Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-08-16, 6:33pm

Default Amazon Bronze headache.....

I have been playing with Amazon Bronze but no matter how I work it (oxidizing or neutral flame) I still get spitting sparking, and pitting on my finished piece. The only way I can avoid this is by encasing it, and that isn't the look that I am going for. Anybody have any tips for working with this stuff?

Thanks!

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-08-16, 6:39pm
boro color bender

Yeah, the pitting and all that is part of it. It's got sooo much metal. Try working it really hot and oxydized. When the piece is done, flash it in a reduction flame. This will bring the metals to the surface. The look of this color is not smooth, but it's one of my favorites!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-08-16, 6:41pm

I get a cool metallic raku look without too much pitting, etc. if the piece is heated rather far out in the flame. I don't have much spitting or sparking when I am using it for beads, and it may be that my flame is smaller than what you are probably using. Maybe work slower/cooler?
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-08-16, 6:44pm
boro color bender

Here are some examples of how I like to use it.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-08-16, 6:44pm

LOL, talk about getting contradictory advice! It is so funny when people ask questions like this as the responses are all over the board. Let us know what you end up doing, it could be entirely different! Hi, Brent!
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-08-16, 6:47pm

Oooooh, those are gorgeous, Brent! I end up with more of an iridescent bronzey orange color with shiny green with my method. I like your pink tones! Gonna have to try that!!
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-08-16, 6:51pm
boro color bender

I was just thinking I'd try it your way too! I guess there really is no wrong way to work a boro color if you like the results.

Old 2006-08-16, 7:09pm
In search of her path....

I can use it in beads just fine but anything larger and i have the same problem eric but I love what your doing with it Brent! those ornaments are gourgeous!

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-08-17, 9:13am

Thanks everybody! Off to try it now.

Eric

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2006-08-17, 9:40am

i have had some cracking issues with this color, thin encased, anyone else?
ro
Old 2006-08-19, 10:29am

Hiya,

I love this color, used it quite a bit, usually the 82 grit powder.

Ive found i always get texture on the surface, due (like smiley said) to the metal content. I get the best results by turning my oxy way up 40psi on my mirage. Work way out in the flame, do all your shaping, and reduce at the very end to luster it and draw out the metals. I have found it really difficult to get consistant color between pieces.

My avatar piece is AB. I got a matte finish on the handle(reduced more) and a very metalic raku, my favorite for this color, for the ball.

This piece is AB on the foot, lid, and bowl, and amazon night for the stem/top.

Ro- ive found i get cracking if i overwork the piece, apply my color to thick, or of course drop my piece=)

Hope this helps.
B
Attached Images

Last edited by boroburner; 2006-08-19 at 10:32am.
Old 2006-08-19, 8:40pm

Very cool stuff. I still haven't gotten it to do what I want yet, but I am not giving up on it either.

Old 2006-08-19, 11:10pm

Try using amazon night to check that your flame is neutral, before you start with the bronze. Night is super reactive and is a good indicator of what enviroment your flame is at.
B
Old 2006-08-20, 4:46am
boro color bender

Eric... what are you wanting it to do?

Old 2006-08-20, 10:11am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
Eric... what are you wanting it to do?
Your stuff looks shiney, mine looks totally matt when I am finished. I will post some pics later today. It does look kind of cool imploded though.

Eric

Old 2006-08-20, 12:22pm

Ur reducing to much.
B
Old 2006-08-20, 1:32pm
boro color bender

Yeah, yoou much reduction. Just flash it and check it out. You can always go back in the flame for more... can't undo it though. I don't really like this color encased... I like the surface work I've done with it alot though.

Old 2006-08-20, 1:55pm

Ok, here is what I am getting. The first heart has dots of clear over AB,the second is AB imploded, and the third heart is just AB. The second picture is a close-up of the third heart.

Thanks for all your feedback.

Eric
Attached Images

Old 2006-08-20, 2:09pm

Use amazon night to test ur flame. Night has a very high metal content so itll start to build crystals almost imediatly if you have a reducing flame. Once you can put night into the flame and have it stay black you have a true oxydizing flame. work the AB in this flame. Do all your shaping, color application etc with this flame. Once everything is done reduce the piece, simply flash it, dont get it hot enough to make anything move. I do about 3-4 sec at a time and check my development, then back in if i want more growth. Its helpful to look at your piece in hologen light during this process.
B
Old 2006-08-20, 2:24pm

Well, I don't know what you are dithering about. I like them. Espelcially the one heart that is in the middle. Go figure I would like that one. Any way that is my opinion. If you don't like it I have a place for it in my home. Hint Hint.

Rose Leslie
Old 2006-08-20, 5:53pm

My flame is very oxidizing where I tested it, but I do realize that I have this tendancy to get closer and closer to the the cones as I work, and I think that is what is happening. I need to work farther out, and pay attention more so that I don't end up two inches from the cones when working this color.

Thanks again for all the tips!

Old 2006-08-20, 8:35pm

May very well be it.

Its deffinetly one of the more tricky ones ive come across. But if u hit it, its blingin!
good luck
B
Old 2006-09-17, 3:11am

Eric,
It almost looks like the rod needed to be mixed up before you used it. I have a couple of rods that have burnt out in a little section like this.

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2006-09-17, 7:38am
Nah, not really...;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamn!
Eric,
It almost looks like the rod needed to be mixed up before you used it. I have a couple of rods that have burnt out in a little section like this.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 2006-09-18, 6:13pm
I'm too sexy for my shirt

I think the hearts are beautiful!!! I love the colors. If they need a home, they sure would look good on my neck.

Jerri
Old 2006-09-19, 12:43pm
ManBearPig

Supposedly lightly rubbing it with some steel wool will remove the metallic areas...

Old 2006-10-01, 5:31pm
needs to light the torch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley

Here are some examples of how I like to use it.
WOW! Gorgeous Brent!

Old 2006-10-02, 5:28pm

Yes I was thinking how pretty the color was but never said anything! Yummy!
Brent What kind of torch did you use for those?

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2006-10-02, 9:23pm
boro color bender

Thanks for the kind words. I need more of this color. I should be heading to my supplier soon. The reminder is timed perfectly. My brain is toast these days.

I think it was on my Cuda... yep, pretty sure it was the Cuda. I used my Mirage for some of it as well. Both will work well. Just oxydized and hot hot hot... then reduced at the very end.

Old 2006-10-04, 7:46am

Just wanted to share the non effects you can get from Amazon Bronze! LOL Although I did try reducing and fuming some, and got some(ok, very few) neat colors...this set is just well, just reddish brown....LOL

Jen