Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2010-06-19, 1:58pm

Default Image & folder management

What is the best system to use to name and save images for quickest identy and retrieval?
I download the new photos into a folder named masters. From that I open an image to edit. After editing, it is saved into a new folder named by type (ie pendant, earring, bracelet, etc.) An image may be edited and saved a couple of times, especially in different sizes.
Do you use numbers, dates, secret codes???!!
After a while, the thumbnails all begin to look alike. Thanks in advance, I appreciate any tips!
Diane
Old 2010-06-20, 6:09am
Sorry for party rockin'

I group my pictures by year, and within each year I have a subfolder for:
website
etsy
custom orders

I have a separate folder for my wholesale accounts, and a separate folder where I keep any unedited (large) originals for print, advertising, etc.

I don't ever "name" my pictures, but it helps me to keep them separated based on what I made the beads for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-06-21, 7:20am

I number my photos, with a number that matches an item number for the shopping cart.

I take the full size image and make a thumbnail using the suffix _tmb, so the original image might be 356.jpg with the thumbnail being 356_tmb.jpg.

Steve

Old 2010-06-27, 5:06pm

Thank you Ginnie, Thank you Steve. Both of you have beautiful sites and work!!
Old 2010-07-21, 12:06pm
Melting

I name mine according the name of the piece, then put a number beside it (because I take multiples of each piece). For instance, infinity1.jpg, infinity2.jpg, etc.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2010-08-02, 1:00pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Now that my image library is out of control.... 1000 something images, I use PICASA by GOOGLE to find/catalog what I want....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-08-28, 3:07am
picking Job's Tears

When I make different sizes of the same image I save it in the same folder (which here on my home PC is getting to be a pain as my camera downloads it by date and the editor insists on putting it into the last folder I used before), but I give them the same image name with the size appended, like <image name>_<size>.jpg. I have several sizes of some images. Color adjusted etc images are named <imagename>_<size>b.jpg (or c or whatever).
-
-
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2010-08-28, 4:53am
Unmedicated since '62

i code everything and then have a folder for code ranges - ie 0 to 999, 1000 to 1999 etc

i use Adobe Bridge so i have keywords on each image, necklace, bracelet etc

it works really well and i have over 100,000 images because i do freelance catalogue work for my BIL jewellery company

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy