No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-15, 3:35pm
Crispy Critter

Default How to Repair Oxycon Cord???

One of my dogs chewed up the power cord on my oxygen concentrator a while back. Electrical tape took care of it for a year, but no more. It got bent and now there's no connection.

Can anyone tell me how to repair this? The damaged part has plenty of good cord on both sides, so can I join them together somehow? Or do I need to go inside the machine and replace it there?

Of course this would happen before a show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-15, 3:48pm
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

What got bent?

I've seen repair kits at hardware stores to replace a messed up plug, and you could probably extend/splice a shortened cord with those heat-shrink connectors, but I would ask someone who knows what they are doing with electricity to look at it for me......I'm not very confident in that department.
Old 2011-01-15, 3:53pm
Crispy Critter

The damaged part that I'd taped was bent and apparently did more damage. The plug itself is okay.

Old 2011-01-15, 3:59pm

There are two ways that I can think of now. First is buy a plug from a hardware or home supply store. Cut the cord on the machine side of the damage. Strip back the wires and attach them to the replacement plug. Or the quick and dirty way. Cut the damaged part. Strip back the wires from both ends. Attach like wire to like wire from both side with wire nuts. Then tape the whole mess with lots of electrical tape.

If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.
Old 2011-01-15, 4:08pm
picking Job's Tears

(Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician, just a physicist)

You can do several things, two some immediately to mind (and if you're not comfortable dealing with it you may be able to find somebody in the family or neighborhood who is)

- cut the cord where it's damaged and put a new plug on there. You may need a heavy duty extension cord if it's too short. (I don't know how much current oxycons run so I can't tell you how heavy duty an extension cord you'd need, but you can get them at any hardware or big box store)

- cut the cord where it's damaged and cut the frayed bits off and put the ends back together (obviously make sure that the different wires can't make contact), twist the ends together and secure with electrical tape for a minimum.

HTH,
Maren
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2011-01-15, 4:19pm
Crispy Critter

Thanks, everyone, I appreciate the tips! I think there may even be some wire strippers in the tool box.

Old 2011-01-15, 4:24pm
Crispy Critter

OH! And wire nuts will solve another electrical problem...replacing my broken hard wired doorbell with a plug in type. Thanks again!

Last edited by chrisdd; 2011-01-17 at 9:07am.
Old 2011-01-15, 5:49pm
Borovangelist

Cords can be fairly easy to replace. Usually the tough part's figuring how to get in to disconnect the old one

If you don't need the extra length, the easiest way is like suggested, just snip it above the damage and put a new plug on.

|
|
Old 2011-01-15, 6:02pm

I would make sure to remove ALL the damaged cord.
You don't want any wires touching that shouldn't,
(see thread about explosion in bathroom.)

Back in my day, we had nine planets.
Old 2011-01-17, 9:07am
Crispy Critter

Woohoo! I'm in business! The oxycon is now humming along. And while I was at it I rewired my mixer (another dog attack victim.) Thanks for all the help!

Old 2011-01-17, 9:12am

Chris- I have 2 dogs myself, so this is just in fun- but have you ever thought of getting rid of the dog? He/she may be a mole for the hardware store...
Old 2011-01-17, 10:09am
Crispy Critter

LOL @ Kevin! No way, I love my destructive boy! BUT now he has to stay in his crate when I'm not home.