leave off that step and post some pics of the two different looks.
Hope this helps. I'm looking forward to getting the next issue of glassline also. They always have great information.
Darlene

Old 2008-03-22, 8:56am
Glass-aholic

those came out great!!!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-03-22, 11:06am

Darlene, that is exatly how I did it last night after reading this thread!!! After encasing the base bead, I left it more donut shape until I encased the outer dots, then I heated it down to round. Sorry no picks - hubby has the camera on his trip - but will post later. Great beads BTW. Love the colors.
Old 2008-03-25, 7:21am
Molten Glass Addict

great job Darlene!!

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2008-03-29, 4:00pm
Outrigger Captain!

I have this one on Etsy right now:

I just did layered dots on the ends of an encased bead.
Carlee's are so crisp! I want to PPP more with these, they're fun to make.

Old 2008-03-29, 5:13pm

Do these beads have a name? If it's been listed I missed it.

Thanks!!!

Warmly, Marie C
Old 2008-03-29, 6:09pm
Outrigger Captain!

If you mean mine it is called Summer of Love.

Old 2008-03-29, 8:35pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

Fireglassgirl, your signature bead is brilliant! Love it!

Mona

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2008-04-13, 3:10pm

could be just having a senior moment but i'm not understanding how you make the dots pull toward the mandrel and look like petals..

Old 2008-04-14, 10:03am

I've tried to get the dots to pull toward the mandrel and from the mandrel outward..no luck..i have make the triangle beads but can't figure this out, HELP PLEASE, I love the look!!!!!!

Old 2008-04-15, 12:09pm

Darlene and Fireglassgirl love your beads, I am with rverk47,
CJ
Old 2008-04-15, 12:29pm

Carolyn I want to know how to do the silver caps on the beads
Old 2008-04-15, 12:54pm
Outrigger Captain!

I just realized I've missed the nice compliments on this thread! Sorry to vanish like that, I had a show and taxes to do. Thanks to all of you!

Char,
I make the caps. I texture sheet silver, cut the disks, then punch a hole, and shape it to the bead.

Old 2008-04-15, 1:55pm

Thanks you guys....I haven't had much computer time this week but maybe I can give some quick help.
I accomplish the stretching of the dots 2 different ways.
1. I case just the dots, like collars on each side, and then melt down to the bead hole.
or
2. I case the entire bead then add collars and melt down to the bead hole.
The second way makes the entire bead larger and I usually make small beads so that they won't be heavy for ear rings. Trying to stay small does make it harder to accomplish the look especially if you have lots of layers.

Also, I made some with the bullseye glass I have and was able to get much crisper dots. I am limited to the color combinations because of my limited supply of bullseye.

When I get a chance I'll post a picture of the bullseye beads and you can see the difference. I like these beads made with both glasses though....I've got some really cute pairs to make small ear rings for my girls.

Darlene

Last edited by Darlene Balkcum; 2008-04-15 at 1:58pm. Reason: spelling correction
Old 2008-04-15, 4:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireglassgirl View Post
I just realized I've missed the nice compliments on this thread! Sorry to vanish like that, I had a show and taxes to do. Thanks to all of you!

Char,
I make the caps. I texture sheet silver, cut the disks, then punch a hole, and shape it to the bead.
Can you share something about the silver sheet, disks etc?? They are beautiful and add so much to your work.

I will be anxious to try and read some of the techniques on making these beads. They are gorgeous! Any idea how big a finished bead should be in order to get the details??

Anne

Old 2008-04-15, 7:05pm
Outrigger Captain!

I learned how to do the caps from the October 2002 Lapidary Journal article by Bronwen Heilman. She was really helpful to me when I couldn't find all the tools. I don't know if it is available online, but worth a look. I have learned more since then, and even though I would love one of the new tools to rivet bead caps, I really enjoy working with the silver to get exactly what I want. I probably spend too much time on each one, but I sure LOVE banging away and getting my frustrations out on the metal. Can't do that with glass, LOL.

To texture the silver, I use a rolling mill. How many girls are lucky enough to have a DH that buys them TOOLS for their birthday? One cool technique to texture it is to run lace through the rolling mill with sheet silver. I have also used texture plates, my friend gave them to me to try. They were brass, I think for polymer clay. There was a learning curve to running it through with enough pressure to make a good impression - takes some muscle too. But once you get a good press, it makes quite a few caps. If I don't like it, I anneal the silver and run it through on the other side, the bad side becomes flat again.

The investment in tools was around $300, not counting the rolling mill. Most are available through Rio Grande or Harbor Freight. See if you can find the article, Bronwen did a great job and was so generous to share her technique.

Old 2008-04-16, 4:07am
Molten Glass Addict

Hi everyone, I tried to open the below tut, no luck. So I tried a search too, no luck. Am I doing something wrong? Help!!

I made a practice one last night. I'm not very good at the inner bead portion, so I need to practice that. seriously practice it!! lol Is the center pattern being pulled out at both ends?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
I am thinking that they are just dots on the outside very close to the mandrel played with very similar to the first linked tutorial. I am not sure if these beads are very heavily encased or hollow. Good luck! They are beautiful beads!!

(this is the link to the tut)

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Last edited by Glasstastic Treasures; 2008-04-16 at 3:31pm.
Old 2008-04-16, 10:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasstastic Treasures View Post
Hi everyone, I tried to open the below tut, no luck. So I tried a search too, no luck. Am I doing something wrong? Help!!

I made a practice one last night. I'm not very good at the inner bead portion, so I need to practice that. seriously practice it!! lol Is the center pattern being pulled out at both ends?

Thanks!
Here you go: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=77471

Candy