TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2010-08-26, 3:32pm
Somewhat out there!

Default OMG

Naos, thank you. This was fun and so simple.

Old 2010-08-26, 5:15pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusbunny2009 View Post
Ms. Amber--you are a Goddess!!!!!

I had to post to tell you how wonderful these fire opals are!!!! I tried your recipe last night and it actually worked on my HH. I have trouble duplicating some techniques--my "storming" doesn't turn out like the oxy torches.

I love real opals, I love your fire opals, and I think I might love you! K
Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-08-26, 5:16pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Julianne - That's an amazing blue you have in each of those! I like how you melted most of the silver in - it's a very cosmic look!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-08-27, 10:06am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I updated the first page of the tut to reflect that you need to leave some silver showing when you make your swipes of Ekho. Some people thought it was full coverage over the bead but I prefer the sparkle of the silver to come through in some spots. Or not Your preference.

Old 2010-09-08, 2:55pm
Pink pink pink!

i thought i'd already shown these but obviously not as they aren't here!

Here's some hearts made with this gorgeous tutorial!

**Sparkly treats at All That Sparkles Jewellery**
Old 2010-09-08, 2:57pm
Pink pink pink!

lol i did show them! just looked in the gallery and they are there! oh well! great tutorial amber!! xx

**Sparkly treats at All That Sparkles Jewellery**
Old 2010-09-08, 2:57pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Shalaa - you did show them and I them. They were in the main Gallery thread.

Old 2010-09-08, 2:58pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Jinx!

Old 2010-09-08, 3:22pm
pyro slacker mom

mmmm, pretty...

glass color wiki:
Old 2010-09-08, 4:10pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Did I show this one yet? The fire is incredible -- I think I'll try to take a pic with underlighting too, might be fun to see it with the light coming up from the inside.

~
~
~
Old 2010-09-08, 4:12pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Yes, I love that Lea - it's brilliant!

Old 2010-09-10, 1:58am

Thanks so much for sharing such a fun and easy tut Amber!

Marianne.
Old 2010-09-10, 9:39pm

Wow those beads are so beautiful I want to eat them!
Old 2010-09-12, 12:25am

i am new to this but really can't help trying this once. these are so beautiful. it would be fun (i hope)

Old 2010-09-13, 9:47pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Man, I made some fire opals today and they look like ass

My fire opals turned out mostly green . .. maybe I made earth opals instead.

Old 2010-09-13, 10:06pm
*Desa Elliott*

Thank you, Amber, for sharing this tut. All of the beads are really pretty, and I love the depth of the colors and the bluish whispies that some people are getting. I especially appreciate your generosity right now when a lot of things are going on in my life and not many are good; it has helped me focus on something creative and good rather than dwelling on things yet to come.

That being said, I am having a little trouble getting the transparent fire and blues. My beads turn out more opaque with greenish hues *think, 'man this cold is getting me down, hack hack' kind of greenish hues*. Sometimes the fire peeks out from under the hack hack green, but I am greedy and would like more. fire, that is.

The bead that I had time today stormed into a strange shade of opaque ass.

I am working on a miniCC and an M-15, and I am trying to keep the heat down, not melt the silver into the black, or let the bead crack, and heat the Ekho until it is clear. The Ekho only gets clear at the very tip of the rod. Sooooo, I turned up the fire and tried to make more of the Ekho go clear, but that is when it turned into ass.

Um, help?

Desa

G-88
Creideamh, Sųil, Dėlseachd

(Scottish Gaelic: Faith, Hope, Love)

www.ETSY.com/shop/GothicGlassJewelry
Old 2010-09-14, 6:34am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Both Ginny and Desa, if you're getting greens, the Ekho is being placed on too thick. It really is only the tip of the rod that turns clear so the swipe of the Ekho is quite thin. So when heating the rod, watch for that clear to appear then swipe it on quickly. Then repeat. Keep the bead out of the flame before you encase. that should help with the color over the silver.

Old 2010-09-27, 8:17pm
Sarah Jane's grandma

This has been so fun to try! I was excited when I saw the tut. I love how my beads turned out! Thank you, thank you!!

Old 2010-09-28, 6:06am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Pictures! I'd love to see the results, Roberta!

Old 2010-10-04, 10:43pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Apparently the photos were off the first post for a bit but they are now back up - thank you!

Old 2010-10-05, 8:37pm

That echoed a lesson. Trying very hard. Of course, this is plagiarism pure water. But we are beginners only and must learn, repeating the work of the great masters.

Old 2010-10-05, 9:51pm
*Desa Elliott*

Beautiful pictures, Larifa! I like your beads with the lava rock beads. Nice combination.

Desa

G-88
Creideamh, Sųil, Dėlseachd

(Scottish Gaelic: Faith, Hope, Love)

www.ETSY.com/shop/GothicGlassJewelry
Old 2010-10-06, 6:44am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Larifa - Beautiful!! Are the beads strung onto a necklace?

Old 2010-10-06, 11:21am
Dancing Moon Shadows

I know my opals turn green when I've over-reduced...

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2010-10-06, 11:22am
Dancing Moon Shadows

Now THAT'S color!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea Zinke View Post

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2010-10-06, 11:28am
Happy Beadmaker!

Haha, and here's a new Fire Opal bone!

~
~
~
Old 2010-10-06, 11:38am
Just Me!

Cool

Amber,
Such a great tutorial, I'll have to give it a go...

And, everyone's beads are really smokin..........Val

Old 2010-10-06, 4:04pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Lea - I love that!!

Val - Please share your results.

Old 2010-10-06, 10:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
Larifa - Beautiful!! Are the beads strung onto a necklace?
Yes, Amber, is a set: necklace, bracelet and earrings. Thank you very much for the lesson. Lately, it's my favorite!

Old 2011-01-17, 3:18pm

Default more on fine tuning out the green

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
Both Ginny and Desa, if you're getting greens, the Ekho is being placed on too thick. It really is only the tip of the rod that turns clear so the swipe of the Ekho is quite thin. So when heating the rod, watch for that clear to appear then swipe it on quickly. Then repeat. Keep the bead out of the flame before you encase. that should help with the color over the silver.
Do you use a very light touch when applying the clear tip of the echo? I'm just feeling like an idiot, because either it's too thick and I get the greeny-yellow effect (which isn't always awful), or I apply just the tip and it's very wispy and is more like fine lines than the cloudy opal look. I look at your round beads at the beginning of the thread, and they have such a a substantial cloudy opal effect. I'm on a HH right now, which wants to reduce without trying, which has sometimes produced some pretty results. After you apply the clear tip of the echo rod, do you manipulate it in any way before applying the clear? Also, do you marver the clear as you're shaping the final bead? Thanks again--your beads are awesome! K