Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-01-16, 8:32pm
too many rods in the fire

Default Cremains type beads?

I know there are folks who make beads and incorporate a loved one's ashes into the bead.

I was thinking of trying to do something similar (my uncle just passed away), but was thinking of trying to make a hollow vessel type bead in light transparent colors and putting some of the ashes inside. I know I have seen similar hollow beads with horsehair and other types of things (seed beads) etc. inside.

I know how to make a hollow, however I am unsure of how to "finish" the bead off so the interior contents don't.. ummm, come out. Obviously, if I were to try to make a bead for my aunt with some of my uncle's ashes inside, ensuring there is no leakage is vital!!

I have tubing and a bead corer, and a vague idea that I might need to use those to achieve what I am envisioning, but if anyone can give me some ideas or pointers on how to best accomplish this sensitive bead, I would be so appreciative!

TIA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-01-16, 9:06pm
Always with a smile!

I make cremains beads but include the ashes in the actual bead. It doesn't take very much ash and it may react, use as fine of ash as you can find. I do not heavily encase these beads because there may be incompatibility issues. I have made several hundred and none have cracked. The ash may show thru the transparent glass so depends on whether you want to see the ash or not and it may turn a funny color, so always test a bit.
feel free to pm me. If I can answer your questions I will. I'm sorry to hear about your uncle. Hugs

) and
)
Old 2012-01-17, 5:36am

I have seen hollow beads for cremains that have been capped & cored.

I also make them in the actual bead & as Jill said you don't need a lot of ash, but I do heavily encase with lots of layers.

This one has the ash in the very center under frit & a little silver leaf, then the layers of floral on top. It was made for a family member.

Kerry
Attached Images

Old 2012-01-17, 8:47am
Glass-aholic

What about just gluing in the cork? or making a glass stopper that is glued in. totally sealed.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-01-17, 6:47pm

Thank you each so much for replying. I really appreciate it.

I am still trying to figure out a way to do this, and I will definitely have to make several practice beads before I attempt making the actual beads for my aunt and cousins. This is something that is sensitive so I want to make sure I "get it right."

I will try the idea of gluing in a cork in a vessel and see how that works, Jaci. Thanks for that idea - it sounds like it may very well work!

Old 2012-01-18, 11:19am

I'll be trying this myself this year. My grandma died last August and my sister wanted me to make something for her. Then my cousins heard, and now everyone wants something. At that time I was still building my new studio. Now that it's up and running I need to start thinking about this and practicing. I would be interested to see what you decide to make.

thanks-
Ana
Old 2012-01-19, 6:29pm

I will try to remember to post what I end up with, Ana! I now have to make SIX beads - yikes! I hope I can make them to everyone's satisfaction.

Old 2012-06-25, 8:25pm

Default cremain beads

Rene'

Did you ever complete and photograph the beads you made?

I would like to try doing this and would love to see what you came up with.
Old 2012-06-26, 7:06am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyGlass9 View Post
I will try to remember to post what I end up with, Ana! I now have to make SIX beads - yikes! I hope I can make them to everyone's satisfaction.
Custom orders always end up like that for me. One bead gets sold but I have several prototypes that led up to it.
Old 2012-06-26, 8:07am

I encase tiny bits of ash in beads for my memorial beads, rather than create a vessel, but if I was going to use a vessel that I wanted permanently sealed, here are some things that I might try:

1. Build a vessel on the end of a mandrel; anneal. Remove the vessel from the mandrel. Fill with ashes. Put back in the kiln, heat it up, punty to it, seal the top and add a loop. A simple way to accomplish both might be to create a small bead on a mandrel and attach the bead over the loop. You could also make a glass bead cap with a loop on top and attach in the same manner. Anneal and you are done.

2. Blow a hollow on the end of a tube (this one might be easier in boro - I have zero experience with soft glass tubing), decorate, fill with ashes (maybe using a frit funnel?), punty it up, seal it and add a loop. Anneal.

As a side note, the first time I did a cremains bead, I was asked by a coworker and dear friend to make one from the ashes of her mother, who I had also worked with. I was a little nervous about doing it - mostly because my skill level is basically advanced beginner/intermediate and I didn't want to screw up with mom. To practice I made some simple beads and a couple of faux-boro beads as samples using ashes from my recently deceased dog, and let my friend choose what she wanted. I made a number of the simpler transparent spacers into a bracelet and found that I was really comforted by wearing it. Lots of people found the bracelet intriguing, and I have since done a number of them. They'll be going up on my Etsy site and my web site since I get more requests for them than anything else (as soon as I finish my Etsy and web sites lol). I'm finding these really nice to make and they make people happy. Most of the time the preference is for really simple designs, too. Here's a couple examples:

Glass Witch: n; a sandwich to which heat and pressure have been applied
Old 2012-06-26, 8:38am

I've seen a free tutorial here that looked very good. Do a search.