Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2006-03-21, 3:39am
a pox upon an idiot :..

Default Are these the bulbs I need? I am just so done with pics....

Okay..... I have read everything I can possibly read about taking pics and have spent a good deal of money, and if I mentioned the time trying to get a decent pics, I would really look like an idiot. Here's the deal if anyone would be so kind as to help me.

I had a website made, but I need pics to go live, (I can not get a decent picture), I purchased a Coolpix L1, photo tent, use a tripod, used the lights that come with the kit, they don't help. So I read everything I can about white balance, depth of field, backgrounds, lighting, etc. I've tried sunlight and every possible mix between my camera and what instructions I've read, but I still have crappy pictures. I even got Photoshop when I already had Paint 8, just to follow the tuts that were given online to adjust the pictures.

My biggest problem is, that I need to photograph pieces that are just silver, pendants, earrings... and I can not get a good pic, they are grainy beyond belief and the color is so off. I am trying to learn Photoshop, but I'd rather learn how to take a decent picture first, and then tweek it.

Will these bulbs help? http://sell-it-on-the-net.com/online...ment_lamps.htm

Thanks in advance
Edie
Old 2006-03-21, 6:48am
ManBearPig

Bulbs aren't your problem. Camera settings most likely are. If you can, post an unedited photo so we can see it. If you don't edit it, I can look at the EXIF data (the information about camera settings) and make some suggestions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-03-21, 9:24pm

Chad, thanks for the offer, but I deleted all the images from my memory card, there wasn't even one worth keeping. I'll try to get some more pics in the next few days.
Edie
Old 2006-03-21, 9:51pm
I'm a lilac!

Actually, 5000k bulbs will help, all else being equal. The color tone is much closer to daylight so you won't get that annoying yellowing or graying-out of the colors that you get with typical incandescent or fluorestent bulbs.

Old 2006-03-22, 2:45am

Kalera, I did go ahead and order the light bulbs, right now I'm just using the Reveal 100 watts and I don't think they are enough for my camera. It is the yellowing that I'm getting from the silver, but when I shoot pics of jewelry with beads, I can get a decent pic, well decent enough to play with. I took some pictures of jewelry for my jury slides, and with the help of a graphic designer friend, they look really good, if there's color in the picture it seems to work. My problem is with shooting plain silver, I have used every camera setting, in the tent, in my window and have kept a record of every pic to see what I'm doing wrong, and for the life of me I can't get it right. I have read my camera manual top to bottom, even put the silver in the freezer to cut down on the glare and used every color of background paper I can think of. I'm to the point where I think I might just scan my silver and then tweek them in Photoshop.

At this point I would pay someone to try and get a decent picture of silver with my camera. I'll try again when the bulbs get here but at this point I am wasting so much time that I'm falling behind making stock because I am so obsessed with why this won't work!

Thanks for your input
Edie