Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2014-02-05, 5:17pm
Got Honey?

Default Off mandrel shamrocks FREE tutorial

I have been making these super cute little shamrocks and I thought I would share how to make them. They can be made into pendants by adding a glass loop or if you aren't comfortable with that use a glue on one or glue a pin on the back!
This is my first time posting a tutorial here and only my second time actually writing one so I hope you find it easy to follow and fun!

I used CIM Leapfrog and Moretti Sage for this one but grab a green or 2 and go, they all look adorable!

I use a pair of small mashers but any will do, a razor tool, glass shears (or whatever pair of scissors you have around) and a pair on non-serrated tweezers.

Heat a gather on the end of your Leapfrog rod the size you would like your piece to be, I use large pea size to small grape.

Place a stripe of Sage on either side of the gather.

I use a small masher to mash the gather and then twist the colors together.

Heat the twist back down into a ball on the end of the rod.

Using your mashers squish the gather into a lollypop shape.

Using a pair of shears cut either side of the lollypop. Use a razor tool to push the cuts a bit further apart. Now you have 3 leaves.

Heat the edge of the top leaf and use a razor tool to crease the center. If your shamrock starts to get a bit wonky use your masher to flatten and straighten it out.

Punti to one edge of the top leaf and burn off your rod at the bottom.

Using your shears again cut at an angle from the bottom on either side of the shamrock to form your other 2 leaves.

Now, use your razor tool to gently push the left over glass near the stem down onto the stem piece. Use a tweezers to pull the stem out and slightly curved. Heat up the edge of one of the bottom leaves and crease it with your razor tool, then do the other the same way.

Using the same color rod as the shamrock punti to the stem and remove the punti from the top. Gently heat the area and remove any left over glass from the punti and smooth the edge.
From here you can either add a loop or grab the shamrock with your small mashers or tweezers and burn off the punti on the stem, pulling it to a nice little point on the bottom.

And now you have a cute little shamrock!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-02-05, 6:26pm

Yay, Lezlie. Good clear instructions and pics.
Old 2014-02-05, 6:40pm
Loving learning

Nice job Lezlie! They're really cute, I'll try some once I'm up & running again.
Old 2014-02-05, 6:46pm
I fart diamonds

Nice! Thanks for sharing!!

Old 2014-02-05, 6:47pm
Got Honey?

Thank you Peggy and Eileen! Your comments mean a lot to me
I can't wait to see yours Eileen!

Old 2014-02-05, 6:48pm
Got Honey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Nice! Thanks for sharing!!
Thank you Shawnette!

Old 2014-02-05, 6:59pm

Leslie

Thank you for sharing...I've been shy about trying off mandrel, but plan to try this when I can torch this spring.
Becky
Old 2014-02-05, 7:23pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

Thanks! I think I'll be making some for St. Paddy's day!

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2014-02-05, 7:37pm

Very cute Lezlie! Thanks for sharing!!

Old 2014-02-05, 8:21pm

Thanks Lezlie!

Old 2014-02-05, 8:33pm
Got Honey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadmama View Post
Leslie

Thank you for sharing...I've been shy about trying off mandrel, but plan to try this when I can torch this spring.
Becky
Don't be shy Becky! Just don't forget to warm it up occasionally in the flame and you'll be fine! I can't wait to see yours!

Tilly: Post pics!!

Thank you all for making me feel all warm and fuzzy inside

Old 2014-02-05, 11:19pm
....uhm...

Very nice!

Old 2014-02-07, 6:21pm
Adrian

Lezlie, how cute are those!!!
adrian
Old 2014-02-07, 9:09pm
Got Honey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Goertz View Post
Lezlie, how cute are those!!!
adrian
Thanks friend

Old 2014-02-08, 4:37am

Nice job lezlie, I just wish I could make a glass bale.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2016-02-27, 2:21pm
Got Honey?

It's almost that time again!

Old 2016-02-28, 8:49am

Very cute! Thanks for the tutorial.