Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-07-06, 5:08pm
Storm Queen

Question Silver glass and protective eyewear

I have regular AUR-92 glasses that I bought when I first started. Some of the silver glass I super heat and it's so damn bright that I know these glasses can't be enough protection. Has anyone using silver soft glass gotten stronger glasses? I'm looking at the AGW-203 from Auralens
Here are the filter choices for lenses....I'm debating on ordering.
http://www.auralens.net/c/18/soft-glass-lampworking

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-07-07, 5:33am
sunscreen me baby

I noticed that too. I can't remember which one it was that was so darn bright, but I grabbed my boro glasses and it worked well.

~

Old 2012-07-07, 6:09am
Formerly FishBulb

I've got some clip-ons for boro and they seem to do the trick. If I remember, I'll write down exactly what they are when I go out there next.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2012-07-07, 6:42am

I put on my boro glasses too. Amy, you might want to try either flip up or just putting a full pair of shade 3's over your 92's for the short time the glass is super bright. Looks dorky but works.

Old 2012-07-07, 8:40am
Storm Queen

Well if you all are grabbing your boro glasses that tell me enough right there. I can't layer Rebecca because I already layer my reading glasses with my AUR-92's. My eyes seem to be really sensitive so I think whatever I do I should wear a better filtered lens all the time.

Old 2012-07-07, 11:36am

I guess that would be a bit heavy. I got the stick-on readers for my 92's and it cuts the weight down and still leaves a bit of viewing area if I don't need to see that close. They are hard to find but I read something about Optix (sp?) being back in production soon.

Old 2012-07-07, 12:09pm
Storm Queen

I bought some stick-ons from Arrow Springs so those are laying around here somewhere...I never tried them.

Old 2012-07-07, 6:20pm

I have a story about having the proper eyewear. A bunch of years ago I was at Hot Time" s in the Mts. We had a demonstration by Roger Paramor. I think that was his name. Well he was making a a glass goblet at our table. So we pushed away from the table and he set up his torch at the head. He was demo and had this big torch. Non of us had the proper eyewear. Then he pulled out a hand torch in sinc with the big one and blasts us at the side of the table. I felt the burn on my cheek and I think the lady next to me did too.
When I got home my face actually peeled where I was burned and I still have a brown spot there.
Always protect yourself when you can. Even when some asshole showoff is demoing.
Old 2012-07-07, 6:32pm
Storm Queen

Jeez Pat.

Old 2012-07-07, 10:05pm

Holy Fries, Pat !

That's just wrong!

I think shade 2 welders tint might be better for you, Amy. There are some new ones at Affordable Inspirations that you could check out.

As I remember a lot of peeps had some probs getting their Auras.

Good luck!
Mandy
Old 2012-07-08, 4:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I have a story about having the proper eyewear. A bunch of years ago I was at Hot Time" s in the Mts. We had a demonstration by Roger Paramor. I think that was his name. Well he was making a a glass goblet at our table. So we pushed away from the table and he set up his torch at the head. He was demo and had this big torch. Non of us had the proper eyewear. Then he pulled out a hand torch in sinc with the big one and blasts us at the side of the table. I felt the burn on my cheek and I think the lady next to me did too.
When I got home my face actually peeled where I was burned and I still have a brown spot there.
Always protect yourself when you can. Even when some asshole showoff is demoing.
that sounds awful! why would someone so respected in the industry be so disrespectful?

but (and for the big BUTT).....the 7th sentence in that paragraph...none of us had our proper eyewear.
i got into the habbit of keeping an extra pair of cheap dydi's in the car.
Old 2012-07-08, 4:54am
sunscreen me baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
that sounds awful! why would someone so respected in the industry be so disrespectful?
This. Maybe he was afraid of your mad skills?

~

Old 2012-07-08, 7:46am
Rose colored glasses…√

I pretty much mess with TNT exclusively...I'll step away from it one day, maybe, and I've not noticed any undue brightness or resulting eye fatigue.

I have stick on magnifiers, and I love them.

Hasn't Auralens proven themselves to be problematic in the past, or am I remembering incorrectly?

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2012-07-08, 8:23am

Chrissi remembers correctly, a number of people have brought up customer service issues with Auralens over the last couple of years, so you should be aware of that.

High metal content glass does give you a much higher brightness when it gets really hot so in your case try using your boro glasses and maybe it'll be a bit better for you.

