Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2009-09-03, 10:30am

Default Advice on Lentil Press

I have used a few presses but have the most trouble with the lentil one - anybody have any advice or tricks for using it successfully..thx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-09-03, 11:10am
Ezzy

Since this is the Website help thread, you would probably get more help if you asked in the tips, techniques, and questions thread.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2009-09-03, 11:46am
Peerless Thread Killer

Just in case you don't repost, it just takes practice to get the lentil press--or any press for that matter--right. I almost sold mine, but I decided to keep trying and it got better the more I practiced. Hope this helps.

Old 2009-09-04, 3:41pm

The first wrap should be about 1mm shorter than the width. Marver that flat and from there add about 2 wraps. Heat and roll that in the top of the press. From there you will heat and press. At that time you will see if you need more or less glass for the next bead. I then spot heat to even out edges and take out chill marks. You will also learn how to add a bit of glass where needed, but that comes with time and PPP.
Old 2009-09-15, 9:52am

I love my lentil press and actually use it about 75 % of the time and the best way for me is to make sure the bead is shaped like an olive before I press it. A little fatter in the middle and slightly tapered on each end. It takes some practice but the results are worth it. Unfortunately the amount of glass for the bead is just a matter of PPP. I make mostly beads for jewelry and the lentils seem to be more comfortable.
-Michael Malone as Jean Claude Claudel
Old 2009-09-20, 9:50pm

What type are you using? I have a couple of different ones, and I notice that I use a little bit different technique for each of them. I love my Zoozii presses the most, but I also have some that are hand held and I use them differently. They are a little more forgiving if I have more glass than I need.

I usually try to keep the footprint a little smaller than the press in any case, to allow for expansion when I press down. I try to keep the pre-pressed shape somewhat "olive" or "football" shaped. It seems to lend itself to the finished shape more than a round or tube shape.
Old 2009-09-20, 9:53pm

Also, I saw a tip here one time, can't remember who gave it, but youcan use fimo clay and make a bead with that to see about how much glass it takes to fill your press. That way, you aren't wasting glass trying to get it right. You can press over and over again with the clay to practice and not waste any glass.
Old 2009-09-22, 10:26am

My Lentil Presses (both by Catwalk and by Zooziis) are my absolute faves. It's pretty foolproof if you have a nice round ball of glass on your mandrel and make it about 2mm shorter on the sides and 1mm shorter on each end!

Hope this helps!
Lynnie

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2009-09-29, 2:47pm

Hi Renee,

Here's a link to the zoozii's lentil press tutorial, I actually use a thick black sharpie and lay it in the press and mark the left and right side less the 1mm she suggests. Then I place the sharpie on each of the marks and rotate the mandrel which leaves a round circle this way it shows up while you are rotating the mandrel in the flame.

Link: http://www.zooziis.com/pdf/Lentil%20Tutorial.pdf