Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-01-15, 8:32am

Default Copper Mesh at Michaels!

When I was cruising through Michaels the other day I came upon some 100% Copper Mesh fabric! It's a 16" x 20" peice of 80 mesh woven wire fabric that is perfect for cutting out or punching shapes. They also have a larger mesh that is 100% copper. I paid just under $12.00 for the package. The mesh is by Paragon, and I found it with the craft Contact paper, and some aluminum and black mesh. Works great in beads, I punched out some stars and put them on ivory then encased with clear and the copper turned a lovely deep red.
Just wanted to pass this on.
Carol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-01-15, 8:34am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

ooh cool - I will have to check mine here - and I got a coupon yesterday

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-01-15, 8:30pm
Dangerous Woman

Thanks for the info. I gotta try this out!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-01-15, 9:31pm
Sheryll

Carol,
Can you tell me which aisle? Or around what area? Thanks for the tip, I'll have to go look for this!
Old 2007-01-15, 10:25pm

Hmmm. I'm not sure just where to tell you to look, because at my Michaels, the stuff was on an outside wall, but not with anything in particular. The rack with the copper mesh also had packs and tubes of silver aluminum mesh and black mesh - you can use it for making sculptures, jewelry etc, according to the package. All the mesh was with the craft contact paper - made by the folks who make contact paper but in foils and funky patterns, so you might have better luck by asking someone to show you where that is. I wish I could tell you more, I just happened on it by luck because there were some clearance beads right beside it.
It is made by AMACO who makes a lot of arts and crafts materials, and they do have a site where I think you can order it on line. Here is the link
http://www.amaco.com/grouphome1.php?...20Metal%20Mesh
Good luck!
Carol

Old 2007-01-16, 2:26pm
Sheryll

Thanks for the pic - that'll help. My luck at getting help at Michael's isn't very good. I asked them about perfect pearls and perfect medium and no one had a clue what I was talking about. I ended up finding perfect pearls in the scrapbook aisle thanks to another shopper who happened to use it for scrapbooking. Still can't find perfect medium.
Old 2007-01-16, 5:39pm
Anna Duhame

I need to get some of this....I love Michaels!

In another thread it was suggested to use a Copper Chore Boy Scrubber...it is kind of a crocheted copper and a loose mesh, but also nice for a different effect. I tried it and it worked wonderfully!

Old 2007-01-16, 9:50pm
A Splash o' Glass

Excellent idea, including the scrubber. I've only used copper wire so far, that I take out of stereo wire. It bunches up really fast in a hot flame, so it has to go on the bead fairly cool, and then encased with clear. Makes great manly looking beads though when done on black. But as an extra bonus, the stereo wire casing fits nicely inside the holes of beads made on 3/32" mandrels, taking up that slack.

Old 2007-01-17, 6:35am
Glass Addict

It is located by the clay and sculpting section at the Michaels here.

Old 2007-01-17, 9:48am

i got mine before xmas, have yet to try it , i even got some paper dye cutouts on sale in the scrapbooking area, i cut out a few dragonflys, have to see how it works, i want to experiment with it in boro.
ro
Old 2007-01-17, 10:24pm

I went to a Michael's today, and after the third person I talked to, I found out that only some of the stores carry the copper mesh. They told me one of the larger stores here in Colorado has it, but not most of them. So if you can't find it, ask an employee if any of the other stores around have more inventory. HTH!