Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-11-05, 12:27pm
Still Missing You

Don,

I'd certainly be interested. Count me in!

Thank you,

Linda
Old 2007-11-05, 1:25pm
Does it come in Purple???

Count me in

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2007-11-05, 2:57pm
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

Most certainly! Bring it on!
Old 2007-11-05, 3:31pm
boro newbie

Me too!!!!!!
Old 2007-11-05, 9:22pm

Don't want to rain on your parade. But working with tubing is not as easy as I thought. LOL. I came home from the gathering with a big torch. A thirst for blowing, and experience watching the masters . All I can said is, if you want this. It will cost you a lot of time, fuel, glass ( Boro ) and money ( Boro ) and lots of glass in the trash. Don't mean to be a pessimist. Just know what your getting into.

But still I'm going down this road too. So best of luck. And if I find a video I'll pass it on and watch here for your finds.

Scott

ESTY
Old 2007-11-05, 9:42pm
Mandrel Slayer

I second Scott's story. It seemed so much easier at the Gathering. But I intend to keep practicing as well.

Bonny

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.
Old 2007-11-05, 10:02pm
Senior Moment

I would love to learn Don.

Old 2007-11-05, 11:39pm
Fire and Fluidity

First, no its not easy, I just make it look that way because I've been doing it for 30 years. Trying to learn on your own, even with a video, could be most daunting, especially since most people making instructional videos are _not_ teachers. What is available on Youtube is mostly pretty dismal!

On the other hand, if you are in a class where you can get direct help and troubleshooting, it's not a particularly difficult technique to learn for someone who has at least some experience with boro, especially on a relatively small scale.

So, I have arranged with Kare and DawnT to post a tutorial in the "boro tutorials for boro newbies" thread in the boro room under "tips techniques and questions". I'll have it ready by February and then be available for help, troubleshooting etc online.

-Don-

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

Old 2007-11-06, 1:48pm

he he this is good, have just arraived today 10 tubes, and a hot head and mapp going to try my selv as well, normaly i use propan/butan gass, but my glass gets often miscoulors and all pinks goes metallik so im looking forward to try my new gear out, and se if i can make a x-mas ornament of some kind..

my blog:
Old 2007-11-06, 2:46pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

I'll second that boro tubing is not easy to learn. I took a class on it at Glass stock. It was grueling and difficult. Definately doable, but geez.

However, those little glaskolben points are really fun to play with....

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2007-11-06, 3:29pm
Fire and Fluidity

I seem to be missing something here. Whats a "glaskolben point?" What kind of glass and is it a point as in "pulling a point" from tubing?

-Don-

Old 2007-11-06, 3:29pm

Don,
I'm looking forward to learning something new. I'll be watching in February.
Thank you,
Darlene

Old 2007-11-06, 4:16pm

Don , I'm looking forward to your up coming tut. I can use all the help I can find. Thanks in advance.
Scott

ESTY
Old 2007-11-06, 4:26pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Don,

It's Lauscha glass, but it's 90 coe. They come in different sizes, but the ones I have are about 13mm wide tubing with bulbs that are 30mm. They were around a dollar and you can fill them with bullseye frit. I haven't been very successful in decorating them with stringer, though they are suprisingly easy to introduce to the flame with frit.

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2007-11-06, 4:39pm

Anne, For the pdf links above, you have to be able to open an adobe pdf file. You need acrobat reader to do that. It's a free download from Adobe.

Don, I'm interested!!!

I too took a Glaskolben class and loved it! You have to heat the tubes evenly and well, then blow. This should make a rounder ornament.

Holly

Old 2007-11-06, 5:22pm
Detail G-Mama!

I had to update my adobe, now I can get all the pdf's!

Old 2007-11-06, 5:45pm

Hey acme girl are you from madison too?
Old 2007-11-06, 5:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
I'll second that boro tubing is not easy to learn. I took a class on it at Glass stock. It was grueling and difficult. Definately doable, but geez.

However, those little glaskolben points are really fun to play with....
My class was with a larger torch and boro. It was fun. But going home and trying it just wasn't the same. That's why I've been on a quest for soft glass to see how it flies. I bought Lauscha tubing in several sizes and that wasn't the answer.
Old 2007-11-06, 6:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrsmith View Post
I seem to be missing something here. Whats a "glaskolben point?" What kind of glass and is it a point as in "pulling a point" from tubing?

-Don-
Don it looks like the boro tubing I brought home from class as a reminder. A piece of soft glass tubing with two points pulled.
Old 2007-11-06, 6:09pm
Type ZZZ personality

TLD Design Center & Gallery in Westmont, IL is having classes on making blown ornaments using the Glaskolben points on Nov 17 and Dec 1. I've done these and it's a lot of fun. It actually is easier to do on the HotHead. I've tried it since on the Lynx and I just melt the crap out of them!

BTW, that's me in the picture!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2007-11-06, 6:16pm
Type ZZZ personality

This is a crappy picture but these are Glaskolben points:

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2007-11-06, 9:58pm
Chrissy

Don I can't wait to see your tut .....I love my fish I got on our OBE2 exchange with his hollow body.

Old 2007-11-07, 1:30am
Fire and Fluidity

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the info on the Glaskolben points.

Chris, I'm glad you liked the fish. Those are fun to do. I should do a tut on them too, since they start with tubing and are blown.

-Don-

Old 2007-11-07, 5:41am

Hi Don - yes please do a fish tutorial! They are so cute... I am also happy that you will do the blown ornament tut.

Thanks,
Sals
Old 2007-11-07, 7:43am
giggety-giggety

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicaltess View Post
Hey acme girl are you from madison too?
Sturgeon Bay....I've taken a class with Cathy Lybarger at the Vinery. I always try to stop by when I'm down. Are you from Madison?

My etsy:

Old 2007-11-07, 10:33am
Chrissy

I was wondering if you used tubing. The fish I got was with fuschia colors on its fins..... It is soooooo awesome, I have it in one of my minature cabnets on display. Yes do a tut on them I'd love to learn or better yet teach a class.

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Chris, I'm glad you liked the fish. Those are fun to do. I should do a tut on them too, since they start with tubing and are blown.

-Don-

Old 2007-11-07, 11:28am

Don, Don, he's our man if he can't do it no one can. All together now...

Seriously, I'm excited. I enjoyed the ornament private lesson I had. I don't particularly like boro beads but would love to do more with the tubing. Thanks for trying to help us Don.
Old 2007-11-07, 2:31pm

Quote:
Hi everyone,

-Don-
Can't resist.... must be a blowfish...

I love to see some tut's also.... Thanks!

Old 2007-11-19, 7:48pm
I'm not Barbie.

Yes, Don, I'm gonne chime in here too. A tut would be awesome! Thank-you!
Old 2007-11-19, 8:42pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Not raining on any parades, but with a word to the wise - buy MORE tubes than you plan on using......I did a great class with Cindy Palmer at The Vinery in Madison about 10 days ago.....I brought home 50 tubes with the nippled cylinder end......I've got about 12 ornaments - and about 10 in the trash......maybe it's just my learning curve, but it's a challenge for me!