Robert
Old 2012-07-08, 8:37am

I want to clarify we did have regular didy's on just not the proper boro ones. He did that to make us jump and I guess thought he was being funny. Not.
I know some have had problems with Auralens, but I send in a pair of old frames and my script, and check and have always gotten them back in normal time. Should I go knock on wood. Humm maybe.
Old 2012-07-08, 9:11am
Storm Queen

I'm well aware of problems with Aura Lens. But were the problems mostly for prescription glasses? If you look at their selection, they are the only ones with intermediary filters instead of just the ACE 202, ACE #3 and ACE #5. Can anyone with ACE #3 lenses tell me if I could use those on a daily basis at the torch with soft glass and still actually see? My other alternative is to actually make a trip to Arrow Springs so I can see what they have in person.

Chris, it's mostly the TNT that is the problem for me. My left eye inflammation always happens after using TNT a lot. I super heat it and it just gives off such a bright white glare that I know it's the culprit.

Old 2012-07-08, 9:25am
A True Woofer

I tried ordering from Aura lens I think 2 years ago, just plain glasses with the #203 filter in the biker frame. I never got them. The good thing is they never charged my credit card, either. So no harm, no foul, but I never heard a peep from them until I inquired about the status.

Old 2012-07-08, 9:53am
Storm Queen

Well it looks like there is a Green ACE #2 but Phillips doesn't have it on thier website. Malcolm talks about it on his site but I don't see that he has any for sale:
http://www.artcoinc.com/phillips_saf..._selection.php

Sundance has some though. Maybe that would be a solution for me.

Old 2012-07-08, 10:25am

Malcolm has many things that don't make it to his website. lol
Maybe PM or call?

Old 2012-07-08, 10:49am
Storm Queen

Good point Rebecca.

Old 2012-07-08, 3:28pm
Lover of all things color

Oh darn, I was excited that Auralens could make prescription torch glasses. I use the stickon lenses also but I goth the most powerful ones and they are starting to not be enough. After I torch my eyes are blurry for awhile.

I really need some prescription torch glasses bad. Layering is just no good, too heavy.

Can someone who has gotten prescriptions from them give me an idea of the price? I didn't see any listed.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2012-07-08, 3:41pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
Oh darn, I was excited that Auralens could make prescription torch glasses. I use the stickon lenses also but I goth the most powerful ones and they are starting to not be enough. After I torch my eyes are blurry for awhile.

I really need some prescription torch glasses bad. Layering is just no good, too heavy.

Can someone who has gotten prescriptions from them give me an idea of the price? I didn't see any listed.
If you order prescription lenses from Aura Lens and everything goes smoothly, , I think the normal turn around time is 3 to 4.....months. You can get prescription lenses from Phillips.
http://www.phillips-safety.com/store...Path=40_155_61

Old 2012-07-08, 5:48pm
Lover of all things color

3-4 months!!! Good grief, by that time my prescription could have changed...LOL
Thanks for the link to Phillips, I'll check them out.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2012-07-09, 4:47pm
Naysayer

Wale Apparatus has SB which someone here recommended and I have to say I love them! They're darker than didys but not the darkest, regular glass..(not silver glass) can be too bright for me depending on the color.

http://www.waleapparatus.com/index.asp?category=25401
Old 2012-07-09, 6:18pm
Storm Queen

Interesting. It does say that the SB filters out IR too along with the sodium flare and that's what I need. Malcolm in on a mission for me so if that doesn't pan out then I may purchase some of those. Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it!

Old 2012-07-10, 7:06am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Chris, it's mostly the TNT that is the problem for me. My left eye inflammation always happens after using TNT a lot. I super heat it and it just gives off such a bright white glare that I know it's the culprit.
I purposefully tried to get to a bright white glare and couldn't. I think I'm limited by how skinny my mandrels are. The mandrel kinda' drooped in the middle of my bead before that stage.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2012-07-10, 10:12am
too many rods in the fire

Amy, I am glad you posted this - I have been having similar problems recently with some of the silver glasses being too bright when worked hot. I keep saying I need to order some new, darker glasses and just have been procrastinating.

I love the ones at Wale that Ravenesque linked to, and think they will work perfectly for me.

Please post whatever you end up getting, Amy, and let us know how they work for you!

Old 2012-07-10, 10:45am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
3-4 months!!! Good grief, by that time my prescription could have changed...LOL
Thanks for the link to Phillips, I'll check them out.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-07-10, 10:47am

And Wale has awesome customer service.
Old 2012-07-14, 6:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
This. Maybe he was afraid of your mad skills?
what, your saying it's justified that he was so disrespectful of his audience because he's so respected in the industry?

and btw, i have no skills. still learning. will always be learning. if i pull off something pretty in glass it's because the the planets are in line and the solar storm must have missed me.

i'm still not sure what exactly you meant by that. gotta love txt.

Last edited by istandalone24/7; 2012-07-14 at 10:26am. Reason: can't spell