Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-05-17, 11:57am
FireDancer Glass

Default etching time

I bought some etching liquid to play around with and wondering what the average time on beads are? The back says 5-10 minutes but that really did nothing to my spacers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Christy
Old 2010-05-17, 12:26pm
Experimentalist

I thought the same once so gave my beads a much better soaking. Apparently if you don't baking soda neutralize them the etching process can continue on, even when the bead is removed from the solution and rinsed.

I ended up with something that resembled the surface of the moon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-05-17, 12:43pm
FireDancer Glass

So how long did you do them for?

Christy
Old 2010-05-17, 1:03pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

What COE glass are you etching? 104 etches much more easily then say, Bullseye.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-05-17, 2:04pm
I'm a lilac!

I never had good success chemically etching Bullseye... it just didn't do well and I ended up with a weird wormy surface texture.

Old 2010-05-17, 2:13pm
Experimentalist

It was Effetre and I probably doubled the soaking time.

Old 2010-05-17, 2:40pm
I'm a lilac!

I've heard of people having problems because the stuff was old and had been in the store for a long time just sitting on the shelf, but I don't know how you would tell.

Old 2010-05-17, 4:52pm
FireDancer Glass

I have a little of both and the 104 did better than the bullseye. I am using Etch Bath and it has little glass pieces in it. Is that normal for a etching liquid to have glass?

Christy
Old 2010-05-17, 5:00pm
I'm a lilac!

Hmmm. No, I don't think so. It almost sounds like someone returned it and they put it back on the shelf for resale.

Old 2010-05-17, 5:12pm
Entropy increasing....

Some glass won't etch if you leave it there overnight. Like some of the CIM glass.
Old 2010-05-17, 5:44pm
FireDancer Glass

It was totally sealed! I am going to look up the brand and contact them or the store!

Christy
Old 2010-05-18, 3:55am

Could it have been crystals and not glass? If so, you need to shake it up more.
What color was the solution?

Bullseye doesn't etch well with Etch All. Especially the transparents.

I usually start with between 2 1/2 and 3 minutes and neutralize in milk instead of baking soda solution. Someone here posted about how it produces a "silkier" finish, and I haven't went back. It does sour the milk though so do not use this method if you are grossed out by instant chunky milk.

Kay
Old 2010-05-18, 6:05am
She's Back & Burnin'

I prefer the etching cream to the liquid, even though the liquid was easier to use.

I never heard of neutralizing in milk. hmmm...that could get expensive though. I always use baking soda.

Sara

Old 2010-05-18, 6:31am
Elphaba Lives !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn L'Rhe View Post
Could it have been crystals and not glass? If so, you need to shake it up more.
What color was the solution?

Bullseye doesn't etch well with Etch All. Especially the transparents.

I usually start with between 2 1/2 and 3 minutes and neutralize in milk instead of baking soda solution. Someone here posted about how it produces a "silkier" finish, and I haven't went back. It does sour the milk though so do not use this method if you are grossed out by instant chunky milk.

Kay
Cool !! I'm gonna have to try milk now - just to watch it instantly curdle !! LOL

Old 2010-05-18, 9:23am
FireDancer Glass

The chunks are not crystal size, they look like glass but I think it is plastic, I was able to break a chunk. Some of them are 1/4 size of my pinky nail, so visible. The color of the liquid is a puky brown!

Christy
Old 2010-05-18, 9:27am
FireDancer Glass

Called craft store and they said NO, there should not be any floating pieces of plastic or glass in the product, so I will bring it back and get a new one. Maybe this batch was bad and that is why it is not etching well. I may trade it for the creme.

Christy
Old 2010-05-18, 1:16pm
Experimentalist

My etch cream (and liquid) are always white... not brown. Shrug

Old 2010-05-18, 1:27pm
honorary bead lady

Christy
For less money go to the hardware store and buy the Whink rust stain remover.
Old 2010-05-18, 1:52pm

David,

I've only had luck with Whink removing the gray scum off turquoise, copper green etc. Have you tried it on transparents?

Kay
Old 2010-05-18, 1:55pm
Tacki

If it doesn't work you can mail me the beads and I'll try tumble etching them for you.
Old 2010-05-18, 2:19pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn L'Rhe View Post
David,

I've only had luck with Whink removing the gray scum off turquoise, copper green etc. Have you tried it on transparents?

Kay
I haven't done any transparents yet, will go test some rods, you do have to let this stuff soak a while to etch as it's less than 3.5%

I did a lt ivory base seahorse bead and forgot about it, it soaked for more than 24 hours

Please see post #13 for IMPORTANT information... http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=162234
Old 2010-05-18, 5:56pm
FireDancer Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracidawn78 View Post
If it doesn't work you can mail me the beads and I'll try tumble etching them for you.
Where did you get your tumbler? Are they spendy or a good investment?

Christy
Old 2010-05-18, 5:57pm
FireDancer Glass

I traded my stuff in for the etch creme and seemed to work good but left them in for 2 hours and then put them in baking soda water to get all the creme off. Some beads seemed to etch better than others, guess it is a PPP thing too!

Christy
Old 2010-05-18, 6:11pm
Tacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgreagor View Post
Where did you get your tumbler? Are they spendy or a good investment?
Fantastic investment, yes. Let me dig up my old thread when I bought it so you can read everything I learned...
Old 2010-05-18, 6:13pm
Tacki

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ghlight=tumble

I got the 2 barrel Lortone tumbler. I believe I bought it all from Kingsley North because it was the only place I could buy everything I needed at once (tumbler, silicon carbide grit, SS shot).

I love it because I can etch beads with one, and at the same time polish my silver cored beads with the shot in the other barrel. I love this so much more than the chemical etching.
Old 2010-05-18, 6:52pm

Christy,
When using cream, you may want to take a toothbrush with baking soda solution to them to be sure to get all of the residue off. It will stay "active" until removed.

Kay
Old 2010-05-18, 7:11pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

My etching liquid has always been brown - that is normal.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-05-19, 8:16am
I'm a lilac!

Kind of as an aside, I've had this tumbler for at least 7 years: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00027P8E4

Based on the reviews it's kinda crappy for rocks, but it does a perfectly good job of tumbling beads. I use it about once a week, overnight with fine grit and some tumbling media from Harbor Freight.

Old 2010-05-19, 9:55am
FireDancer Glass

Thanks for the info guys!

Christy
Old 2010-05-19, 3:57pm
honorary bead lady

OK I tested 5 transparent glass rods with the Whink.
After 24 hours... NOTHING!
So now I have turquoise and white in there.

Edit to add After 24 hrs the turquoise and white rods both etched, so I now have more rods soaking. I will post the results later.

Last edited by houptdavid; 2010-05-20 at 6:24pm.