Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-08-05, 7:06pm
Crazy Snake Lady

LoriBird: I just picked a tiny glass shard out of my foot this afternoon. I then spent the better part of an hour vacuuming and mopping because, for such a little piece of glass, it really hurt!

I was going to try using a plastic spoon to hold frit but I guess not...
Old 2006-08-05, 7:17pm

I'm also a newbie and wanted to say I appreciate the laughs I mean tips. Patty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Join the Army of Women to fight Breast Cancer. Click
Old 2006-08-05, 7:43pm
Pobody's nerfect!

If, while pre-heating your mandrel, you notice it's a little bent - don't grab it in the middle to try and straighten it out.

Little bugs make a funny sizzling sound when they fly into your torch flame.

"While we have the gift of life, it seems to me the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die -- whether it is our spirit, our creativity or our glorious uniqueness” -- Gilda Radner
Old 2006-08-05, 8:14pm

Geez let's see....

Don't try to wipe the devit off a white rod 20 seconds after it's been in the flame...

Umm if you pull a large twistie and you have two large punties on either end, DON'T tip it vertical while you look for your nippers. The large punty on top will shatter the twistie and you'll be removing the pieces from your thigh as they melt in.

Don't reach over a boro pendant just out of the flame to cover it with a fiber blanket while putting your hand on it.
Old 2006-08-05, 9:15pm
Life is change. Love it

If you get two beads sticking together in the kiln, don't try to shake them apart - you'll get five beads sticking together

Trying to clean a dirty rod under your armpit after it's been in the flame is a baaad idea

Silver leaf is the devils plaything - to be avoided at all costs

Old 2006-08-05, 9:44pm

Hmmm being a newbie I have lots of umm adventures to share.
1. When you lay down your rod...be careful and remember which end was in flame!
2. Never torch in shorts.
3. When grabbing a used stringer be careful of tips being very sharp. It feels like a needle stick and alas....the glass does break off inside your skin. I had a piece of glass in my finger for a few weeks and finally squeezed and squeezed and out came a nice 1/4 inch of yellow string of glass skinnier than a toothpick.
4. Hold on to mandrel tight. I once let it loosen enough in my hand for not more than a few seconds but enough to let it land on hand and stll have a burn scar.
5. Hot glass burns wood very fast.
And lastly...don't be so frugal that u try and use all glass in a rod. Small pieces need to be held closely and for some reason fingernails keep getting too close to flame
Thats about all I think of now
Irene

Old 2006-08-05, 9:59pm
Crazy Snake Lady

LOL Irene! I've done all 6.

My poor wood kitchen table will never be the same...

The stringers are deadly!!!

No shorts AND, after reading this thread, no low cut tops!
Old 2006-08-05, 10:42pm
Sharon

How about this one.....don't ever lay the heated glass rods down on the wooden workbench surface when you go to pick up the next color...that is what the nice heat resistant surface is for that is ON the workbench where the torch is.
Old 2006-08-06, 12:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorianAngela
Don't use the butter knife you have just had near the flame to shape a bead to then swat a mosquito on your arm...
LOL

Old 2006-08-06, 12:49am

If two of your beads get stuck together in the kiln, DON'T grab the mandrel of the one that was in the kiln with your fingers. I'll never have the same fingerprints again! LOL
Carol

Old 2006-08-06, 12:55am

Big lesson:
You can't blow a bubble with a steel chopstick!
It really does take a hollow tube.
Joan
Old 2006-08-06, 1:19am
He can do the origami

If you put a hot bead close to your lips and blow air on a bead to stop the movement of the glass DON'T I repeat D O N ' T get distracted or mis-judge how close the bead is to your mouth. You will be amazed at how quickly your lip can burn and how painful it is and how hard life is with a big burn blister on your lip.........ummm so I have heard...not like I was ever that stupid...... o.k. I really was that stupid. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2006-08-06, 4:39am
stacijane on Etsy

I'm a newbie as well and this is great! Seeing that all of you accomplished lampworkers have made the same stupid mistakes makes me feel better about my "brain-farts"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie
3. When grabbing a used stringer be careful of tips being very sharp. It feels like a needle stick and alas....the glass does break off inside your skin. I had a piece of glass in my finger for a few weeks and finally squeezed and squeezed and out came a nice 1/4 inch of yellow string of glass skinnier than a toothpick.
I have done this too - now before I put any rod/stringer down I burn it into a little "blob" at the end. no more pokeys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesmi
Little bugs make a funny sizzling sound when they fly into your torch flame.
LOL! Yes, they do! Big bugs like horseflies really sizzle!

Old 2006-08-06, 4:45am
Who me?

Don't use your fingers to burnish silver foil on a hot bead.
Old 2006-08-06, 5:25am
Glass Diva

I had the lovely experience of hot glass down the front of my shirt - so not amusing.

