Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-19, 12:49pm

Default Beginner

Planning on getting a hot head type torch just to start off with. Which is better to use Propane or Mapp gas? Thanks
Old 2011-01-19, 12:58pm
Help i am on fire

propane is cheaper than mapp. mapp is hotter. i used propane w/ my HH and bbq propane tank. what glass have u ordered?
Old 2011-01-19, 1:02pm

I am probably ordering a bead making kit from Devardi which comes with their glass. I've already heard about how shocky their glass is. I want to learn so I can make Pandora style beads. Am I crazy? LOL (I already do Stained Glass and fusing.)
Old 2011-01-19, 1:29pm
Hobby Junkie

Someone recently did a poll on this. I think the hands down winner was bulk propane (grill tank).

PS. If you get a pair of locking hemostats, you can melt your stained glass scraps into beads too. Don't start with Pandora style beads though. They are tricky and you will get frustrated quickly. Worry about just making a simple small round bead first. It usually takes 50-100 of them until they start looking like anything you'd want to keep. Once you have the hang of that... then try the BHBs (Big holed beads).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-19, 2:09pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBean View Post
you can melt your stained glass scraps into beads too.
This is something that you can eaisly do, just cut 1/4" strips, most all of the fusing glass will work with no problem, you may even want to buy Bullseye or system 96 glass which ever you fuse.
Old 2011-01-20, 7:00am
Queen Tut ;)

One thing with propane is that it lasts alot longer between having to swtich out tanks, and you don't have to worry about running out in the middle of a bead. MAPP is hotter, but with 104 I don't think you need to worry about that too much.

As a beginner, I would recommend against starting out with devardi. Their glass can tend to be very shocky and a little hard to figure out as a newbie. I would recommend starting out with Moretti, CiM, and Vetrofond to begin with. Once you get the feel for it, then I would venture to devardi and check out the thread where there's a ton of info on it.
Sometimes in the Garage sale you can find folks selling shorts, which are a newbies' blessing. Gives you a chance to practice making simple basic beads and sometimes there are some awesome glasses mixed in. The only problem is they usually aren't labeled and if you like a glass alot, you won't know what it is.

Good luck!