No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-07, 4:23pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Default Cleaning Rods

Do you prefer to clean your rods with alcohol or vinegar? Or are there other ways?

Thanks
Namaste
Rowyn
Old 2011-02-07, 4:24pm
honorary bead lady

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=183292
Old 2011-02-07, 7:50pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Thank David,

That is an interesting thread, but I'm wondering if rubbing alcohol which is corrosive, which means is dissolves metal would work. I'm not ready to start pickling, yet....although the dishwasher is an interesting idea.

Namaste
Rowyn
Old 2011-02-07, 7:59pm

I clean my rods in the dishwasher when I first get them. When I sit down to work I clean the rods I'm going to use with a lint free towel and alcohol. Works for me - might just be personal preference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-02-07, 8:16pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Sorry for the typos, I'm really tired, I've been in this forum reading all day and most of tonight.

I actually didn't realize there were pages and pages of the pickling thread which I will conquer tomorrow.

Debi, do you use cascade like I read in the other thread? I ask because I use all eco friendly cleaning products, citra dish is what we've been using. One problem, though, we have to replace our dw because the plastic is all corroding off (it was recalled and I have to get my father who own's the place to move on this, more info than ya need, I know, just the facts here....plus I've been gone for 2 years and just came back) so I'm afraid the rusty metal will just contaminate the rods???? I came back to a huge mess here, everything is, well, like a 'single' guy lived here for over 2 years, and he tried, but...what a mess! My glass is my diversion!!!

I'm too tired to think. I moved back from Florida just in time for all this snow and I'm way out of sorts....I appreciate that people here take the time to help new people. So, thanks.
Namaste
Rowyn
Old 2011-02-07, 9:56pm
Entropy increasing....

I wash the transparent, not the opaque. I used to put them in the dishwasher, but since I don't have one now, I just wash them in the sink and dry them by rolling them on a towel.

I have a bunch of stringer sized clear rods that I didn't clean and they are so scummy on the outside that I ruined a whole bead. It looks like I encased fog.
Old 2011-02-07, 10:18pm
Mad about Glass

I use white vinegar diluted in water. I keep a covered bowl of the solution and a cloth in the studio and wipe rods before using them because they still get dusty after washing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[url]

Old 2011-02-08, 8:13am

Quote:
Originally Posted by irjc View Post
Thank David,

That is an interesting thread, but I'm wondering if rubbing alcohol which is corrosive, which means is dissolves metal would work. I'm not ready to start pickling, yet....although the dishwasher is an interesting idea.

Namaste
Rowyn
Rubbing alcohol isn't corrosive and will not dissolve metal particles embedded in the surface of the glass. Vinegar will work but not as well as pickle.

Robert
Old 2011-02-08, 8:25am
The Andrea Half

I second Robert, who is a college chemistry professor and who knows his acids!

I have used Moretti clear that I have washed, vinegar'd, and alcohol'd, and while those methods made an appreciable difference, they did not come close to the level of sparkling clean I got using pickle and THEN alcohol (after I neutralized and washed off the pickle!).

Old 2011-02-08, 10:51am

Alcohol is good for dust and most finger grease but that's about it. Vinegar is 3% acetic acid (some are a little stronger) and not particularly aggressive. Pickle is a solution of sulfuric acid-generating sodium bisulfate which will dissolve many of the organic as well as inorganic contaminants on the glass surface, including most metal particles.

(I'm actually a biology prof., but have to know some chemistry as well.)

Robert
Old 2011-02-08, 12:43pm
Triumphantly Knit!

[quote=RSimmons;3396983]Alcohol is good for dust and most finger grease but that's about it. Vinegar is 3% acetic acid (some are a little stronger) and not particularly aggressive. Pickle is a solution of sulfuric acid-generating sodium bisulfate which will dissolve many of the organic as well as inorganic contaminants on the glass surface, including most metal particles.

Thank you, that is really good info and I'm glad alcohol isn't corrosive 'cause I use it in the bathroom to clean. I use diluted and non diluted vinegar, too.

I will look for a non American made lasagna type dish and a hot plate, I didn't see why electric burners are recommended, I need to go back and read every page of the pickling thread carefully. I didn't know until last night that that thread was about cleaning!LOL. I thought it was about a finishing technique....

There is so much to learn and i really appreciate the people who are willing to teach and have the patience to welcome new people again and again.

Namaste
Rowyn
Old 2011-02-08, 5:49pm

One thing to understand about pickle, it doesn't HAVE to be hot to work. I use it in a big baking dish at room temp. As a rule heat speeds a chemical reaction so you heat it to speed the process. Just let it soak longer and you can give the heating step a pass. Patience....

Robert
Old 2011-02-08, 7:23pm

I've switched in a windex/vinegar combo and it is working well for me.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-02-11, 7:31pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Thanks all who've answered. I've gotten an old pyrex dish and will get the sodium bisulphate tomorrow. I will not be heating it, about how long will it need to sit at room temp?

Is it as noxious to breathe room temp as hot? To store solution to use again does it need to stay in the glass dish or can it be kept in a metal can, would it eat thru plastic?

