Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-11-22, 8:07am
Fire Goddess

Default Encasing After Striking

I can make a gorgeous bead with the color strike to the rainbow and beyond but when I encase it it all changes...I don't know how to strike an encased bead...any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-11-22, 10:13am
ManBearPig

Encase it before striking it. Get it really hot, then encase it quickly. You don't want it to start to strike at all before you encase it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-11-22, 11:12am
Fire Goddess

Hi,
Thanks for responding. So hit the bead with an oxygen rich flame and then encase and then cool it until the glow is gone and then heat it up to glowing? It wouldn't matter the chemical content of the flame after it is encased, it would just be the heat striking it if encased, right?
Cher

Old 2006-11-23, 6:03am
boro color bender

Cher... you are correct. Any unencased glass on the sides is still going to be affected.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-11-23, 4:42pm
Fire Goddess

Hi Brent,
I eventually went through all the posts about annealing boro. It seems that it is a hit or miss thing with many opinions and kiln settings.
I appreciate your help. I think I am getting it slowly but surely. Or not depending on the day....
Cher

Old 2006-11-23, 5:07pm

For DAP, AP, GA TP, GA PL, etc. I have had much more luck flame striking than kiln striking. However, others have beautiful luck Kiln striking. You just have to figure out what works best for you. Good luck. -- Eric

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2006-11-24, 5:42am
Fire Goddess

Thanks Eric. I prefer to flame strike...I want to get the color to pop, anneal it and be done. I am getting ready to put in a full day out in the gargio and if I discover any cool techniques I will let you know! Haha
Cher