And thanks to a conversation with Maureen before she & Lance headed to Georgia, I know to always take my watch off before I bead -- and I take my rings on my baby fingers.

Maureen had a wicked burn on her wrist where a piece of hot glass flew under the band which had to be unbuckled to remove it and I have actually had the end of a mandrel slide under a ring on my left hand. Not painful since it was cold but getting it out while keeping my my bead round since it was soupy hot was a little tricky.

So much easier to just take rings off before I start.

Carol

Good friends are like stars...
You don't always see them, but you know they are always there.
Old 2006-08-06, 5:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleValleyGlass
Oh, and where there's smoke, there definately IS fire.

Don't ask me how I know.

~Michelle

Now that's funny! Bonnie
Old 2006-08-06, 6:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalflipz
If two of your beads get stuck together in the kiln, DON'T grab the mandrel of the one that was in the kiln with your fingers. I'll never have the same fingerprints again!
I haven't decided if it will make the FBI easier or harder to find me with my fingertips, um, rearranged?

When you get two (or more ) beads stuck together - go ahead and clean them and put them in your wonky bowl. I was cleaning beads at the market when it was slow one day and had two that had joined in the kiln and a woman saw them and took them to make a funky necklace - a bolo tie? (yes I gave them to her laughing and explained they weren't *suppose* to be together). Note: you will not be able to make a co-joined bead that easy on purpose.

Variation on the thigh note: when you have a hot bit of glass land almost in the crook of your elbow - don't jerk it together or you will share the joy of melting flesh on both sides and the burns will be irritated every time you open and close your arm.

If you are tired, don't unpack and put away glass or you might swipe your arm/wrist across the ends and get a lovely horizontal cut/scars that makes people ask you if you've been depressed.

At least be prepared to have your doctor think you're a nut. Take beads to show them what you try to do.

Martha
Old 2006-08-06, 6:20am

this is such a great thread! too funny.
Ro
Old 2006-08-06, 7:11am

I *always* remember to hold the lid of the bead release while shaking...unless I need a shower or need to thoroughly clean my studio.
Old 2006-08-06, 7:34am
Incognito

Quench water in a big ol' coffee cup TASTES just like quench water.

Do not try to stop a glass rod from falling with your thigh while you are cleaning them ... puncture wound on old fat thigh and rod straight through hand web space between thumb and index finger makes a mess.

Linda
Old 2006-08-06, 7:56am
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

I think my worst bad pre habit is I used to paint n draw alot before i started lampworking, so I have been known to take a hot stringer and tuck it either behind my ear, or in my mouth to hold... tsssssssssssssss

~~
~~
Old 2006-08-06, 7:59am
Crazy Snake Lady

LOL Joan! I would have loved seeing you get all red-faced trying to blow through a solid chopstick!!!

Otter - That's one way to get the puffy-lipped look that all the models are sporting - much cheaper than collagen. Hmmm, probably about as painful too...
Old 2006-08-06, 8:02am
Back at the day job

Yep, done that one. With Blue Sludge. Flies even farther around the studio if you use wonky beads in your bead release to help mix it. They help propel the release into even more hard to reach and outlying spaces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraT
I *always* remember to hold the lid of the bead release while shaking...unless I need a shower or need to thoroughly clean my studio.

Old 2006-08-06, 8:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyHampton
Don't etch your beads in a glass . . . .
OMG! I thought I was the only one

It's great to be a FLORIDA GATOR!
Old 2006-08-06, 8:58am
First star on the right..

Don't think that just because you turned your torch off a minute ago you can grab the end of it to clean it. Let it sit a while.. LOL. Oh- and never never have your dog in your lap near the flame, this is a bad bad bad idea.

This is a great thread..........It soothed my stupidity meter ( iam NOT alone)

Last edited by TessKay; 2006-08-06 at 9:01am.
Old 2006-08-06, 9:25am
Crazy Snake Lady

If you want to etch your beads in a glass, do a whole set. Then you can tell people it's part of the pattern.
Old 2006-08-06, 10:41am

Never let your cat near the torch - tails DO catch on fire.

Bonnie
Old 2006-08-06, 11:16am
Dichro Queen

I second the caution when cleaning rods. Had a jagged end slide into my hand, hit a nerve and had a "wonky" thumb for about 2 weeks. Also, know when to say when...some beads no matter how much decoration you lavish on can not be saved. Sometimes you just have to admit defeat.
Old 2006-08-06, 11:31am
Mama said

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinders
Now that's funny! Bonnie
Hi Bonnie! Yes, we can laugh about it now.

~Michelle
Old 2006-08-06, 11:32am
Incognito

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokomis
Also, know when to say when...some beads no matter how much decoration you lavish on can not be saved. Sometimes you just have to admit defeat.

Ain't it the truth? I've polished many a turd in my day.