Namaste
Rowyn
Old 2011-02-11, 9:29pm

Definitely can not be kept in a metal can as it dissolves metal, I think there is also something in the original thread on Pat Frantz's blog about it being stable and not off gasing noxious fumes.
Old 2011-02-11, 10:01pm
one day at a time

Dawn dishwashing liquid and a plastic scrubby pad, so I don't scratch the glass. Gets all the oily residue off like a charm, and even the stuck on degraded gooey rubber bands.
Old 2011-02-12, 8:42am

I find a slight obnoxious sulfur odor even from the cold pickle, so I cover the dish with plastic film and let it sit for about 30-40 minutes. I tip the dish from time to time just to stir it around. I store the liquid in a hard plastic bottle with a plastic lid.

Robert
Old 2011-02-12, 8:57am
uncouthful cats

How often can the solution be reused? And to get rid of it, can you just dump it down the sink, or does it have to be disposed of in a different manner?

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2011-02-12, 10:05am

I don't know how long it will last for glass cleaning, but considering that there generally isn't a lot of stuff to be dissolved i would think it would last a pretty long time. Neutralize the acid with a baking soda solution before you dump it - do this outdoors and NOT in your house. It can foam up and release noxious fumes so be careful - wear eye protection and gloves

Robert
Old 2011-02-12, 11:24am
Triumphantly Knit!

Thank you Robert. I am very grateful to have your knowledge here, and I see in your sig. that you are connected to BOC, which is a program I am SO excited about. Now that I am annealing I can start to send some beads to BOC. They're still plain ole beginner beads, but they're pretty, round, and for the most part even!

Namaste
Rowyn
Old 2011-02-12, 1:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by irjc View Post
Thank you Robert. I am very grateful to have your knowledge here, and I see in your sig. that you are connected to BOC, which is a program I am SO excited about. Now that I am annealing I can start to send some beads to BOC. They're still plain ole beginner beads, but they're pretty, round, and for the most part even!

Namaste
Rowyn
Thanks rowyn, we'll be glad to see your beads when you;re ready to send them out. We can use them and the kids will surely appreciate it!

Cheers,
Robert
Old 2011-02-13, 11:54am
Triumphantly Knit!

Robert...

OK, as I'm putting my rods into the pickle.....(yes I am lazy)...do I have to take all the lables off or will they just come off in the pickle? those little suckers are hard to remove. I am not using heat.
I also thought, if I can find a tall enough glass jar, like an antique pretzel jar or the like, the rods can go in standing up and I can save the solution with a plastic lid???? me thinks????

namaste
Rowyn
Old 2011-02-13, 2:38pm
Triumphantly Knit!

How long is 'have patience' for the cold pickle? It's been about 2 hours and I don't see anything. I filled a 15" glass pyrex baking dish about 3/4 with hot water and added heaping tsp. of ph down. I think I'm gonna add another...can't remember if it's a heaping tsp or tbl and I want to get torchin' not readin'....so if someone is readin' and wants to answer I'm much obliged....

Flame here I come!
Namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-02-13, 5:55pm

There's not much to see, I just let my clear soak for 30 min or so, wash it and let it dry. If you start seeing a lot of action or color changes than something has gone terribly wring. I did get a little bubbling when I left a paper label on one rod, but that's it. It's a pretty non-dramatic process.

Robert
Old 2011-02-14, 4:06am

HI everyone,
I have been reading a lot about pickling our glass and thought this is a great idea.
I also decided to do a bit of research on the different acids.
I talked to a mgf company here that specialize in cleaning compounds and he was very helpful.
I discovered that toilet bowl cleaning is really about the same acid that is in the pickle compound.
If you google sodium bisalfate there is some info about the acid and toilet bowl cleaners.
So tonight I got out the toilet bowl cleaner and cleaned all of my clear.
I didnt heat it up , I just put it in a glass cake pan and let it soak.
Then washed it in the sink and dried it.
It looks really good, the best I have ever seen any of my clear glass rod look.
So today is the big test , I will get a chance later to get on the torch and I will try it out.
I will test it on a bead as well and a implosion marble and see how clear it really is.
I was thinking if this works then all we have to do to get rid of the cleaner is dump it in the toilet and clean that also lol.
And waaalaa it is disposed of lol.
I also use alcohol to wipe my rods clean right before I use them to remove and oils that might be left on the glass from me handling them.
Ok this was my great idea for the day.
I will let you all know how it comes out .
Hugs, Donna
Old 2011-02-14, 6:46am

H2SO4 is sulfuric acid no matter what product it comes from and it all tends to work the same way. Jeweler's pickle has some metal 'brighteners' in it along with the bisulfate - polyetheylene glycol polymers and such - but otherwise it's just another source of relatively low level sulfuric acid. Getting rid of it depends on the concentration and the amount. Pickle is stronger than toilet bowl cleaner and toilet bowl cleaner tends to get flushed in quantities less than a quart at a time so (IMHO) it would be better to neutralize pickle before you dump it down the drain.

Robert

Robert
Old 2011-02-14, 9:43am
Triumphantly Knit!

I looked at the ing of citra dish, the dishwasher detergent we use and towards the end is sodium sulfate. I googled the diff. between sodium bisulphate and sodium sulphate and the difference is a hydrogen molecule. I have no idea what that means, except when we get our new dishwasher I will compare rods cleaned in dw to rods cleaned in the pickle.

Now, I'm off to dry yesterdays pickled glass and put in a new batch and light my torch! I'm having so much fun.
Happy valentine's day everyone!
Namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible